When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An offer from my wife.........Will you accept?

rckh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say don't do it, for all the reasons people have mentioned above. I got bored of my Daytona very quickly. rep or gen doesn't even come into the question. As people mentioned above, everyone will assume it is a rep anyway, because it says "Rolex" on the dial. New watches will be sure to take your eye in the future, and, if you had the Daytona, you would be honor-bound not to buy them... It's not worth it... Awesome that your wife would be prepared to do that, but it's also a serious mind-game to try and get you to 'fall into line' ;) Not worth it, my friend :)

Just thank her for the offer but say no. If your wife is doing this "because she loves you and knows how much you want this watch" she'd buy it for you unconditionally. She still may if you give her that answer.

Face the reality, you are being treated like a child or worse yet, a pet dog, rewards for good behavior. Not uncommon, women do this with sex all the time, forcing some men to cheat on them. Basing a relationship on things instead of respect for each other.............its a slippery slope and one I wouldn't want to travel down in my marriage.........but to each his own. Not the way I'd want to live.

Right on Omni! Tell it like it is, love should be unconditional.

I just think there is a whole world of difference between:

"I'll buy you a Daytona if you give up replica watch collecting because it irritates me."

to

"Because you're buying me a Daytona, I'll give up replica watch collecting because I know how much it irritates you."

B)

Nobody should ever give up a non-destructive hobby because it irritates their spouse. The problem is not with you. Your wife has the problem, because she despises something that gives you pleasure. I could see if it were a money issue, but the offer of a gen Daytona makes it obvious that it is not. Its all about insecurity. Your wife believes that your attention is focused on something else, and should be on her. Solve that issue first. The Daytona will only add to the problem, and at some point you will resent it, and see it for what it is...a leash.

Take the gen then just keep on buying reps.

When she says "That's new!!" just tell her that it's not and you've had it in the back of the wardrobe for ages. That's what women do for shoes and handbags ;) lol

Just thank her for the offer but say no. If your wife is doing this "because she loves you and knows how much you want this watch" she'd buy it for you unconditionally. She still may if you give her that answer.

Face the reality, you are being treated like a child or worse yet, a pet dog, rewards for good behavior. Not uncommon, women do this with sex all the time, forcing some men to cheat on them. Basing a relationship on things instead of respect for each other.............its a slippery slope and one I wouldn't want to travel down in my marriage.........but to each his own. Not the way I'd want to live.

+1 and this needs no other comment.

Girls are always keeping us and paying with our balls.

In my opinion, a good GF is one you respect their choices and who respect yours...

If not, run away.

PS: saying this while having a great GF...but if she blackmail, she's out.

Right on Omni! Tell it like it is, love should be unconditional.

Agree.....Maybe I should talk with her rather than make my own decision.

Why my wife not support me on this hobbies? Because they're fake; is worthness (from her point of view). I argue with the subject over & over again all this year.

She is not a big spender; she don't like to buy luxury bag, cloth, watch...etc. That's why she think I spend too much money & time on something worthness.

Daytona really my dream watch; but the super over price before finance crsis which make me I won't own one forever...It's not because I can't affort it; but It's way too much preimum on list price I need to pay. I think my wife just want to make me happy rather than push me to quit this hobby.

thx for all your input brothers! No matter whether I going to get the Tona or not. I won't leave RWG! It's too much fun & knowledge here!

Best Regards,

Raymond

All these year, I'm so proud of myself had learn so many knowledge about watches. No one ever believe I'm wearing reps; it's not because I got a stable, high-ranking job. It's because my knowledge. Many Gen owner don't know so much compare with us. Everytime I talk with my watchsmith, he's quite impress. He seldomly meet someone who can share & discuss with him. Especially for a reps collectors. Gen owner always comment us are not real watch collector; we're not respect the brand, design, the effort by watchmaker. In my point of view; I gain enough of knowledge before I have my choice on Gen.

Please get me a chance to THX RWG & all our members here! I won't quit my hobby!

Best Regards,

Raymond

Why my wife not support me on this hobbies? Because they're fake; is worthness (from her point of view). I argue with the subject over & over again all this year.

She is not a big spender; she don't like to buy luxury bag, cloth, watch...etc. That's why she think I spend too much money & time on something worthness.

Daytona really my dream watch; but the super over price before finance crsis which make me I won't own one forever...It's not because I can't affort it; but It's way too much preimum on list price I need to pay. I think my wife just want to make me happy rather than push me to quit this hobby.

thx for all your input brothers! No matter whether I going to get the Tona or not. I won't leave RWG! It's too much fun & knowledge here!

Best Regards,

Raymond

The next time your wife tries to say that, just tell her about how I sold my collection to pay for my wedding reception, and food money for Tokyo. And then...

225_32255uqum_w.jpg

:p

Only kidding, you don't have to do as the poster says :D But, it might help change her opinion of reps if she realizes that they can still be sold off in times of need :)

Best Regards,

Raymond

damn this is hard in english...ill give it a shot..

Love and Understanding are like nitroglicerine and a seriously life threatening downhill........you shouldnt use both at the same time..... love is not base in understanding..never will be....not in a fooking lifetime..love is based on mutual respect with a decent amount of empathy......its a choice..not a statement of common knowledge.......(thats you multiplied by 2...and you dont want that..neither does she)...........................................dont even dare to compare yourself to her..and the opposite applies ... she needs to accept something not easilly acceptable..(thats why its called love....) same with you..no questions..no "but why on the fooocking earth this guy/girl does that??!?!"....... you're not a transformer trying to blend together in order to be the ultimate super bad ass supertransformer deal............you're yourself..she's herself..and people commonly forget THATS the exact issue that made you 2 be together....the mutual strange differences that complete both................ never try to make the other one yourself....EVERR.....you'll get bored (and that one is for you girlfriend..been there..;) ) work your arrrseee out and buy yourself the damn gen daytona!!!its not the [censored]ing airforce one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................................

.....and buy her a present the day you buy it.. that will put perspectives in order...i hope to have you here for a long time Raymond..have fun with your hobby........thats the foocking point

i rest my bloody case

A.

To many posts for me to read through at the moment but i will say I have a problem with the whole bargain off idea.

I mean fine if your wife is worried about illegal reps she could say "Raymond I will buy you a Daytona if you stop buying reps" but thats not what she is asking she wants you to stop participating in these forums whether you buy or not.

Another point do you two have a 'this money is mine and that money is yours' marriage or is your combined finances considered 50/50, if the later you only need to look at her spending habits (Jewelery/bags/shoes) and then point out that it's your turn for something nice.

Ken

answer I belive is NO!!! Why ? Becouse soon you will get boring useing same watch even it is Rolex daytone GEn.. You will need something diffrent or LETS SAY SOMetHing diffrent to taste watch?? Than again Hello REPLICA!

Edited by seymur

Ray these are just replica watches...Worthless and meaningless outside of these forums.

As for the comments about a gen losing its appeal over time..For me it is the reps that have lost all appeal and I wear my gens all of the time these days.

A genuine Rolex is a treasure and something that will hold its financial value over time so it is a no brainer really.

I would go for it Ray.

Can always go back or just keep this hobby in the dark ;)

Cheers,

Dani

I am totally agree with Dani. Go for the Daytona Ray and don't buy any rep for a couple of months and then start again.

No matter whether I going to get the Tona or not.

None of us know your situation enough to be truly helpful, and I hate relationship advice. What makes any of us qualified to give it?

She doesnt understand about your hobby? You're going to have to make this decision without her. She gave you the stakes. You play your cards.

[censored] the economy/premium, is the extra ~$1,000 worth giving up something you love? Who are you trying to make happy? Doesn't sound like both of you can be in this situation?

Omni didn't get his reputation for nothing- wise words...listen to them.

+1 for Omni

And honestly, this hobby is pretty harmless. The cost/happiness ratio is rather small compared to other vices. There are worse things that a guy can do in his free time.

The fact that I don't really care for the modern daytonas might have quite a bit to do with my answer.... If the watch in question is a PP, Lange or VC, the answer might be predictably different....

But then again.... what does a guy in his early 30s, unmarried, GF 4000 miles away know about marriage?

cheers

siesta181