When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To: Moddifying your Rolex DSSD V3 to V4, quick & easy! :)

gioarmani

Oh one additional question- I don't have a DS but wouldn't spraying the matte spray on the datewheel be a potential cause for concern? I mean...considering you're coating the dial?

The date-wheel doesn't come in direct contact with the underside of the dial, so unless I sprayed too thickly, at worst I would have just gotten a scant, inconsequential bit on the date-wheel at 21. Even though the spray isn't quite as tacky/sticky as one would imagine--it's actually a bit more powdery if done properly--after a light spray, make sure to reinsert the stem & wind the days through a full cycle, or if you have the technical skill & don't mind the extra work/step, the dial can be removed for this.

I will go back and add a note, just in case. Thanks. :)

EDIT: It appears that I can't edit the tutorial since it's been moved, so hopefully it will still be helpful here.

Edited by gioarmani

Good to have you back Gio. Great tutorial.

If the dial is secured with dialfeet/dialscrews, a modder not comfortable with removing the dial could probably loosen the dialscrews a bit and then insert a sized piece of paper between the bottom of the dial and the movement on the stem side (just underneath the datewindow). That should protect the datewheel from paint.

Fantastic work, both on the watch, and with the review itself, thanks for taking the time to share it :good:

Out of curiosity, how durable will the paints be on the insert and caseback? Should they be lasting, or might they need re-applying after a while?

Fantastic work, both on the watch, and with the review itself, thanks for taking the time to share it :good:

Out of curiosity, how durable will the paints be on the insert and caseback? Should they be lasting, or might they need re-applying after a while?

A heat-dried enamel should be permanent. I've already hit this thing with cloth, soap & water, and windex (ammonia) multiple times and no sign of any wear whatsoever.

Good to have you back Gio. Great tutorial.

If the dial is secured with dialfeet/dialscrews, a modder not comfortable with removing the dial could probably loosen the dialscrews a bit and then insert a sized piece of paper between the bottom of the dial and the movement on the stem side (just underneath the datewindow). That should protect the datewheel from paint.

If you can remove the hands and put them back on then you will be able to remove the dial and reinstall it. removing the dial is MUCH MUCH easier than putting the hands back on IMHO