When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something Wonderful Happened Last Night

Nanuq

Congratulations to my son David, the newest Eagle Scout in Western Alaska Council!

I see he's got his badges in bear-wrestling and ice-cooking, but does he have his dad's watch-crushing one?

(congrats to you and your son. Nice watch...)

Excellent, and congratulations to your son for his accomplishment. I still remember the ceramony when I received Eagle (my parents standing nearby) and mark it as one of the most important things I ever did. Plus, this is recognized today. In our quality management group of 5 there are three Eagle Scouts.

Usil

Actually Bob i would like you to come back to this thread and describe the moment you hand him the knife, it would have to be right up there as one of the best Father/Son moments.

I have a Daughter (who I love very much) but I also wanted a Son, unfortunately complications during the birth means...........well at least I have been blessed with the most wonderful daughter, so we really don't need to go there.

Ken

Thanks for explaining. Only 2%, you must the proudest dad in the world right now. I keep looking at the pictures of that knife it`s such a magnificent detailed piece of art. Your son can count himself lucky with a dad like you.

I went to shake his hand with tears in my

eyes, and he threw his arms around me and squeezed me until I could barely breathe. Then everyone in

the crowd jumped up and gave him a standing ovation.

This is a big deal for you. I get that now. Sorry I made light of it earlier. :blink:

Once more, congratulations!

Thanks guys... really it's all David, he's the one that earned this, and he deserves all the recognition.

The moment was incredible. I've been a Scoutmaster forever, and I've done Eagle Courts of Honor for

years. I always love doing them, but this one had a special meaning for me. I've been staying up late for

nights writing the ceremony to get it just right.

I got to the point in the ceremony where an older Eagle Scout gave the Eagle Charge and all Eagles in the

audience stood and repeated the Charge, reaffirming their commitment with David to the ideals of Scouting

and service, and there were old men with grey hair standing in the crowd, all bent over, holding up the

Scout Sign and repeating the words in a wavering voice. It was hard to hold it together at that point.

Then it was my turn. He and I were up front alone, the lake was behind us, it was barely drizzling, it was

silent and the air was clean and cold. There were 40 or 50 little cub scouts watching breathlessly, most of

my troop was there, many many parents, and I repeated that he has satisfied all requirements for the

award of Eagle and I then looked him in the eye and said as Scoutmaster of Troop 215 it was my honor,

and my great privilege to award him the rank of Eagle Scout. I went to shake his hand with tears in my

eyes, and he threw his arms around me and squeezed me until I could barely breathe. Then everyone in

the crowd jumped up and gave him a standing ovation. I've never seen that happen before.

What a fine, fine young man he's become. I'm sure proud of him! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow I've got tears in my eyes now :wub:

Ken