When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

big problem with customs...

edgematic

Personally, I would still not respond. If they press it, it won't help their case in any way and your response of any kind could hurt yours. Just drop it and wait. They gain nothing by litigating you and I can't imagine them doing so. But if they do so be it. Just wait to be served or if you get a second letter don't sign for it and get an attorney. They have no case. They have a watch that you never took possession of.

It is kind of like a theft case where someone breaks in but doesn't steal anything. The criminal is guilty of breaking in but not burglary - even if it is obvious that is what he intended to do. He has to steal something to get convicted of that. If you are guilty of importing illegal good, you have to be caught with goods to be convicted of it.

If you want to assume a worst case scenario then react instead of responding by making sure you don't buy anymore reps for a while - even in the EU to your address. Buy only from EU dealers and even then have them sent to another addy in case they are staking out your mail. Again I doubt it, but you never know what someone might do if a higher up has a hard-on for you and wants to make an example. If you do get served get rid of your other reps immediately.

As Robbie alludes and I agree, people ought to remember that this is an illegal enterprise which we perpetuate with our custom. I would remind members to do their own risk assessment and if the consequences are too hot for you, then I suggest you think again about the purchase of fake watches.

Another thing......the "it will never happen to me" posture usually means you are toast next.

Just my cheery thoughts for the day.

JTB

The letter reminds me of the old police trick when they pull you over....

First words out of their mouths " Boy, do you have any idea why I pulled you over?!!?"

They are waiting for you to incriminate yourself... "Yeah, your pulling me over for speeding/warrent/tax evasion (or whatever)"

Then they respond:

'So... you admit to ______'

I agree with RobbieG. You signed. Its done.

Evoke the plausable deniability clause---

I was expecting a certified letter from somebody else...

I have no idea what your talking about....

That wasn't my certified letter from my accountant?

Wait for them.

Good luck!

-K

Personally although i am not aware of the Belgian law system,i do not see any kind of criminal implication of the OP.Robbie mentioned that it is kind of like the case where someone breaks in but steals nothing.I think that in our case the OP didn't even get caught breaking in.The package was never delivered to him,he did not go to the post office to get it,he did not sign any kind of receipt related to the package.All they got is a parcel containing a counterfeit product (addressed to him by who btw???)without any solid proof that

1)The OP was aware of what was inside the package

2)The OP is related in anyway with the sender

3)The OP really indented to accept the package

and most importantly

4)The OP was caught red handed signing and accepting the reception of the package.

Perhaps i am wrong but this is my opinion guys,thanks for listening to it.

John

They are not after you. They are simply trying to scare you into helping them build a case against the shipper. The Shiltz defence is best here "I know nothzink". The Flemish authorities are knowen for working with Rolex. Don't fret and if they come back you have NFI WTF they are on about "what watch?".

And to the OP and anyone else here - I'm sure I don't have to tell you or anyone else here to NEVER, and I mean never sign for a person to person Registered letter from anyone. Not even your Mother or even God! Those things are poison. And as a rule I won't sign for Certified's either unless I know who it is from. Nothing good can from signing anything that nails you down to a date and possesion of information. Registered and Certified letters are only used for one reason - to incriminate people by dating an event.

Another gem Robbie. VERY sound advice for life and a practice I have allways adheard to personaly.

Col.

well, I still don't know what I should do... The letter was REGISTERED and I signed it, as I didn't know what it would be about...

Not being a lawyer in your country, I am the last person to tell you what you should do. However, I am sure that ignoring the letter (since it was registered) is a BAD idea. I would recommend that you consult with a local lawyer. Again, I am pretty sure he will simply draft a letter describing your innocence, but I would let him make that call instead of anyone (including me) here.

Not being a lawyer in your country, I am the last person to tell you what you should do. However, I am sure that ignoring the letter (since it was registered) is a BAD idea. I would recommend that you consult with a local lawyer. Again, I am pretty sure he will simply draft a letter describing your innocence, but I would let him make that call instead of anyone (including me) here.

I think Freddy has spoken wisely.Since we are not aware of the law system in Belgium and which laws are applicable

for such kind of actions and since the OP has signed for a registered to him official document issued by the authorities ,

he should not take this lightly by just ignoring the letter.Consulting a local lawyer would be the best choice.

John

I think I'll just send a nice letter in which I state that I'm not aware of this, my home adress can be found on the internet so I could be scammed, not?

For example, facebook, you can find my adress on my page...

Also, I have ignored the previous letter that I got from Rolex, so with the ignoration (don't know if that's spelled right) I stated that I agree with the destruction of the watches.

Or would that be a bad idea?

BTW, I'm still a student and a lawyer would cost me alot I guess...

I think I'll just send a nice letter in which I state that I'm not aware of this, my home adress can be found on the internet so I could be scammed, not?

Also, I have ignored the previous letter that I got from Rolex, so with the ignoration (don't know if that's spelled right) I stated that I agree with the destruction of the watches.

Please forgive me,i don't want to add more worries,but not consulting one could cost you more...

BTW how old are you?you said you are a student...maybe if you are underage you cannot be hold

responsible for such actions...just a thought...

But anyway the wisest course of action should be a lawyer's advice.

John

They don't want you, if anything they want the people who actually mfr the counterfeit products, which won't happen because they're out of the country. Google is filled with information about counterfeit prevention measures in your part of the world and so far I couldn't find anything about a single person who was arrested for owning one of these products. On the other hand, lots of arrests for people who have warehouses full of fake sneakers, jeans, bags.... In Switzerland, when you go through customs and are found to be wearing a fake watch, they confiscate it. You didn't even have yours delivered to your house, never got to take it out of the box for the first time and admire it.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:jJv3dp...cd=14&gl=us

http://www.neurope.eu/articles/81718.php

At the most, you might be look at an hour's consultation time, and then a fee for if they draft a letter for you. Some lawyers offer a certain amount of consultation time free, and depending on any benefits claimed (or possibly student fees/expenses) they might be able to offer a reduced price. It certainly wouldn't hurt to enquire, and then decide how you want to proceed :)

About a month ago, 2 watches I ordered from eurotimez were seized. Got a letter from the lawyer of Rolex, ignored it. (by ignoring it I agreed to destroy the watches)

Now I got a letter from the Belgian Customs, they ask me to come to their head office so they can interrogate me...

If I can't make it to their office I have to write a letter in which I state:

- who bought these goods, or who sent them

- how much I paid

- If I know that it's illegal

- If I want to let them destroy it

I also have to add a copy of my ID etc.

Any tips on this guys???

regards

OK, they *want* to interrogate you... they are customs, they are not the police.

just write them a polite letter telling them that you have no idea what they are talking about, unless they believe you are part of any criminal activity and have evidence then you will not be complying.

and just a side thought... can you verify the building they want you to go to genuinely belongs to Belgian customs?

Edited by Olipro

OK, they *want* to interrogate you... they are customs, they are not the police.

just write them a polite letter telling them that you have no idea what they are talking about, unless they believe you are part of any criminal activity and have evidence then you will not be complying.

and just a side thought... can you verify the building they want you to go to genuinely belongs to Belgian customs?

In Belgium customs and police have allmost the same ability for interrogation, arrests etc. For customs there has to be f.i. an importation involved.

About a month ago, 2 watches I ordered from eurotimez were seized. Got a letter from the lawyer of Rolex, ignored it. (by ignoring it I agreed to destroy the watches)

Now I got a letter from the Belgian Customs, they ask me to come to their head office so they can interrogate me...

If I can't make it to their office I have to write a letter in which I state:

- who bought these goods, or who sent them

- how much I paid

- If I know that it's illegal

- If I want to let them destroy it

I also have to add a copy of my ID etc.

Any tips on this guys???

regards

Hmmm, being interrogated by customs is ONE thing, DEALING with Rolex lawyers may be another. ET uses paypal and they spill their spineless guts (personal records) at the drop of a hat... I wonder what the collateral damage will be...

Oli beat me to it. How is the letter worded? It sounds more like a request than an order. Does it say you MUST attend and then state the section of law under which they can make you?If they could order your presence they would have. Flemish law is strict about allmost anything but it sounds like they are trying to get you to do somthing they actualy have no power to compel you to do. As has been stated if they wanted you and they could they would have draged you in there by now. WTF are you supposed to have done? You were in possesion of nothing. Their just trying to get you to grass up the dealer.

Does not your Uni have a free law service for students in need of advice? Does it have a law faculity? Most countries have some kind of free basic legal advice for students/uneployed/low income earners etc.

I am shure we had a thread exactly like this at one of the fora only a few mths ago and I'm preety shure it was your country involved. Nothing happened. Personaly I would do nothing at all if you are not going to get advice. Even Rolex realy can't do anything (can you fellas, I know your reading this :) )Becacuse you were not in possesion of anything. Your PP acount certainly won't mention "rep watch" will it? Who knows what you ordered but I'm shure an upstanding bloke like yourself would NEVER have knowingly orderd a rep!

Col.

• 2 months later...

Well , I can tell you that similar letters have been send in the past (during the last 5-6 years) from almost, all EU countries.

I have seen here and in old RWG, members complaining about similar letters .... and dealers refusing (in the past) to send watches to some countries (eg Italy).

Normally, its random , both on frequency and in countries.

I have received these custom letters twice. Twice were registered letters and twice I have signed to get them (the letters).

Twice I have to respond (via fax) that " I have no idea what they are talking about it , I have never ordered anything and as far as I concerned they can do what ever they want with the contents of the package".

In both cases the story has ended there.

Names and addresses of many of us are all over the internet , mistakes can be done.

You name and address is not a prove of anything.

(just an idea: maybe they have send you these , without your consensus, as a commercial campaign in order to hook you up and buy more or maybe if you have a frequent name and last name these were intended for somebody else).

Conclusion:

If in the customs letters do not clearly state what will be the fine if you don't reply , ..... you may opt not to reply (check this with a local lawyer).

If you reply , then just deny knowledge.

Good luck.

If the letter was registered (you had to sign something to receive it), I would speak with a local lawyer to see what he recommends. My guess is that he will tell you to write them back saying you never ordered anything &, therefore, cannot assist them with their investigations.

However, if you did not have to sign for the letter (it arrived with the rest of your daily mail), I would probably ignore it altogether. If, at some point in the future, they contact you again, just say you never received the letter & know nothing about it. If you did not sign for it, they cannot prove you ever received it.

In some countries, like the netherlands for example the letter does not need to be registered. 3 examples

1) my landlord sends me a letter telling me he will inspect my apartment with the local government (to check if i'm not subletting to 20 moroccans i guess). he said if i don't reply, he will use the master key if i'm not home

2) my landlords sends me a letter (after living here 3 months with a 12-month contract!) telling me he is going to raise the rent, unless i object

3) dutch government sends me a letter and tells me they will make a fire inspection, if i'm not home on the date, they have the right to get the police and destroy my door (for which I will have to pay)

all letters were NOT registered! and everyone who lives in the netherlands knows how f'ed up the postal system is, I receive mail from people I dont even know all the time, because they have lived here at some point in the past!

Edited by slay