When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Home Made How To (2), Tudor Ranger Now Explorer Dial Added

Slartibartfast

OK, so having had some success with making a datewheel overlay from a water slide

decal, it dawned on me that I could have a go at creating a dial for a couple of empty case sets that I bought from the bay.

These cases were sold as Tudor Oyster Prince cases. They are good, but

not the genuine article that they were supposed to be. Still they were cheap!

I wanted to recreate a Tudor Ranger, and an early Explorer Precision, both of which originals I would love to own.

Now this is just a bit of fun you understand, and is no way intended to be a 1:1 replication, but just something

I have done for my own satisfaction, taking pictures from the net for reference. Purists look away NOW!

Still here? OK then, first things first. I needed to create a dial blank onto which I could apply the dial decal. So I bought a sheet of 0.4mm gauge brass sheet

out of which I could cut the blanks. First thing is to mark out the radius of the dial with a compass set. Then I used my 'dremel' to cut out the disk by

cutting around the scribed circle in short straight lengths.

IMG_4379.jpg

After cutting out the blank, I needed to grind off the sharp edges to create a smooth, round disk.

I needed a dial diameter of 30mm (this being a 'Jumbo' Prince case set), so after checking the final outcome with callipers, was quite pleased!

IMG_4381.jpg

Now, the decal I am using is clear, so to form the white print of the dial, I would need to create a template that used black ink for

the black parts of the dial, but clear for the white printing. So, I needed to paint the dial blank white, so that the clear decal areas

would show through white, giving a painted appearance.

IMG_4985.jpg

Next job was to create the dial 'model' in AutoCAD. This picture shows the Explorer 1 I have 'created',

but the same process was used to 'create' the Ranger.

dialcapture-01.jpg

Now print this using a 600dpi laserjet onto the decal sheet. I tried many variations to get the dial to print correctly,

and by trial and error, got it to be as good as possible (giving the limited tools available).

IMG_4561.jpg

When the decals are printed, it is simply a case of cutting them out and, using a cup of

water, wetting them so that they can slide onto your dial blank.

IMG_4993.jpg

This is very satisfying, as you suddenly end up with a recognisable dial.

IMG_5000.jpg

Now I needed to apply a bit of lume for that authentic look, so used Revell Night Color

with a touch of cream acrylic paint to get the right tone.

IMG_5071.jpg

The finish of the laser print decal is not that even as it stands, so I needed to apply a layer or

two of acrylic spray matt varnish to get a more even finish after luming. This worked quite well, IMO!

After a good period of time to allow the paint to dry, it was time to build the unit. I decided I needed

to have a go at the Ranger first. I had a spare ETA2836-2 sitting around, so ordered a set of Ranger 1

hands from Singapore. I had a Rolex crown handy too, so that was pressed into action.

By the way, before I get asked, I recreated a 'white' Ranger, as my research has told me that all the 'red' Rangers are fake.

Wouldn't want to 'fake a fake' now would I! ;)

After throwing it all together this was the result!

IMG_5311.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5328.jpg

The sharp eyed will notice some small differences between the dial photos, as I have progressed the artwork

as the project moved on. Between first prototype and final product, I have printed, applied, lumed and subsequenntly rejected at least

a dozen dials until I was satisfied with the result.

Actually I am quite pleased, and can't keep it off my wrist.

Can't wait to get the Explorer together!

If you got this far....then thanks for reading. Hope to have amused you.

Slarti

Will post as soon as ready. Dial is finished and all ready to go.

Downside is that I only have an Asian 21J to fit it to. Looking for an ETA powered no-name on the bay to rip the movement from.

You never know!

Cheers now!

Slarti

I have an ETA 2836 no-date from an explorer I if you are interested...

That is some creative stuff SB...love to see a close-up of the dial.

Looking forward to seeing the Explorer

It's good to get such positive feedback! Thanks chaps!

I will post some closer shots of the dials when I take the shots of the Explorer.

Although, that may ruin the illusion! Still; in for a penny.... B)

Oh man, that is SWEEEEET :good: If I was able to come up with a decent design for a Tudor dial, might you be able to print one up, and if so, how much would you want for the dial? I'm really keen to build a Tudor watch, but just don't have the kind of cash for an NOS dial, and something like what you've done, would be absolutely ideal for what I had in mind :) As you say, maybe not great for a perfectionist, but for someone just after a fun watch, I think you could really be onto something :)

:o so cool !

congrats -better than the fake dials on ebay :D

cheers,

Frank

That's pretty nifty, SB. The lume job looks pretty damn good. Heck, the whole process is fantastic- way to go!

Really Impressive and a nice watch at the end of it.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Time to get that Explorer bolted together. Now where's my toolkit......

Really nice work my friend! I never thought it will be possible to do something like that!

I've made the same datewheels as you did - flat-top - but I noticed that all flat-top's are silver...so my project fells thru, because for a silver sunbrushed datewheel it needs more than a good printer... :(

But now after your post I think some doors are opened which we never thought they will, and there will come some exclusive reps on daylight...just can't wait to see them ;)