When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Into Reps since 1986, can't belive I did not find this sooner

Ronin

Hello everyone,

I wish I would have know about this forum sooner. Where should I begin...

The year was 1986, I was in high school. I had a friend who's parents made frequent trips to HK. Well, as fate would have it, my friend was kind enough to hook me up with my first SUB rep. Mind you it was '86, and this turned out to be a "Quartz" rep. None the less, to a high school kid in a mid-west suburb where the only Rolex most people ever saw was on James Bond-- it proved fun, and even a hit with aspiring girls ;-). Funny thing is, I wore this watch every day between 1986 and 1990, and it still runs today! However, I would not be caught out in public with it, it is more a sentimental, historical piece for me now. Here is a photo link to it. Click to enlarge.

img1490fx7.th.jpg

My first rep in '86

My second rep was a 'street' err 'beach' purchase back in 1995 on Venice Beach!!! This time a full auto, "glass back" SUB. This was fun for knocking around with, and a bargain, but still not up to my standards, but it does have a great date wheel, bracelet and the movement. Oddly enough, this thing keeps near perfect time ~1 - 2 seconds a day, and still runs 14 years later.

At any rate since then, I have had many friends bring me back reps from their overseas trips. Unfortunately, the quality of many leaves much to be desired. Out of 6 recent reps, only 2 are decent.

This is why I am turning to this forum, and my skills as a modder / tinkerer. Out of the 6 current reps (SUBs, GMTs, Daytona, Navi's), each has some redeeming qualities. So, I have invested in some tools, and thus Frankewatching.

Finally, I am a huge 'vintage' Rollie fan. Thinking of picking up a 5512, or Mil Spec-- and hmm I need to research the Tiffany version. I figure I should be able to find some good options here. I have also discovered the better Navi's and SOH 46, and the PRO-HUNTERS.

Looking forward to modding, and acquiring new toys!

Total Reps = 7 Total Gens = 4

-Ronin Q.

P.S. @By-Tor. My first RUSH concert was the Permanent Waves tour, and I have had written correspondence with Neil about books. I play a Rickenbacker 4001...

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find the scope, volume and quality of info on this forum STAGGERING!!! Read the brand guides in each area and if you're into Frankens...we have some of the best Franken models around pictured in our fun little forum.

Read the Noob Guide in my signature and I think you'll find a lot more info to get you up and running quickly.

For some inspiring Franken work...check out:

Ubiquitous' Frankentonas

Lanikai's 1655 The Zigmeister-Franken

Welcome aboard! Better late than never. That picture is awesome! I wish I still had my Datejust rep from 1987!! I think it costed $10 bucks, worked for about 6 months, and then I threw it away.

You and me both Chief. I had a Day-Date rep that was quartz that I loved back in about '87...and now, it was so oxidized and made of aluminum, with faded worn gold. It really would have made the Hall of Shame proud...but foolishly...I threw it out. I should have kept it for one of those "You've Come a Long Way Baby" threads.

Yes, in retrospect I am a bit embarrassed that I actually wore it. Young and dumb. But on a kid 16-18 at the time, it was pretty harmless. Ohh, I forgot at the time, I also had my friend bring me back a ladies date-adjust for a girl I was seeing. That one failed in about 6 months.

Ahhh, youth... :rolleyes:

P.S. @By-Tor. My first RUSH concert was the Permanent Waves tour, and I have had written correspondence with Neil about books. I play a Rickenbacker 4001...

You'd be amazed how many people are Rush fans in this community... I think I've received at least 50 pm's regarding the band over the years... from different people. :D

Welcome indeed!

welcome to RWI

I as well have been into reps for about 15 yrs.. started with a gold mens rep day date with gold dial.. then bought a couple of submariners, then an Explorer II... i didnt find these forums until a few years ago but its changed by rep collecting experience and the level of my reps has gone from crap to nice frankens with gen parts.. and the funny thing is.. i'm not spending as much on reps as i did 5 yrs ago. lol.. being educated, makes you a smarter shopper.

You'd be amazed how many people are Rush fans in this community... I think I've received at least 50 pm's regarding the band over the years... from different people. :D

Welcome indeed!

From a real capital 'F' fish (me) to a rep guy who's now an RWG fish (you), isn't this place great? I haven't hardly gotten any work done since I joined here. I had no idea there was such a hardcore, knowledgable rep community...no idea at all.

re: Rush...my first one was the Moving Pictures tour...awesome show.