When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trying to do the math..

i've been trying to calculate how much is spent on replicas, from the members of this forum only

and this is what i came up with:

we have almost 20,000 registered members :group:

i think it would be fair to say that 75% of them own a replica

but most of the old memebers here own 4,5,6 and even 10 replicas, maybe 15!!

so that led me to an average of 3 reps per member

i'd say that more than 35% of these reps have been modded, that would mean that they'd cost around $300

i know, its confusing! :blink:

so i'd round it up to an average of $150 for all reps

here's my equation:

15,000 members X 3 reps/member X $150

= $6,750,000 :shock:

what do u guys think?

in my opinion, the real number could be double that amount!

Whenever I read this "how many watches"..."how many $" I get a funny feeling in my stomach. I just feel that this is asking for trouble. We all do remember that this hobby of ours isn't neccesarily legal. And while I am sure that the gen manufacturers are well aware of the size of the (ever growing) rep pie, I wouldn't put it right in their face..

just my 2c

Cops love guys like you lot.. boasting about how much you've scored. Its the perfect confession. I know its been ages since there was any legal threat to any of the boards.. but the genuine makers are hurting badly and it really doesn't seem smart to rub this in their faces.

Back in Napster days I remember guys boasting on the forums how many songs that had downloaded.. and look what happened next.

The cost of the reps is one thing....

another matter to consider is how much is our community costing the gen manufacturers by skipping on the genuine aticles....

Assuming of course that if there were no reps, people could afford to buy the real thing......which if true, begs the question why does this community exist.

Even if we were to take a figure of $10million, spread it amongst 20 manufacturers (because not everyone would buy from the same brand - and there are hundreds out there)) that's only $500k per brand. That's a drop in the ocean for them.