When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I have experienced a bit of Heaven on Earth !

lanikai

It started out as a simple excusion to see about getting a 1930's Rolex appraised .. and I found through referals one reputable Timeshop that is certified by Rolex. But I had no idea what I was in for !!

It was recently relocated a few doors down from the previous location, and at first I thought they were closed until reading the sign on the door that took me to the other side of the complex (downtown, as we say in Hawaii)..

Now I must state, that because of the knowledge (although, compared to the experts here.. limited) I recognized immediately some of the pieces on display.. not "for sale" mind you.. but more as a museum of sorts..

But to back track.. it was a very nice showroom, and the owner came walking out from the back .. now I was not dressed in a suit nor resonable business attire.. (this is Hawaii B) ) .. but he greeted me with a humble , friendly smile.. and as I was passing a display, my head did a 180 degree 'jerk".. a chiropractors dream movement !!.. and in the display was a Explorer I. 3-6-9.. before the "Superlative' font was printed on the dial .. and some 5513's .

all I could say was ... WOW .. this is the Explorer Model that came out right after the Everest Expedition.. at which time his smile turned WIDE .. and he said .. Yes, it is that one. he then undid his own timepiece and handed it to me .. it had the same font as the one Sir Hillary had on when he conquered Everest.. "Precision" font.. he asked if I was versed in Rolex History... I told him .. "I'm interested .. very much and learning..".. we talked for about 30 minutes.. and every piece I mentioned he said.. "I have that".. and got excited also.. and never stopped with his enthusiasm..

He then pointed to a door, and said ... "wait there, I will buzz you in.. then dissapeared to the back .. I stood at the door.. like a little kid waiting for the carnival ride.... then the door finally buzzed.. I quickly opened it and entered a very large 'Study' ... with waist high individual glass display's adorned throughout .. a very impressive antique desk.. (so large) and fine leather upolstery throughout.. and what I saw

:o

1665 DRSD's .... 1680 Reds ... Turn-o-graphs 369's.. and a special edition 1665 DRSD, the dial was Luminova and made by Rolex ..only released in the UK .. because "people wanted to see what the dial would look like with Luminova" very rare

and dozens of DJ's ...... and his crown jewel.. first edition 1655 and second edition 1655.. we talked for a long time about the 1655, and I asked him about my theory as to the movement and the use of the orange hand (first edition).. he got so excited I thought he was going to pass out !! He said my accounting was accurate.. but what got him soooo frustrated was when I was talking about the first edition coronet .. he could not remember the name given by Rolex to what we refer to as "frog" .. he said it will come back to him.

I was totally mezmerized by his "partial" collection on display.. and his Library of Rolex books .. nothing in this room was for sale.. neither was his display of vintage Rolex watches in the showroom..

I want to take my Macro .. and I am sure he will allow me to take pics .. as I told him I have friends all over the world that would love to see this... :)

To see pics of the rare vintage models is one thing but to actually see them up close and in real time.... my adrenaline is still flowing.. :lol:

but my main point is,.. it is because of you all that I was able to hold and enjoy a converstion and point out the history and some tech knowledge of his collection,.. which he appreciated so much.. he is going to do my 6760 and 6570 crytals for cost .. the GMT white has a chip in the sapphire, he told me for my appreciation in Rolex he is discounting it tremendously.. and so he said,"so you may as well do the 6760 too",

he was impressed with the FL.. thanks JAG !!

All because of RWG !!! :1a:

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Sounds like you made his, and your, Valentines day. Nice to see people passionate about something today.

Out of curiosity, what watch was on your wrist when you went in there?

-Ronin

I had on my 16760 FL, just aquired through JAG.. , I saw .. TMG's Exp. 369 Gilt.. Tribals pieces... Dluddy's 5513 gilt.. ohhh.. the gilt 369's.. turn o graph .. gilt, gilt. gilt....

there was Ubi's and TMG's Tudor Snowflakes,... and the original straps that were on the divers .. never seen them even in Pics before.. :o .. leather with holes resembling the Omega Ocean Racers but smaller (holes) .. with .. red stiching.. faded now but still evident at one time very red..

You know whenever there is a Sotheby's or Christies auction and you see bidding by agents for an undisclosed buyer I often wonder what their private collections must look like.

It seems to me you have stumbled on one such collector, getting to know him and his collection is a true once in a life time opportunity.

Can't wait to see the pic's.

Ken

The most interesing (to me) is the Gentleman is Vietnamese ... and very cultured ... in fact his accent sounds like a cross between his Native tongue and European. As when he descibed the LE DRSD ... I he had to annunciate..LU MIN OVA..

I think the issue of reps will be tabled for now.. as you never know who will be truly offended ... if anything I would mention "building replica 'Models'" and not just come out with ... "I collect Replications" ... but who knows maybe that's how this gentlman started himself...

Yes, I would like to "learn" more form "Lan" .. his enthusiasm is what is cool.. snobbish in Kid's way, as to not be offensive, and the Passion in conversing with him makes one feel gratified .. like dog Breeders sharing History of the Breed ...

I'll ask very humly if I can take images to send to friends in EU .. he seems to appreciate (because they are rare in Hawaii), conversations with people interested in the Vintage models... other customers in the show room at the same time weren't even interested in his museum like display,.. he had all the luxury watches and a lot of them crusted with diamonds.. I could of cared less about them.. in fact I didn't even bother looking them over.. to see in person the vintage collectables is an "experience"

One thing I did notice about a 5513 ..

the relume was terrible.. Ziggy's lume would and does put that to shame .. and Lan looked a little embarrassed, so I quickly moved away form that piece , it just proved to me how this community has it all !!

Aloha~Cheers

L

Great story Lani,

by the way which watch did you wear when you entered the shop :)

Would be nice to visit a museum liek you did.

does anybody know a Rolex museum in the Benelux.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I wore my newly acquired 16760 FL ... so I'm going to have the crystals replaced in the 16570 Exp. and on the 166760 also, I said I would bring back the piece I need appraising some other time .... another excuse to drop by.. I thought the cystals would have to be ordered .. but their inventory is rather large, .. so by Monday the White Explorer will be done and I drop off my Fat lady.. can't wait to go back.. :rolleyes:

Congrats on a wonderful day. It just goes to show you that horological wisdom transcends reps, gens, frankens, etc. My thrills come whenever there is a big watch auction in town. I try and stop by and get a gander of what is being offered. And because I have offered my own and friends' watches from time to time they at least recognize me and let me try stuff on (except for the Tourby's :lol: . Experiences like those Lani have always shown me how much there is to learn from the membership. There are folks here who have forgotten more than I will ever know.

Thanks kruz and TT... I would imagine the Gentleman with the huge collection does not have too many people here that he can just talk history of watches with, as was evident in his (and my) enthusiasm ... since he was so gracious and with my minor collection of 2 genuines he must just enjoy having someone who appreciates his display..

I really hope I'm allowed to take some pics.. :)

You lucky fella you! Sounds like you both had quite a day. I for one am glad I don't have his insurence bill! OMFG!

Col.

Maybe his insurance comes in the form of "Caliber" .. but seriously .. I believe he has more than what is on dislpay in a very secure fireproof safe..

As a side TB.. the RWG link was down all of yesterday, at least in my area.. I still need to get you pics for the BCE for your Relief fund.. I'll try doing that today or tomorrow,, it would be for "Conus"

Aloha

R

That kind of stuff is really special brah and I'm glad it happened to you. I had a similar experiences here in Florida - although not vintage or Rolex related so I know how you must be feeling. I hope you will follow through with the pics - including some of the shop and display cases and even him. It would be nice to put the face with the story. You will have to take me to meet him when I come for a visit next.