When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deposition Watch Needed

Carbonless

Very big newb here, but I'm in a bit of a tough spot. I need some recommendations for a nice rep to serve as a

"credibility-gaining piece". I'm a junior attorney handling my first solo deposition and trial here in the next couple of months against some big wigs at a major defense firm. I've got the power-suit and I know that I can manage well in these situations, but I feel that a nice watch would add a lot to my persona both in the deposition and among the jury. Unfortunately, I just dont have the kind of money that the big dog attorneys are bringing home. I was thinking Patek Calastrava, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. It needs to be dressy, but not completely black-tie-formal. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Much too subtle. You need something that reflects your personality, in addition to being unique enough to stand out. Too flashy is too distracting. The Patek Calatrava looks like so many other watches out there that most people wouldn't know the difference unless you told them. I'll look around and see what I can suggest... :)

BTW, a little background on your "persona" would be helpful. No sense offering a suggestion like a Rolex DSSD if you hate water. Off the top of my head, I'm leaning towards TAG's and Omega's...

Much too subtle. You need something that reflects your personality, in addition to being unique enough to stand out. Too flashy is too distracting. The Patek Calatrava looks like so many other watches out there that most people wouldn't know the difference unless you told them. I'll look around and see what I can suggest... :)

BTW, a little background on your "persona" would be helpful. No sense offering a suggestion like a Rolex DSSD if you hate water. Off the top of my head, I'm leaning towards TAG's and Omega's...

All good points. Plus, going from no watch to a $20,000 watch, assuming they even recognized it, would be a tell. Omega's are a good starting point and they have many different styles. If you want subtle, take a look at the Aqua Terra. A little more flashy would be the PO chrono. Head over to one of the dealers sites and go through the list. I would also suggest looking for something that has a gen value of $5,000 or less.

Don't wear a watch. Don't even focus on you. You're going to look like a lamb to the slaughter house whatever you do. They'll smell the blood a mile off.

Focus on them instead. Is their prostrate playing up? Can they even manage an erection any more? Are they menopausal?

Amaze them with your virility and joie de vivre. Even if they win on the procedural technicalities, inside they'll be broken wrecks*. :animal_rooster:

[*Not actual advice. Conditions apply. All readers should consider comments in light of their individual circumstances, or if all else fails wear an Omega or Breitling.]

Very big newb here, but I'm in a bit of a tough spot. I need some recommendations for a nice rep to serve as a

"credibility-gaining piece". I'm a junior attorney handling my first solo deposition and trial here in the next couple of months against some big wigs at a major defense firm. I've got the power-suit and I know that I can manage well in these situations, but I feel that a nice watch would add a lot to my persona both in the deposition and among the jury. Unfortunately, I just dont have the kind of money that the big dog attorneys are bringing home. I was thinking Patek Calastrava, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. It needs to be dressy, but not completely black-tie-formal. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eh, no offense but shouldn't your first concern be on to do a damn good job on your first deposition and trial!

Vacheron Constantin Malte Chronograph rep. 41MM so it will comand more attention than the Patek, but the same idea and league - actually a bit past it even movement and cost wise. Very accurate and at a couple hundred bucks the janitor in the courtroom can afford one...

The only real tell is the subdial spacing due to the fact that the Venus 175 (and its clone in the watch) is a wider movement than the Lemania 2310 in the gen. So you can see the dot indices at 3 and 9 are removed on the rep to accomodate that. Even the movement looks great - a classic U-wheel bridged low beat column wheel chrono just like the gen. But only a WIS would notice these thinngs and even then at arms length no way.

When I had this rep I wore it to many a black tie function surrounded by those who know how much of a watch freak I am (many of them also gen collectors like me) and not one of them even suspected it was a rep. Instead, they all complimented me on what a nice VC example it was. Sounds like in your circles you might expect a similar situation. Try it out.

Here is a rep/gen comparison:

Rep (you will need to put a high quality replacement strap on it - this is a custom large scale gator from Banda. Heavily padded to handle a dress chrono and glazed for an even more formal look):

Malte1.jpg

Gen (the dial looks whiter in this pic but isn't. It is very much silver exactly like the rep):

VacheronFront92mid.jpg

:rofl:

Don't wear a watch. Don't even focus on you. You're going to look like a lamb to the slaughter house whatever you do. They'll smell the blood a mile off.

Focus on them instead. Is their prostrate playing up? Can they even manage an erection any more? Are they menopausal?

Amaze them with your virility and joie de vivre. Even if they win on the procedural technicalities, inside they'll be broken wrecks*. :animal_rooster:

[*Not actual advice. Conditions apply. All readers should consider comments in light of their individual circumstances, or if all else fails wear an Omega or Breitling.]

"credibility-gaining piece".

Just a thought...Are you sure that you want to try and gain credibility by wearing a replica watch?

What if someone notices?what then?won't this be turned against you?

Just a thought...

Cheers

John

Put more thought into your neck tie.

Honestly, what watch does Dennis 'Denny' Crane wear? Exactly. But his seven-fold-four-in-hand neck ties starting at 165us (cheaper than a Beginmariner) are legendary.

Best of luck. Rip their heads off!

Denny wears a full gold Daytona on a brown Gator Strap

Alan Shore wears 2 tone Sub 16613 B):)

cheers

First welcome to the forum ,

If you already feel some what nervous from the start ,

Believe me, wearing a rep

Edited by wadan

When I had this rep I wore it to many a black tie function surrounded by those who know how much of a watch freak I am (many of them also gen collectors like me) and not one of them even suspected it was a rep. Instead, they all complimented me on what a nice VC example it was. Sounds like in your circles you might expect a similar situation. Try it out.

I don't like to crop my bro's posts, but in this case, I just had to point out the absolute truth in these boldened words. If people know the status of the person wearing the rep, and know that they're able to afford a gen, even if confronted with an obvious rep, the mental logic 'They can't be wearing a rep, they make $$$$$$$$$$$$ a year, they can afford the real thing... It must be real...' tends to win out ;)

Denny wears a full gold Daytona on a brown Gator Strap

Alan Shore wears 2 tone Sub 16613 B):)

cheers

Wadan? You're not helping :p

Actually, I have no real sense of what you are going up against Carbonless, but it seems 'image' is an ultimate concern? I was just thinking, driving home, that you may want to demure a watch altogether. 'Image' is more than the obvious 'visual'. In a court room 'actions' may speak more to the perception.

What if, even in a casual, perhaps nervous, aside, when the focus of the room was not on you, you found yourself drawn to a 'new' watch, pulling back your suit sleeve and it was observed by others? "Is he bored or something?", "Does he have somewhere else he'd rather be?", "Is he wondering if his Tivo kicked off?" I know a lot of successful people who do not wear wrist watches. There are always subordinates around with their fru-fru watches concerned with 'time'.

Concentrate on your performance. Maybe get a Mont Blanc rep pen and hold it like Bob Dole.

Just a thought...Are you sure that you want to try and gain credibility by wearing a replica watch?

What if someone notices?what then?won't this be turned against you?

Just a thought...

Cheers

John

If it's a good rep there shouldn't be any problem, that's were good research comes into play and a solid reason for asking. Just a thought about wearing an "expensive" rep, it seems to me that I read a post where someone who was in around 19-20ish was allowed to wear his father's gen watch that was quite expensive and certainly not something that a person his age would ever be expected to own. If someone asked he could always come up with a great story behind the watch. :)

What about something respectable and slighltly more noticable like a Rolex Datejust. I think something like RobbieG's shown here would be perfect:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=617379

Datejust2.jpg

I LOVE THAT WATCH! I'm starting to look for a rep of it, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll ever be able to find one that comes close to being as nice. :(

Do as most young people do today and look like you don't give a damn, use your cellphone to tell time and don't wear a watch. Irregardless, no one will notice the watch you wear to size you up, only you will, but a rep on your wrist will just mentally give you one more thing to worry about because its not a gen and believe me, you'll not want to add to any insecurity. Sounds like you are nervous enough about it already. For some reason my occupation made me no stranger as a participant to the inside of a courtroom over the years and what I noticed was not the appearance of the litigating attorneys, but the appearance of the people being deposed that was more influencing. The demeanor of the attorney made the most impact, a sharp coolheaded attorney to be reckoned with. Having flopsweat going in doesn't cut it.

A lot of good advice above...

Unfortunately, I just dont have the kind of money that the big dog attorneys are bringing home.

Although not clear on your personal financial situation. I would still recommend against a rep. If you can afford a $2,500-$5,000 watch, I say do it. There are a lot of options in that price range. Omega, Rolex, Breitling, Tag, etc. If you can afford up to $1000, there is always Movado, Tissot, and some Tag's. Finally, if you are young and fresh out of school, I don't think anyone would hold it against you to simply wear a "Fashion Designer" watch like a Kenneth Cole.

You can even try gray market sites like www.jomashop.com.

Just my .02,

-Ronin

I appreciate the replies. I've got a couple of ideas on what to get based on some of the responses. Confidence is not really the problem...I've gone against much bigger fish in much bigger cases...I've just never been to trial or personally taken a depo solo (I've handled large securities class actions that generally settle before trial). I'm just not an everyday dress watch person. However, I think that in this situation a nice watch would be appropriate. That being said, I can afford a nice watch (and own a few nice ones already), but I dont feel that spending that kind of money on something I would wear just occasionally is appropriate right now. I dont expect any watch to substitute for a good demeanor or strike fear into the heart of defense counsel, but I would like to purchase appropriate attire for the circumstance. Thanks again for the help :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well, here is my two cents.

I think that I know what you are after - but obviously we do not know your personality.

So: here is what I recommend - and these reps are good enough that you would look both sensible, young, and yet still have taste. You just have to decide what "taste" you want to portray:

1. Tag Heuer - Aquaracer - sporty diver, outgoing, enjoys his free time, active

2. Ebel 1911 Disco Chrono - sporty - racer, not necessarily "outdoors" on weekends - but always doing stuff

3. Rolex Sub - everyones got one. And, there is a reason for that. Problem is, every young guy who believes he has "arrived" gets one.

4. IWC - Slevin - sporty - but more sophisticated - the guy is more knowledgeable that one would think. Those in the know, know.

Can't go wrong with any of those. Can't be called out on any of them either. They are too good.

Ok this is not a field I have any experience in but I can't help thinking that one of the top priorities of an attorney, regardless of being a prosecutor or defense, would be to know your opponent.

If this is so then surely they already know this is your first trial, they probably even have a very good idea of what you are earning, so if you rock up with a $20,000 watch they will guess something is suss.

I would hate to be you if at one point their main guy say's to the jury "How can you trust an attorney who turns up to court wearing an illegal replica watch?"

Just something to think about.

Ken

It seems you need a well made rep that is recognizable from across the room. I recommend a Pan or Rolex. These are well made reps and people can spot them from across the room. do your homework to find out the best replicated models so you don't have the confidence issues that people are mentioning. I love Breitlings and Grahams but they may be a little over the top for big wig lawyers.