When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best sports watch with a suit?

By-Tor

I was just thinking... I don't wear a suit often. Yesterday and today I had to wear a suit (work duties) and came to the conclusion that my Discovery is the only real "dressy" watch that I own. Being the geek that I am, I snapped some watch pics before I went to the office. :D

I don't know if my Ebel is a "sports chronograph" or what it should be called... but it's not overly bulky like some other watches I have (the SMP Chronograph for example). It's actually a thick watch (all 7750 watches are) but the slender lines don't make it look so. It's also a big watch (43mm) but not ridiculously so, because of the case shape.

Rolexes go really well with a suit too (perhaps not the Pepsi GMT though). Generally, I think white dials are great choices with a suit because they're understated... especially my Ebel (which I consider stunningly elegant and beautiful).

Or what do you say?

IMG_1165.jpg

There must be other people too, who don't wear those gentlemen's dress watches no matter what. So... what are your choices for the occasional dress duties? If you have some wrist shots with a suit please share!

I feel like this is a reponse to my mention of your suit combined with my choice to wear the Portofino chrono later BT, am I right!? :D

Well, "suit" is a little broad to decide which watch to wear with one. A work suit is best accompanied by the White Dialed Explorer II though, I don't have one, but it certainly is the best dress-suit watch around. The right amount of reserved/extravagance combination with the white dial showing that you're there to be formal, and do some 'bidniz' :D

edit: beat to it by dluddy... See?! its perfect. No better work suit sports watch imo. Although I do like your ebel BT and it looks great in the pic, I'm unconvinced about the sports chronographs.. just my 2 pence!

I feel like this is a reponse to my mention of your suit combined with my choice to wear the Portofino chrono later BT, am I right!? :D

Yeah, I thought this deserves a thread of its own. :)

I agree, white Explorer II is a great choice. And how can you argue with b16a2, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig? :D However, the chrono version of the SMP is not a good suit watch. It's way too thick.

I think one of the questions here is what defines a sports watch, I would say that most watches on stainless steel bracelets that we have these days, ie subs, ex2s, 3717s and so on look sporty on a bracelet but put them on a nice leather band and you have a nice dress watch as long as the watch was not too thick to start with, that rules out you 187s, DSSD and AP ROO but leaves a lot of room.

My favourite blue dialled watch goes very nicely with a suit. The trusty old 2531.80, soon to own one of these again.....hopefully very soon ;)

13022008662.jpg

But you cant argue with Bond can you.

Alot may have to do with the person who is wearing the watch, if you are a small thin geeky type guy then and AP ROO will definatly look odd no matter what you wear but if you are the big sized rugby player then a super thin Patek would look strange also.

Tonight i will be waering the military equivalent of black tie and diner jacket and a 3717 looks just great.

I have several 'dress' watches, but I frequently wear a PAM111h with a suit and it works well provided it's on a smart croc strap - it doesn't look appropriate on a 'vintage' style strap. I don't really see why most sports watches should look good with a suit - my Rollie DeepSea works well too, but personally I'd avoid anything with strong colour (blue bezels or dials, that kinda thing).

I think one of the questions here is what defines a sports watch, I would say that most watches on stainless steel bracelets that we have these days, ie subs, ex2s, 3717s and so on look sporty on a bracelet but put them on a nice leather band and you have a nice dress watch as long as the watch was not too thick to start with, that rules out you 187s, DSSD and AP ROO but leaves a lot of room.

I think you're quite right, there, my friend :)

Here's my contribution to the theme :)

DSCN0962.jpg

Don't forget the Deepsea...have worn it with a suit a couple of times....and looks great. Personally...I think that watches with steel bracelet look better with suits..rather than rubber/leather. That said.....am dying to try out the FM Casablanca with a suit.

Cheers

I also have to wear a suit from time to time and i use my TAG Link or a 104 for those days. Due to the big chrono buttons on the 1911 i tend to use that wearing a shirt/jeans/jacket but not with a suit. Its a damn nice watch though :)

Excellent post have been keen to hear about peoples thoughts regarding this matter.

wrist.jpg

*edit* rezied image

IWC Aquatimer Slevin...

i think with formalware, a sports watch needs to have a uniform, single color primary dial...and if the watch has chronos, the subdials should be the same color as the watch dial...makes for a uniform look...for chronos - the Slevin and Slask's Tag above has that look...

i love the Ebel Discovery, but for formalware, i'd go for the black subdials on black version...

rolex16570frankenexplor.jpg

I have to go with dluddy here. These days, people wear whatever they like with a suit. But, traditionally, a small, simple understated watch was the rule when dressing for work or semi-formal occasions. Sport watches should, as the name describes, be worn with sports clothes.