When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's Your Daily "Beater" ?

lanikai

I have had my beater watch for 5 years.. and it's time to put it to rest .. only because after 5 years of daily use.. and I do mean 7 day's a week, 356 day's a year ~ from 1am until 5:30 or 6:30 am it is running erratically.

I have gone through only one other strap .. and rather liked the patina it formed until the keeper just disintegrated. I have tried smaller dials but at that time of the am the Fiddy is great !! Especially when I am working with a stringent deadline for my workers.. with customers that are less than understanding at times. The dial is so easily seen without really having to look directly at the dial..

over a 5 year period I have buffed out enough scratches from the mineral glass :rolleyes: .. so it dosen't look all that bad ..

wristchecks019jl2.jpg

so what ya got on your wrist as your beat up beater ?.. unless of course your a "Suit" .. then your version of "beater" would be um... a little different in relationship to the term.

What makes yours your fav ? practical ? fashion ? .. other ?

Let's see those beat up beaters .. How long has yours survived the rigors of daily wear ?

Thanks in Advance :)

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

I don't really have a beater because I try to swap the watch every day... so none of them really get abused.

But my brother isn't as easy on his watches. Here is his SMP Bond rep from Paul. It was purchased in spring 2005 and it still runs like a champ despite all heavy wear.

I don't really have a beater because I try to swap the watch every day... so none of them really get abused.

But my brother isn't as easy on his watches. Here is his SMP Bond rep from Paul. It was purchased in spring 2005 and it still runs like a champ despite all heavy wear.

166875-10851.jpg

thanks BT.. the SMP would make a great working piece !!

I like to swap watches daily too ... I still have the rest of the day to deal with.. after I deal with my business B)

Got my BCE that I have worn hard for over 2 years.

DSC000571.jpg

Wear others out, but this is the daily beater that stays on the wrist for everything. The close up looks even worse...

DSC00057a.jpg

But it is keeping very good time, seems to be accurate to within 30 seconds a week. And having screws not pins helps the bracelet stay on when I need to use a chainsaw.

But really, it just needs a good wash I think...

i'm like BT and switch out my watches either daily or weekly.

but my all time favorite beater is my WBK (dealer on another forum) Rolex GMT II Pepsi

_161florida2008.jpg shown here underwater with Narikaa's sub (narikaa's sub did not make it after the swim at the resort pool :( )

taking nephews and niece to the annual pumpkin festival circlevilllepumkinfest20082.jpg

circlevilllepumkinfest200818.jpg

i've had it for a little over a year and a half, keeps great time, the diver extension is broken on it but aside from that it's a keeper :):) and gets lots of use!

Since the mental downsizing, and then forced sale of my collection, this one has really stepped up to the plate as my daily beater :)

DSCN0929.jpg

It's got a couple of nicks out of the edge of the crystal, a scuff on the bezel insert, and will hopefully pick up a few more knocks before I get round to building V2.0 later in the year when finances allow :) Here's a few more pics of my hybrid :)

DSCN0822.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

DSCN0917.jpg

I don't really have one... I rotate frequently. If I just want to wear something and don't care if it gets scuffed up it would be the below..

dsc09238vz3.jpg

Water resistant so I don't have to fear rain/snow...

Thick layer of gold so I don't have to worry about fading...

Solid Swiss movement means its reliable...

and "imperfect" enough that I don't really mind if something happens to it.

Since the mental downsizing, and then forced sale of my collection, this one has really stepped up to the plate as my daily beater :)

DSCN0917.jpg

this is really a Cool image TJ.. saw it on wristi.. but was captivated by your 'Village pic..

my daily beater is my working watch whilst in my district.. it is now 6:43 am and I have swapped to my 16570 .. having breakfast of lox and bagel, waiting for the rest of the coffee shop gang to arrive.. then off to the gym in a few hours.. and maybe one more swap for a late lunch/dinner with friends .. then home ..

wow, you guy;s only wear one watch per day.. try getting up earlier.. more hours .. more timepieces to wear.. :lol:

this is really a Cool image TJ.. saw it on wristi.. but was captivated by your 'Village pic..

my daily beater is my working watch whilst in my district.. it is now 6:43 am and I have swapped to my 16570 .. having breakfast of lox and bagel, waiting for the rest of the coffee shop gang to arrive.. then off to the gym in a few hours.. and maybe one more swap for a late lunch/dinner with friends .. then home ..

wow, you guy;s only wear one watch per day.. try getting up earlier.. more hours .. more timepieces to wear.. :lol:

Thanks bro, I think it's one of the best shots I've taken, it's certainly the one I'm the most pleased with :)

Before I really got into collecting, I tended to buy a new watch every year, so would simply wear that watch constantly, and I think that habit is why I change watches so little. Special occasion or particular circumstances, sure, but for the most part, I tend to just wear one watch and wear it exclusively, so when it came to building this hybrid (and planning V2.0) I wanted to build something which would give me the most versatility in form and function... Lume, diver's clasp, GMT functionality etc... Okay, a date window would be nice, but, I do prefer the look of the dateless Rollies. I think what I've built gives me everything I need, V2.0 will just be to 'iron out the kinks' and improve on what I've already done (such as larger hands) :)

Thanks bro, I think it's one of the best shots I've taken, it's certainly the one I'm the most pleased with :)

Before I really got into collecting, I tended to buy a new watch every year, so would simply wear that watch constantly, and I think that habit is why I change watches so little. Special occasion or particular circumstances, sure, but for the most part, I tend to just wear one watch and wear it exclusively, so when it came to building this hybrid (and planning V2.0) I wanted to build something which would give me the most versatility in form and function... Lume, diver's clasp, GMT functionality etc... Okay, a date window would be nice, but, I do prefer the look of the dateless Rollies. I think what I've built gives me everything I need, V2.0 will just be to 'iron out the kinks' and improve on what I've already done (such as larger hands) :)

what this say's is Emily will not have to wonder if you will stray ^_^ .. it would seem in all likelyhood that you are devoted, and loyal.. a "One woman Man".. that is cool ma Brotha!!

Your marriage will last, and no need to change movements either.. :lol: that say's a lot about your character !!

I don't have one - all my watches are shiny and new even if they are old. Plus, I don't believe in the tool watch really either. If I'm doing something that could potentially bang up a watch, I'm not wearing one.

That said, my darling future wife does have a daily beater, which is a Chronoswiss Kairos rep I gave her. She has three gator straps for it - white/pink/blue - all HR's with speedpins so she changes them herself based on attire.

It looks great with all the colors which she also switches off with a Titanium Skaken which I got as a gift long ago and never wore. She loves that too as it is so light and comfortable so I gave it to her. Anyway, she mixes and matches the straps between the two watches so use your imagination...

cs1r.jpg

Skagen1.jpg

Skagen4.jpg

I don't have one - all my watches are shiny and new even if they are old. Plus, I don't believe in the tool watch really either. If I'm doing something that could potentially bang up a watch, I'm not wearing one.

That said, my darling future wife does have a daily beater, which is a Chronoswiss Kairos rep I gave her. She has three gator straps for it - white/pink/blue - all HR's with speedpins so she changes them herself based on attire.

It looks great with all the colors which she also switches off with a Titanium Skaken which I got as a gift long ago and never wore. She loves that too as it is so light and comfortable so I gave it to her. Anyway, she mixes and matches the straps between the two watches so use your imagination...

cs1r.jpg

Skagen1.jpg

Skagen4.jpg

You are too, "Metro" after leaving our fair Islands brah !! .. what did you turn into :wounded1:

and Umm....you own all genuines .. and your future "Lovely,, intellegent Wife" .. ya got her "A".. Rep.. :whistling: ... and you gave her a watch that was given to you ??... ahhaa... "Rewrap"!!!!! :shock:

Well, at least some things don't change.. :lol:

what this say's is Emily will not have to wonder if you will stray ^_^ .. it would seem in all likelyhood that you are devoted, and loyal.. a "One woman Man".. that is cool ma Brotha!!

Your marriage will last, and no need to change movements either.. :lol: that say's a lot about your character !!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my brother :) I live by a very strict policy of "look but don't touch" :lol:

I've been very much the same with everything my whole life, watches, clothes, foods, movies, you name it, there might be 'something new' which might attract my attention, but it never goes beyond 'looking', and it's the old favorite which always wins out in the end :) In a way, my beater should be the SMP I bought with my inheritance money, but, that doesn't have the GMT function of my hybrid, so my choice is one of function over form, and, I don't think anything can top the satisfaction of utilizing something daily which I built myself, to look and function precisely as I intended (well, as much as is reasonable :lol: ) :)

Although not a rep, by beater / most worn watch since 1996 when I picked it up on Grand Cayman for ~$350.

Funny thing is, Sector basically rep'd a Breitling Colt dial, ~lex style hands/bezel, bracelet in a 40mm package. Very comfortable.

There are BURN marks, melted metal, on the bracelet from where I accidentally, with the help of a wrench, bridged battery terminals on a car battery! Ouch!

STE200

img1552of0.jpg

I need to open it up soon, the Chrono has started acting up. :(

-Ronin

You are too, "Metro" after leaving our fair Islands brah !! .. what did you turn into :wounded1:

and Umm....you own all genuines .. and your future "Lovely,, intellegent Wife" .. ya got her "A".. Rep.. :whistling: ... and you gave her a watch that was given to you ??... ahhaa... "Rewrap"!!!!! :shock:

Well, at least some things don't change.. :lol:

Yeah right. Now my brother is beating on me too around here. Sheesh...

Of course ya jump to conclusions on ole' RobbieG. I'm as island as ever BTW - except the weather ain't as good here - but that is another thread probably.

And as for the gens - I said these are her beaters. What isn't shown is the gen YG DJ and the gen Piaget Altoplano she has - or the diamonds or the trips to Canyon Ranch, Benz, etc...Don't get me started. Spolied doesn't even come close to describing it. Trust me, I could finance a Central American rebel war with the money I've spent on that girl. Add up my gens then double then double it again you will be close to what I'm throwing down for love - and I don't regret a second of it. I'd buy her the sun, moon, and stars if I had the jing...

I know you are just bustin chops though... :D

Yeah right. Now my brother is beating on me too around here. Sheesh...

Of course ya jump to conclusions on ole' RobbieG. I'm as island as ever, but that is another thread probably.

And as for the gens - I said these are her beaters. What isn't shown is the gen YG DJ and the gen Paiget Altoplano she has - or the diamonds or the trips to Canyon Ranch. Don't get me started. Trust me, I could finance a Central American rebel war with the money I've spent on that girl.

I know you are just bustin chops though... :D

Sheesh... every strand of hair in place no doubt .... :rolleyes:

"If ya love something.. set it free .. if it does not return .. Hunt it down and kill it..." :D

but what's money to someone you love.. :rolleyes:

they say Marriage is bliss...... they say divorce is like giving everything you own to someone you hate... :D .. so much for ma words of wisdom concerning martimony..

pre nup... pre nup.. hide what ya got offshore ...... women have sonar and radar.. so hide it well ma brotha.. :p

I got the loot buried under Fast Eddie's in Kailua. I have a treasure map. We could go dig it up and have a big party right after.

And she actually asked for a prenup. There is a practical girl. A woman who actually thinks things shoud be equitable if they should ever end. Imagine that. No wonder I'm marrying her...

I got the loot buried under Fast Eddie's in Kailua. I have a treasure map. We could go dig it up and have a big party right after.

And she actually asked for a prenup. There is a practical girl. A woman who actually thinks things shoud be equitable if they should ever end. Imagine that. No wonder I'm marrying her...

Fast Eddie's is no longer "Fast".. in fact he's no longer a part of this world..

good for you Little Bro. .. don't wanna tell you .. "I told ya so".. B)

be happy brah !

Matching timepieces.. (corny) :p

So Eddie made off with my dough then - or is the club still there at least so I can dig it up?

you wouldn't recognize Kailua anymore.. or most of Oahu .. especially the North Shore.. Gone are the "Country" settings that made it special.. there's a highway going through the North Shore .. sad man.. sad... when we used to surf the "Pipe" back in the day.. you drove through pretty much a dirt road to Ehukai beach park.. now it's a modernized park along the highway .. Mansions all over the creation especially Pupukea .. I don't go there anymore.. even to eat shave ice.. I would rather keep the memories of when the North Shore was Surf and cow pastures.. with mushrooms early morning... B)