When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An offer from my wife.........Will you accept?

rckh

Dear friends & Buddies:

I had collecting reps almost 3 yrs already; some of you may know my wife is not support my hobbies at all. That's why I keep selling part of the collection in order to get a new one.

Right now; I still keep 12 reps + 1 Gen Rolex GMTIIc.

Since the end of last year; the finance crsis occur; all gen watches price drop rapidly within these few months. And I found that even a Gen rolex daytona; you can buy them very easy in LIST PRICE!!! I did told to my wife about this matter......My wife have an apartment in her homeland & Today she just confirm by the real estate company that her the apartment had been sold. My wife already received the deposit from buyer & waiting from the down payment after 10 days later. She know I like the Rolex 116520 Daytona very much. Tonight; she promise me to buy the Daytona for me once she got the payment. However; after I got the Daytona. I must quit rep world forever........

If you were me; will you accept the offer?

Best Regards,

Raymond

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Two reasons. Your love affair with the Daytona will soon fade, and you will crave something different. And secondly, once this craving starts, what are you going to buy to satisfy it? Timex? Casio?

Don't sell a lifetime of fun for one watch.

PS - Grow a pair and tell your wife to quit with the "conditional" games. Typical for a woman to try and change what you like and do :(

Two ways of looking at it.

Do you love your wife more than your reps? Assuming the answer is yes, then the fact she's willing to buy you a gen Daytona to help persuade you...well let's just say you'd be insane not to accept such an offer and quit the hobby.

One the other hand, why is she so against something you so obviously enjoy? It's not the money obviously so what? The illegality? No lies going on is there, not like you have a mistress or two is it?

The fact you're posting this makes me wonder. If you're happy with your wife, then no contest, accept the Daytona. If she's a shrew who makes your every waking hour a misery however, then just do what we'd all do....accept the Daytona anyway and continue rep collecting in secret :D

Ray Ray....Ray of Light!

Upon recieving that Genuine Daytona, if you are able to quit the Rep world, I will offer you a standing ovation courtesy of YouTube minus the head of the figure.

That said, no matter how desirable a timepiece is, eventually the love for it wears off, said to say (at least for me) but the community stays.

Ever wonder why excellente replicas are holding up in their prices compared to gens? It's the time taken to source the parts and the scarcity of the parts that commands that pricing.

The best of both worlds...I wouldn't tade 1 world for the other just because one world's material has dawned upon my laps one fine day....

I would take the one gen and give up on reps. I actually already did for a long list of reasons, some rational some just emotional. If you pick up a gen daytona now,,,,after the economy gets better you can always sell it for more, so little risks I would say if you get tired of it.

Does giving up buying mean giving up participating in this watch community? The buying of watches is only a part of the experience. The reading about projects, technical info, excitement of others new acquisitions, etc...namely all the things associated with participating in a community of shared interest you should definitely not give up on.

I think what she is saying is:

• Buy the Daytona
  • Keep participating in RWG and other forums as you see fit
  • Stop buying REPS
  • Start buying more GENS
  • Post about the gens here on RWG

:)

Its like my wife buying me a new set of Taylor-Mades, on the condition that I quit golf.

Andreww, you couldn't have put it better! ..lol:

Ray, get the Daytona... and do what DBR said, continue participating & collecting reps in secret. You can temporarily store them with me thoug. :p

Does giving up buying mean giving up participating in this watch community? The buying of watches is only a part of the experience. The reading about projects, technical info, excitement of others new acquisitions, etc...namely all the things associated with participating in a community of shared interest you should definitely not give up on.

I think what she is saying is:

• Buy the Daytona
  • Keep participating in RWG and other forums as you see fit
  • Stop buying REPS
  • Start buying more GENS
  • Post about the gens here on RWG

:)

I like that! Interesting!

BTW, My wife didn't know my GMTIIc is GEN!!!!

I got a rep before and then I sold the rep to buy the GEN......

It's a huge secret.........If anyone here tell her....I'll going to kill you ALL

Hahaha...

Best Regards,

Raymond

I like that! Interesting!

BTW, My wife didn't know my GMTIIc is GEN!!!!

I got a rep before and then I sold the rep to buy the GEN......

It's a huge secret.........If anyone here tell her....I'll going to kill you ALL

Hahaha...

Best Regards,

Raymond

There you go Raymond... if you can keep that a secret, surely keeping your participation on here a secret isn't a problem? :p

Do show us some beauty shots of your Daytona when you get it, alright? ;)

Andreww, you couldn't have put it better! ..lol:

Ray, get the Daytona... and do what DBR said, continue participating & collecting reps in secret. You can temporarily store them with me thoug. :p

Continue to collecting reps in secret.....That's impossible. My wife is not a clever lady; but not a stupid one. She recognize all my reps; even I change the strap & she will know & ask..... :p

Best Regards,

Raymond

Take the Daytona...Take the Daytona...Take the Daytona...Take the Daytona...

Quit buying reps for as long as you can...maybe 6 months, a year.

But as long as you're on the boards, you'll eventually buy again...I know I did.

But seriously, take the Daytona and keep it forever. What a gift!!!

Participation in here is not a problem. RWG became my second home in these 2 years; I'm here everyday no matter how busy in my life.

But I also can't control myself when I found all you guys getting another super rep. That's really killing me!

I also promise myself that I won't buy rep anymore after I got my Gen GMTIIc...But this faith won't hold after a month....

Damn Damn...Difficult decision...

Best Regards,

Raymond

RCKH,

that's a simple solution since you haven't been honest to her in the first place about thee GMT this one must be an easy decission for you.

My experience in keeping essential thing a "secret" isn't that good.

Let us know how the story end's

Carpe Diem

Cats

Just thank her for the offer but say no. If your wife is doing this "because she loves you and knows how much you want this watch" she'd buy it for you unconditionally. She still may if you give her that answer.

Face the reality, you are being treated like a child or worse yet, a pet dog, rewards for good behavior. Not uncommon, women do this with sex all the time, forcing some men to cheat on them. Basing a relationship on things instead of respect for each other.............its a slippery slope and one I wouldn't want to travel down in my marriage.........but to each his own. Not the way I'd want to live.

Just thank her for the offer but say no. If your wife is doing this "because she loves you and knows how much you want this watch" she'd buy it for you unconditionally. She still may if you give her that answer.

Face the reality, you are being treated like a child or worse yet, a pet dog, rewards for good behavior. Not uncommon, women do this with sex all the time, forcing some men to cheat on them. Basing a relationship on things instead of respect for each other.............its a slippery slope and one I wouldn't want to travel down in my marriage.........but to each his own. Not the way I'd want to live.

+1

Absolutely. My current wife wouldn't dream of playing those kinda games, but my first tried it on several occasions (and failed). Under no circumstances should you accept the Daytona under those conditions. It's not a gift, it's a bribe imho.