When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Colt II Automatic

morlock

This week I received my new Breitling Colt II Automatic from Trusty Time, and I want to share some pics and comments about it. I hope you enjoy it.

I think the Colt II has not been much covered maybe because it is an entry level and no so popular model among the Breitling purist due its reduced size compared with Breitling's standards, 44 or more.

But in my case the Colt II was the perfect choice, I was looking for a sport sturdy watch, simple dial and has to fit in my 6.7" wrist (in the 40-42 range). I always like the Breitling watches, but mostly of them are 44 or more, I even tried a SFSO in an AD and It looks huge on my wrist, so I was reluctant to order one.

I never had a Colt II gen on my hands (my AD does not have this model available), then my comparison is based just on pictures from the web. Please keep in mind that it is a US$ 98 watch and I really like it, so I am going just to point out the difference.

The Real Thing

Specifications:

Movement: Breitling Calibre 17 Self-winding automatic mechanical movement (28.800 vph, 25 jewels, 42 hours power reserve).

Case: Stainless steel with 41.10 mm diameter and 12.40 mm thickness.

Calendar: Dial aperture at 3

Water-Resistant: 500 meter / 1650 ft.

Bezel: Unidirectional

Crown: Screw-locked

Caseback: Screwed-in.

Crystal: Sapphire with double AR

Colt001.jpg

My New Rep

Specifications:

Movement: Asian copy ETA 2813.

Case: Stainless steel with 41 mm diameter and 15 mm thickness.

Calendar: Dial aperture at 3

Water-Resistant: non tested

Bezel: Unidirectional

Crown: Screw-locked

Caseback: Screwed-in.

Crystal: Synthetic crystal no AR

Colt003.jpg

As I mentioned I got it from Andrew (Trusty Time) for US$ 98, which is a bargain considering the construction quality. Dealing with Andrew is a pleasure, great communication and prompt responses to my mails, faster than 24 hrs. In this transaction I received a couple of answer from his Blackberry, and based on my estimated, one of his mail was sent at 3:30 AM (China) on Saturday, I pictured him seating in a bar or a disco typing the mail :munch: . Once I paid it, I received in just 6 days.

According with the spec. (gen & rep) is 41 mm width, which it is true without crown and crown guards, but trust me this is not a reduce Breitling or a girlie model (no offense intended), this feels big, also the 15 mm height help to increase the wrist presence . Including the crown and CG, it measures 48 mm.

Colt004.jpg

Colt008.jpg

The overall construction is very good and solid, it is brushed SS with some polished details like the crown and a fixed ring around the crystal. I think the lastest model gen is polished, but I prefer it brushed. Very good fit and finish, without any disturbing gaps. The signed crown has the correct pattern, but the logo is smaller than the gen.

Colt007.jpg

Before I ordered it, I did my homework I looked for some information in the forums. The main complain that I found it was about the dial. But IMHO the dial is gorgeous, the dial is white, not milk white, it is light off white like the gen, it has a very light concentric circles patterns and a deeper pattern in the hour makers zone. The marker are polished batons with lume dots, and a triangle at 12, the numbers (3 to 24) and wording are in the right place and looks the right font. The date window is located at 3 enhanced with a black line around it, like the gen. The numbers in the DW are well centered, but I could not confirm if is the correct font, usually it is not, but let this to the experts.

Regarding the lume, you could find 4 lume levels in on watch: Good in hands:) , average in hour markers:undecided: , horrible poor in pearl :( and no lume at 12 o'clock triangle:mad: . I don't think it makes any sense to send it for re-lume due the watch's cost, so if the lume bother you, use the watch only at daylight.

On some post the Colt's dial was criticized for the wrong rehault, which compared with the gen photos its color is correct but it is too deep, me guess is that the rep rehault is 1 or 1.5 mm deeper than gen. But I think you need a side by side comparo to find that out, and the rep dial's overall look is not damage for this. In the rehault the numbers are print in black with the right font. If we just focus about the dial and forget about the rehault, it is very close to the gen.

Here I have a question for the experts, the numbers in the rehault are 10 - 20 - 30... all the way up to 100 at 12 o'clock position, so what is the propose of this numbers ? The gen has the same numbers.

Colt005.jpg

The bezel generated me a mix of opinions. It is very nice, with deep engraved numbers and markers, correct font, perfectly aligned, average pearl (at real life distance it looks nice), unidirectional, laud clicks and smooth operation. It is brushed SS with polished head screws. Then which are the shortcomings ? Well it is kind of funny, but the bezel has 90 positions (or click), not 60, not 120. I really don't know why the factory does this, because it align perfect to the 5 min. markers, which it is important due between the crystal and the bezel, there is a polished SS fixed ring with 5 min slots. Also in the pros side, at 15-30-45-60 position the bezel has a small protruding markers that will protect the crystal, just like the SFSO bezel.

Colt006.jpg

The caseback is well constructed, looks nice, good engravement, no misspelling and correct font. But it has several error if you compare with the gen:

.- Incorrect Model number. It has # E13360, which correspond with an All Titanium, Caliber 13, COSC, Ti Chrono Avenger. The correct model number must be A17380

.- Wrong Wording 1st Line. Rep: CHRONOGRAPHE CERTIFIE CHRONOMETRE. Gen: CHRONOMETRE OFFICIELLMENT CERTIFIE

.- Wrong Wording 2st Line. Rep: MANUFACTURE EN SUISSE ETANCHE 500 M. Gen: MANUFACTURE EN SUISSE ETANCHE 300 M. This one is a stupid error because in the dial they correctly printed 500 m. They don't need a gen to replicated this, just need to look at their own dial to find out the correct deep.

This could be considered a mayor flaw , but all are located at the back and you have to take it out of your wrist to be notice. Anyway those flaws were not a surprize to me because I saw them in the pictures at the dealer web site.

GEN

Colt002.jpg

REP

Colt009.jpg

Colt010.jpg

The crystal is not sapphire neither has AR. On the bright side, the crystal is well made, no tint and no milky look seen in angle. I choose the white dial to cut some of the glare, and it really pays out, in normal conditions you could not notice the crystal (well, almost).

Like the gen, the bracelet is brushed SS, Professional II type, solid links and easy to adjust with standard pins and 4 position fine adjustments at the clasp. Speaking about the clasp, it has deep engravements, flip lock single fold, no dive extension. As part of the mix of brushed and polished surface on this watch, the clasp is totally polished, it looks nice, no flaws, but I am not sure if this is a good idea, the clasp is a magnet for small scratches and been polished the scratches will more noticeable. Anyway brush the clasp is easy do-it-yourself mod.

Colt011.jpg

Colt012.jpg

Finally the movt is the Asian copy of the ETA 2813, but as could see at the picture, it looks as the usual Asian 21j, I am not an expert. Any way, I think both movt have the same quality and reliability.

Colt013.jpg

Conclusion

The Colt II Automatic replica has too many flaws to be consider a real contender. IMHO it is a great watch, due the mayor flaws are in the case back, and I am getting a solid sport wacth for a low price.

Edited by morlock

I'm actually fond of the smaller size myself. For some reason I've been looking for smaller 40-42mm watches these days. That's the perfect watch size. And come to think of it, something like 41mm was considered XXL just a while back.

Somehow all those 45mm watches have gotten a bit old for me. They might be trendy now, but they simply don't look "right" to me.

I haven't owned a Breitling for awhile but I had the Original Colt Gen (38mm I think)....it was a solid well built watch and it always felt great on my wrist.

I think that for the money,......and errors aside, you've got a nice timepiece.

Great job on the research and presentation of your findings.

I wish I had the patience to review watches in this way.

Breitling fans should thank you for such a nice in-depth review.

regards,

Kurt.

Morlock,

Haven't written any reviews myself (I read a lot though ) but if I did, I would be pleased if I did half as well as yours.

Great analysis and review and excellent photos.

I'm still hooked on larger watches (my gen 39mm YM gets little or no wristtime) but this review reminds me how nice this size is.

Bravo and well done! Keep 'em coming

JW

At times I think we can lose touch with the pleasure of finding a very nice watch for a rock bottom price. Just as with gens, you don't have to drop larger amounts of money in order to get a rep you can wear with pleasure and satisfaction.

A really good write-up. The Colt is the first Breitling I paid attention to in the wild -- I found myself sneaking glances at it during business meetings. Congrats and welcome.

wow,

this is crap :D

At this clock nothing is correct. The bracelet and the latch are wrong. The clock is much too thick. The crown is not correct. The genuine clock is polished. ;)

for my bad English

Aller, yes, I pointed out mostly of those issues, it's too naive of me to expect a ultimated version for US$ 100.

Just as a commnent, the bracelet could not be a high grade one, but it's weel constructed and it's the right version for this watch model. And the current gen version is polish, but the first gen version was brushed. :rolleyes: