When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese 3714 Review

b16a2

Thanks for the review, b16a2. I'm getting hooked on this watch- I like the gold case/white dial/dark brown croc strap the most. Even if you spend a few hundred dollars servicing it, it's still cheaper than the gen by a long shot, and if I bought another gen, there woould be hell to pay from my wife!

• Like 1

Great write-up and analysis. A great contribution to the forum.

I do love this watch...but like many, am afraid of the movement. The graphite treatment seems to work...so maybe that is one solution to it. Inaccuracies aside...the watch if stunning...one of the most elegant in the IWC line...and the inaccuracies are so minor that this is a really nice rep to get.

Thanks for the great read.

Excellent review :thumbsupsmileyanim:

For me, the quickest way to tell a gen apart from a rep (from pictures), is the "bite" that is taken out of the top of the "6" on the gen:

img10192578208cj1.jpg

(Also, the color of the blue hands...But that can vary due to lighting).

Anyone interested in brushing the case back can see my complete instructions here.

Thanks for the comments everyone, the 3714 was a pleasure to review, it's such a beautiful watch.. Just to note the crown is fully extended in some of the pictures, I forgot to push it in, so it gives the illusion that the crown is too wide (but it is not).

I've been enjoying reading your reviews, and this is another great one.

I really like the way you express yourself. It's a joy to read something so well written. Your passion for watches just shines through.

You've got me thinking about selling my first born son to get a gen Porto Chrono. Sadly I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify this particular grail.

Thanks anyway and keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

Great review b16a2 of a fantastic watch. I fell in love with this watch but what I have read in the last days it is maybe a unfortunate love. I have some (nooby) questions to that watch.

- will this problem with the movement by the sec at 6 came in any case/watch or is there let's say a 50/50 chance?

- is there no way to change this incorrect working movement to a other one?

- is it right that this graphite method is just tested for a short time (a few month) what could mean, that the problem can come back every time.

and last question, could everybody with watchmaker experience solve the problem if it happend? (My fingers are all thumbs)

By the way, I have to say sincere thank to seadweller4000 for his review about the SOH46 and his recommandation. I bought this watch as my first rep and this piece is working so accuracy and it is a pleasure the wear it. And now the "hunting" has started for me. ;)

Champ

Great review b16a2 of a fantastic watch. I fell in love with this watch but what I have read in the last days it is maybe a unfortunate love. I have some (nooby) questions to that watch.

- will this problem with the movement by the sec at 6 came in any case/watch or is there let's say a 50/50 chance?

- is there no way to change this incorrect working movement to a other one?

- is it right that this graphite method is just tested for a short time (a few month) what could mean, that the problem can come back every time.

and last question, could everybody with watchmaker experience solve the problem if it happend? (My fingers are all thumbs)

By the way, I have to say sincere thank to seadweller4000 for his review about the SOH46 and his recommandation. I bought this watch as my first rep and this piece is working so accuracy and it is a pleasure the wear it. And now the "hunting" has started for me. ;)

Champ

Thanks Champ, the 3714 is one of the nicest watches on the market at the moment. With regards to your questions;

1) It's very difficult to put a probability on the liklihood of the movement surviving, there is only one thing that is certain....it is a ticking timebomb.

2) Unfortunately the rep makers haven't designed a new improved movement. The Zigmeister has written extensively on how they could improve it (less transfer gears and more jewels) but the rep makers never listen. There is a member selling genuine IWC movements, but whether the genuine movement would fit into the replica case without modifications is another question. Although IWC use the 7750 is used as a base movement, the thickness of the two movements is unlikely to be the same due to the different methods used to transfer the running seconds.

3) Again, it's difficult to attribute a length of time that graphite treatment will extend the movements life by. Some have been running for a year since the graphite trteatment was introduced, I remember FxrAndy's 3714 ran for years without the treatment.....and still is for that matter. The graphite treatment has had great results in reviving 'dead' movements so it should help in adding to the longevity of the life of the movement. As far as I know, there hasn't been any tests to see if it reduces the stress on the movement or not (i.e. the amount of resistance on the movement caused by friction before and after the treatment is applied)

My advice would be;

A) Buy the 3714, have the graphite applied and hope for the best

B) Buy the 3714, remove the gears that transfer to the six o'clock position, thus freezing the seconds at six. This will prevent the extra resistance on the movement from ocurring.

C) Do neither of the above and pray to God it keeps running :)

If I could only buy one new rep for the rest of my life, this would be the one -- if I could feel comfortable with the reliability and survivability of the movement. As it stands I have held out since the first generation of the Portugese came out.... and I will likely wait longer.

Thank you, though, for your excellent review, and for reminding me why I love this watch so much (or perhaps despite reminding me why I love this watch so much).

Agreed great review! Which of the rep makers in your collective opinions are making the finest IWCs? Ive been looking for an "ultimate" model but have yet to see one. Thanks! Tony

Tony, The Ingeneur sold by most dealers is an ultimate (with date wheel swap and AR), and the GST is fantastic as well. Many people also rave about the Cousteau, although I've only seen one Cousteau rep briefly at a get-together.

If I had to reduce my collection down to only one brand, it would be IWC, no contest.

JKerouac, thanks! Have you used Watchmark in the past? The author apparently likes them. I checked out the site today, 'timeshops.com' and I noticed several other items, including wallets and purses for sale. Dunno made me feel a bit odd...I think the collectors should be purists, no? :)

Great review, thanks for this informative post!! :1a:

Still love the 3714 - 01. It is a great dress watch.

I once made this gen-rep comparison set-up with mine:

3714_001_m-1.jpgIMG_2094-2.jpg

I put it recently in the Watches area for sale since I do not wear it much wih its black gator strap.

Yesterday I found this great combo with a HK Tan custom brown strap that I would wear much more considering the colour of my belts and shoes.

Having a great HK Tan on my 3717, I am now seriously considering to go for this combo and withdraw the offer!! :rolleyes:

HKTantailoredstrap.jpg

Wear 'em well!

• Like 1