When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make your dial to look "vintage"

stealthy

Hi.

I'm a noob here and trying my best to learn from this forum.

(So, please be kind :rolleyes: )

Well, I am big fan of vintage rolex submariner and sea-dweller.

I bought this beautiful vintage double red sea-dweller from "Trusty" or Andrew.

I love this watch, but...

The lume of the dial is looking brand new and glossy and the printed letters on dial also shiny and glossy.

I want to make this watch look real vintage.

I guess I need to make the dial matte and lume to not-glossy.

I tried to search this forum with keyword such as "vintage", "wear-out", "dial" but

I could not find right guide or pictorial how to make a dial look vintage or worn-out.

So can somebody help me find right post for this issue?

Thank! and Happy Chinese New Year to all members in this forum.

As I recently learned in another thread here, first for the general wear and tear, a 30+yr old watch will have some dings. Try the "coin treatment" put in in your pocket with a bunch of coins to add some scratches etc.... If you want a weathered look to the exterior.

Finally, my experience with some rep dials, and hanging my arm out the car window, is the sun light does a wonderful job of fading the dial. You may not have the time or sunlight (where I live we get 300+ days of sun), but maybe a strong UV light source....

If you are willing and able to disassemble the watch, an old "Hollywood" trick to reduce luster is hair spray. Obviously you would only want to hit the dial. I can NOT vouch for this on a watch however. Props and cars yes...

Just some random thoughts. I am sure the pros will chime in soon.

-Ronin

• Like 1

The effect you're trying to get is quite easy to do actually. Disassemble the watch and put just the dial and hands in the oven! Medium heat for awhile, just take them out whenever you're satisfied with the ageing effect. The dial is going to get flatter and duller and the lume is going from white to yellowish and finally starts to get brown, just stop when you're satisfied. You can also spray it with matt clearcoat, but be advised that that turns the lume even more yellow, so if you started with the oven treatment, you maybe want to finish that before you're satisfied, due to the combined effect. Been there, done that...

The reason for the clearcoat isn't in my opinion mostly for dulling the dial, it's more for getting an uneven surface on the dial which some old gen dials have but not all! Therefore my recommendation is go for the oven treatment only! Oh, and don't forget that the dial and hands may need different lenghts of exposure (the dial takes longer if the memory serves me correctly).

Good luck!

Just did a test on a dial that I bought from BigCrown, put it in the microwave for 10 minutes and use the grill function! The indices will raise and get a nice patina.

I also did one hand and the metal gets a strange color to ;)

Now I have to find a way to get rid of the glossy, so hairspray is a good solution?

Originaldial

Toasted dial

Toasted dial

Toasted hand

I've used tea and coffee - had more success with coffee.

The oven trick is intriguing I'm going to give it a whirl. Marble, did you really put your dial and hand in the microwave, or an oven?

I just did it half an hour ago, the only thing is you have to use a combi microwave with grill function and only use the grill. Do not use a regular microwave.

micro1.JPG

• 5 years later...

coffee isnt really good for it.

i think coffee mixed with sugar actually sticks to the dial if you wanna try that.

coffee never really worked for me.

if you dont like the way coffee looks, you can usually brush it with water and clean it off.

the few vintage subs i built, i just re-lumed the dial/hands, spray a few layers of matte lacquer and toast it a little under a halogen lamp.

gives it a pretty good looking finish. 

Less is more when it comes to patina. Most gens I've seen have been well looked after and have subtle signs of aging. Here's my 1665 with the following specs:

1665 from PC

703 crown

Singer dial, lume lightly stained with tea, light coating of matt varnish

Yuki insert and pearl

Polexpete DWO

Shaped CGs

Drilled out lugs to 1.2mm

Softened case

Tudor ETA hands

ETA 2846

c0f5afb531b3120c802eacaa31947799.jpg

9307048a0966d767cc5af7403ad13cd5.jpg

44b79a7c3faac4c814c6987dd68a066a.jpg

0a66fc0a24e158829a1275e6b4005fe6.jpg

A few more builds with varying levels of "patina".

5513 PCG

9a108d33c56e2a8dc3e116d0420012ce.jpg

2a72379b25557349f128ce18f3998b33.jpg

5513 feet first

7b93a875fc009d5baf5fd5555517dc90.jpg

5513 meters first

4c8637228bc303ca1b32f2900d1b2575.jpg