When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Reps that doom sayers are talking about

chronology1066

The true nasty, dug out of my drwaer a while back.... stunning in a bad way. The feel is the real joy though, recycled Pepsi cans and gold paint.

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

clasp.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

Oh man, that's so grim, it's awesome :tu:

The scary thing, is with a little work (okay, several transplants :lol: ) You could probably get a reasonably presentable watch out of it :) A GMT hand would be a good place to start ;)

OK let me get a little serious here. You pikers who are always complaining about the quality of reps vs. cost should make posters of this at life size and mount them over your beds. How far this industry has come in such a short time is staggering. Not so long ago EVERY Rolex rep used to look like this.

So the next time you pay (only) $400 for a nearly world class watch, instead of complaining look at this picture and think of the thousands of people who paid top dollar for one of these and were happy to have it. Simply put, the quality to cost ratio of our best reps these days is such that flaws and/or defects render nearly every discussion moot. But then we wouldn't have anything to talk about so I suppose we can let that slide.

The moral of the story is everyone needs to appreciate what we have - especially the noobs since they probably don't really know where we came from.

OK let me get a little serious here. You pikers who are always complaining about the quality of reps vs. cost should make posters of this at life size and mount them over your beds. How far this industry has come in such a short time is staggering. Not so long ago EVERY Rolex rep used to look like this.

So the next time you pay (only) $400 for a nearly world class watch, instead of complaining look at this picture and think of the thousands of people who paid top dollar for one of these and were happy to have it. Simply put, the quality to cost ratio of our best reps these days is such that flaws and/or defects render nearly every discussion moot. But then we wouldn't have anything to talk about so I suppose we can let that slide.

The moral of the story is everyone needs to appreciate what we have - especially the noobs since they probably don't really know where we came from.

[/quote

Rather agree with your sentiment, robbieG. The rep world is still underground, so to speak, but the quality of Chinese reps is getting so good...to wit my latest 42mm POs with what I think are DG4813 chinese movements. Naturally the Asian industry is good at copying western style watches...but mark my words, in the near future, they will start to design their own with quality movements installed.

Yes, there is huge probem for OEM watch companies trying to protect their copyright laws from reps from China....but that will level out in the future.

Take Japan for instance. Since this country opened up to the west in 1860, the start of the Meiji era, Japan then took what it considered good from the western countries and copied them and integrated these items into its own culture i.e. wall clocks, clothes, railway systems...and the list goes on.....

You catch my drift?

Don't make me post the infamous one and only No-Date Day-Date..... :yu:

Children, avert your eyes.....

226049-13318.jpg

:p

Is that a hole in the dial just below the '12' marker?

@TJ - Quartzzzz, you mean you expected anything else, sweeps like a rollerblading epileptic giraffe

Awesome :tu::lol: To be honest, I did actually wonder if it might have had a mechanical movement, due to the GMT designations... Silly me :lol: