When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Ceramic gaining 1 Hour a Day!

millemiglia

Its possible that the movement could be magnetized. In that case you need to either demagnetize it using a de-magnetizer, or take it to a watchsmith who will do it.

The other possibility is that there is something wrong with the movement, which will require repair or a replacing. Others with more knowledge on movements can chime in.

Best of luck in getting it sorted out, I know how it feels to receive a brand new problematic watch!

Its possible that the movement could be magnetized. In that case you need to either demagnetize it using a de-magnetizer, or take it to a watchsmith who will do it.

The other possibility is that there is something wrong with the movement, which will require repair or a replacing. Others with more knowledge on movements can chime in.

Best of luck in getting it sorted out, I know how it feels to receive a brand new problematic watch!

Well...there is an even worse case scenario!!!imagine just receiving a brand new daytona,finding out that it runs more than TEN!!!

minutes faster in an hour,shipping it back to China and...guess what...getting lost on the way or stolen or seized by the customs!!!(i never found out what happened btw!!!) :rolleyes:

Magnetized? :blink:

Never heard of that, I was hoping that a simple adjustment of those little "forks" would be enough (I believe I read somthing about it but I can't remember where)?

Anyone else that can shed a light?

P.S.

@J.Marin72: it would seem that I shouldn't sent it back then :huh:

first thing is to message the dealer and see what they can do. they do owe you a certain duty of care given the money you spent.

there could be various issues with the watch. magnetisation is just one issue but there may a much more underlining problem with the movement.

contact the dealer and strike a deal. if anything, it would have to be sent to a watch repairer.

Magnetized? :blink:

Never heard of that, I was hoping that a simple adjustment of those little "forks" would be enough (I believe I read somthing about it but I can't remember where)?

Anyone else that can shed a light?

P.S.

@J.Marin72: it would seem that I shouldn't sent it back then :huh:

No,no by all means it didn't say that.In my case the loss was due to my responsibility.I choose to send the watch via unregistered mail,so the risk was pretty high.I have sent a lot of watch back and forth either via courier services or via registered mail and everything went great.

My advice to you (if i am permitted to give one of course)is to contact your dealer first and report the problem.He will guide you through this and make sure you get what you have paid for.No worries mate.

first thing is to message the dealer and see what they can do. they do owe you a certain duty of care given the money you spent.

there could be various issues with the watch. magnetisation is just one issue but there may a much more underlining problem with the movement.

contact the dealer and strike a deal. if anything, it would have to be sent to a watch repairer.

Definitely,serious dealers know how to handle such cases and are always glad to help you...well most of them at least!!!

Remember...this is what they do :)

The problem is that this is already a replacement shipment (the previous was seized!) in the first case I even got contacted by a RLX lawyer!!! (no kidding!!)

I'm afraid to go through it again... :scratch:

@The Zigmeister: thanks for your advice, we are in the "doable" zone then(?)

I can almost guarantee that as The Zigmeister suggests, its the hairspring that has become slightly tangled, in essence shortening the spring and causing it to run fast. Being the consumate watchmaker that he is, he would never recommend this but it has worked for me and many others. Place the watch in your palm face down and give it a gentle but firm slap on the caseback. This is usually enough to free up the hairspring and get it running again. Most watchmakers wont even look at asian movements, so sending it back is your only other option. Might as well try it first ;)

Since too many members have been having problems with recent A7750 movements, I fyi'd my dealer to please alert the factory of this issue,... it seems to have started happening in high numbers with the release of the breitling reps.

Do not attempt to recify the problem yourself ... that would put your exchange in jepordy,.. before I send any of the A7750's to Ziggy for Service,.. which is very much needed .. if you follow threads that break down the A7750 quality.. you will note that this is repeated... "it is a good movement if serviced properly") in other words "it's the singer not the song"

my choice is to pay for professional servicing, the A7750 runs beautifully after service.

but I take responsibility for anything I attempt to do with the rep ..... in other words I inform my dealer first !! .. if he say's just send it back.. that's what I do,.. if I ask if I can try the regulator arms first.. and he gives me the green light.. then it's all good..

my point being don't damage the movement more,.... and then claim it came that way....

Hopefully the factory can be alerted of these issues with the movement .. if anymore detailed info is available on the exact problem that seems to be plauging the A7750 these last few months,.. I can request that the maker be alerted and asked to look into the service issue..

I am not a spokesperson for any dealer nor pretend to be an ambassador to anyone .. but information passed on as a request can't hurt .. I believe we need to give them something concrete to help them correct the issues at hand.

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

edit add: sorry I was referring to a different movement .. misread this as the ceramic IWC that was just released

@andreww: just like that? a simple slap on the case-back? (the watch runs faster it's not that it won't move)

@2005SUBMARINER: no they asked for 400Eur and even sent me iban and bic bank coordinates!!!

@Lani: it is a copy of the 2836-2 with GMT funcion not a 7750, but in any case, my Idea was not to order anything else directly in china due to the above problem, (basically I would have never wanted to have anything to do with cartel sellers after the last episode) and now I'm forced to deal with them again! :frusty:

Cleaning the hairspring is fairly simple. I have a Wittnauer with the V72 and it was gaining an hour a day. My watchmaker took one look at it, said dirty hairspring, removed the hairspring, dipped it in a vat of cleaning solution, let it dry and reinstalled it. Then he spent a minute or so on that whichamacallit machine regulating it and voila, the watch was keeping great time again. It all took maybe 5 minutes. Some day I'll have to get it serviced, but it's running fine for now.

Hopefully you can find a local watchmaker who will work on it- sure beats shipping it back to China and waiting 2 months.

@andreww: just like that? a simple slap on the case-back? (the watch runs faster it's not that it won't move)

Yes just like that. The hairspring is exactly what the name implies, a hair thin coil. What has happened is that two of the coils have come in contact with each other and because of the machine oil, have stuck together. This shortens the spring, so it cant fully coil and uncoil, thus it operates faster and your watch runs fast. The slap is generally enough to jar the stuck coil loose and will immediately fix the problem.

I can almost guarantee that as Ziggy suggests, its the hairspring that has become slightly tangled, in essence shortening the spring and causing it to run fast. Being the consumate watchmaker that he is, he would never recommend this but it has worked for me and many others. Place the watch in your palm face down and give it a gentle but firm slap on the caseback. This is usually enough to free up the hairspring and get it running again. Most watchmakers wont even look at asian movements, so sending it back is your only other option. Might as well try it first ;)

As Andreww Says give it a slap, do a bit of reaserch before, But i have sloved fast running watches in this way in the past, if it is two coils of the hairspring sticking together the the hair spring is efectivley shorter so the balence will osilate faster and the watch will run faster, a bit if a slap can free up the coils that are sticking.

SEND it back ! . those modified gmt movements are super problematic i would stayaway from that watch .

you can also try to regulate ..

good luck .

I have to disagree with your comment I have a PT GMT ceramic with a ETA movement. runs perfect and has no problems at all. the Watch was purchase back on July 08.

I have to disagree with your comment I have a PT GMT ceramic with a ETA movement. runs perfect and has no problems at all. the Watch was purchase back on July 08.

I agree with that. My swiss ETA GMT ceramic (WHS) is the most accurate watch I have.