When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you shave?

Admin

• 2 weeks later...

Done properly, a very sharp straight razor will give the closest shave, well, side from a Borg Warner 5000 machine Lathe.

Dry with a 5 blade battery powered handle. Tried shaving dry but my skin gets irritated enormously that I have to stop after 1 shave.<br /><br />Carpe Diem<br /><br />Cats<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2- 3 times a week head, neck, face and back with the orange mach 5 not the blue one also need the matching Gel no foam for a bump/burn free shave . I actually was lucky enough to win a lifetime supply of them but it calculates to only 15 years for me . 

I have been using Anthony Logistics and Lab SERIES for years. It def make a difference. I also use a safety razor with Gillette Blue something or other blades and I shave in the shower. Have been doing it like that for 20 years never got an ingrown hair. I switched to foam for a week and i got an ingrown hair so i know its doing something.

I use a 1910 Ever-ready lather catcher.  I have a bunch of other old-fashioned single-edge razors (for the historical value) but that's the one I use the most because it's about the closest shave I've ever had.

Other than that, it's a traditional wet-shave.   (Shaving soap and a nice brush to create a good, thick lather.  Multiple passes.)

34pnurn.jpg  And with the blade... 33e7mtc.jpg

Reading different suggestions i settled on:

-Progress Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Badger and Boar Bristle Shaving Brush

-Edwin Jagger De89bl Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor

-Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream (Sandalwood)

-Osma Bloc - Alum Block (Soothes Shaving Irritation)

This is a beginner setup. It takes a wee while to get hold of the technique!

Thank god i read this thread! Goodbye Mach 3!

So far i am really enjoying the "old school" shaves :partytime:

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

For a guy who's read this thread and has great interest in getting setup for single blade shaving, what product do you recommend for the razor, and where to buy from?

Razor?

- type

- from

Blades?

- type

- from

Badger brush?

- type

- from

Cream?

- i assume: http://www.anthony.com/store/product/shave-cream/

If you go modern buy a merkur. Not too expensive and a great tool.

For your first I would get a vintage Gillette. Cool pieces and easy to find. Just be sure the blade door is tight and closes evenly. I probably have a spare if you want one.

Try a variety of blades. There really is a difference and you are the only judge of what works for you.

Try a soap stick from Arko. You will be shocked at the price (crazy cheap) but the product is great.

I have badger and goat brushes. I don't see a significant difference.

Lately I use Dorco.

I spent less than $20 on six blade razor set, 8 razors, and handle, which will last me awhile. Their what "Dollar shave club," uses, but removes the branding of Dorco, and it's rather cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not, I haven't used shaving cream or soap to shave with in over 30 years.

Take shower in the morning, step out, grab razor and just shave! That's it, nothing else!

Learn to quick-shave in the Military and never stopped since!

Dave...

• Like 2

Believe it or not, I haven't used shaving cream or soap to shave with in over 30 years.

Take shower in the morning, step out, grab razor and just shave! That's it, nothing else!

Learn to quick-shave in the Military and never stopped since!

Dave...

A fellow army guy :D

A fellow army guy :D

I was Air Force, but don't hold that against me. B52 Crew Chief. Yes, I'm an old guy I guess.

My youngest (Daughter) is in now, along with her husband. They both are in Security Forces, going on their 5th year already!

I couldn't be a prouder Dad! :good:

Dave...

I was Air Force, but don't hold that against me. B52 Crew Chief. Yes, I'm an old guy I guess.

My youngest (Daughter) is in now, along with her husband. They both are in Security Forces, going on their 5th year already!

I couldn't be a prouder Dad! :good:

Dave...

I am in the airforce to so dont worry we guys Stick together F16 fighting falcon pilot ;)

And Nice a b52 a Big one :D

Four years in the army was in Afghanistan and Irak and toke the plunge to become a pilot and been to Libya as a pilot and just been deployed in the east for UN to keep the russian Bear at rest haha ;)

Edited by Ezio