When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Witnessed an idiot bring a rep to an AD

Ronin

So I was at my favorite AD over the weekend. I am talking to my usual salesperson when this guy walks up to the Panerai display. He had his girlfriend in tow, whom I am guessing he was trying to impress.

He proceeds to try on a PAM, and sits his YM Rep on the "pad" provided by the other sales rep. At this point I am arms length away from him and the YM.

Within seconds I notice, flat/flush with bezel crystal, wrong date mag, and a choppy 21J movement. My sales rep catches me checking it out, and looks over as well. Looks back at me, smiles, and shakes head. Nothing is said, nothing needs to be.

The girlfriend seems impressing he is looking at such an expensive watch.

The AD's are not as dumb as you might think. Especially with the obvious low end stuff.

Friendly reminder-- don't take a rep to the AD.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My AD would have picked it up and tossed it into their box with the rest of the reps and walk the guy out the store. About every 3rd time I am there, someone has the balls to walk in (usually with their GF) in tow. As soon as the rep hits the counter they take it. The funny thing is, they will take a rep, but they did nothing (due to corporate policy) as a potential customer turned thief bolted out the door with a $28K piece on their wrist. :blink:

In parts of europe where reps are actually illegal to own (Italy and Switzerland specifically) its common for AD's to confiscate watches, as the owner can't exactly go to the police. Where I live the AD would be on court in theft charges if they tried that. Only the importation of rep's for commercial purposes is illegal here.

At an AD in Houston, I saw one of the sales people at the store wearing a fake Breitling Bentley. Had a crappy tourbillon and everything. They did not carry the Breitling line.

I saw a guy working behind a bar wearing one of those last year who clearly thought it made him King Pimp :D All 'wrist shakes' to get it noticed, I think he'd seen Cocktail one too many times :lol:

I don't think a US based store would be up for the consequences for taking someones watch:

1.) It is possible the idiot received the watch under false pretense of being a gen. Imagine the surprise.

2.) Bad publicity.

3.) Legal ramifications if the sales rep made a mistake.

4.) If the idiot has the gen on their wrist already and bolts as mentioned above.

Not sure what country you are in Mike but i would not like to be the ADs lawyer, just taking peoples watches

I live in the States. It is not illegal to own Reps, just illegal to sell them as it is copyright infringement, whether as a dealer or individual. A good friend of mine is partners in a firm, that among other things, represents a few local jewelry stores. When I got into this hobby I asked him, “What could happen if walked into a Breitling AD with a fake Breitling on?” He put it simply as, any attempt to knowingly sell counterfeit merchandise is an attempt to defraud. If a individual tried fighting to get his watch back it will just be his word against theirs and in the eyes of most courts, they are going to take the side who does not own counterfeit items. All the AD has to say is "They tried selling me their fake watch". Also, the manufactures can get involved as well to aid in both legal and financial support to their dealers. Fighting the big AD's like Tourneaus, Govberg, Finks and such, you will not win. Especially places like Tourneaus where they have certified techs on hand that can verify the authenticity of a piece on the spot.

I would imagine most places would not do much of anything, but I have seen in happen on more then one occasion. To be honest, I have never been to AD where the sales people do not know EVERYTHING about what they sell and would be very hard pressed to get a Rep past them. :drinks:

I live in the States. It is not illegal to own Reps, just illegal to sell them as it is copyright infringement, whether as a dealer or individual. A good friend of mine is partners in a firm, that among other things, represents a few local jewelry stores

If I heard a store in the Mall took someone's property, I would not only never shop there, but I'd make sure anyone I spoke to about shopping or the Mall knew about the occurrence. LOL Working in a watch store is one step up from working in Burger King. Oo the manager at Burger King nabbed my replica hamburger! He's all powerful .. he can DO that!!

All the AD has to say is "They tried selling me their fake watch"

So all the watch manager has to do is commit perjury? WOW .. that's slick. I wonder how much time he'll get in prison for that.

I would imagine most places would not do much of anything, but I have seen in happen on more then one occasion. To be honest, I have never been to AD where the sales people do not know EVERYTHING about what they sell and would be very hard pressed to get a Rep past them.

My experience is just the opposite. Most sales people (excluding the occasional manager/store owner) are just clerks, even the commissioned staff. Few of these people know anything about the watches they sell, let alone having the knowledge/experience to spot a rep. :whistling:

If I heard a store in the Mall took someone's property, I would not only never shop there, but I'd make sure anyone I spoke to about shopping or the Mall knew about the occurrence. LOL.....

You think that is going to hurt their business? Not in the least bit. I am not talking about they typical “mall store” where the highest end pieces they carry is Tag or Movado, where the sales people know little to nothing. Go to a Govberg or such where they deal with piece in excess of $150K and see if they worry about someone bad mouthing their store. I was at the Tourneaus in Vegas where staff treated me like gold letting me try on $90K AP’s, when I walked in wearing a Gen. They treated my best friend like sh!t who was wearing his G-Shock. 10 minutes later a well know professional basketball player walked in a set down a 2-inch thick stake of C-notes on the counter and walked out with the most diamond encrusted piece I have ever seen. Now you think that Tourneaus sales staff or manager cares about my or my buddies opinion of their store? Actually this particular store is know to have this issue amongst people on other forums. This is the World of luxury items, they do not need to cater to the masses if they do not want to.

I am not arguing that what you say is not valid, I am just stating what I have seen.. Like Logan said as well, there are parts of the World that do not deal with Counterfeit goods in the least bit. Right or wrong, this is the World we live in. This does in fact happen and will continue to do so. You think some one sporting a rep. into AD that gets it confiscated is going to put down thousands of dollars for a lawyer to fight getting a $300 rep back? When this happens let me know, I will fly to where ever you are buy you a beer, so you can tell me to my face “I told you so.” :drinks:

So I was at my favorite AD over the weekend. I am talking to my usual salesperson when this guy walks up to the Panerai display. He had his girlfriend in tow, whom I am guessing he was trying to impress.

He proceeds to try on a PAM, and sits his YM Rep on the "pad" provided by the other sales rep. At this point I am arms length away from him and the YM.

Within seconds I notice, flat/flush with bezel crystal, wrong date mag, and a choppy 21J movement. My sales rep catches me checking it out, and looks over as well. Looks back at me, smiles, and shakes head. Nothing is said, nothing needs to be.

The girlfriend seems impressing he is looking at such an expensive watch.

The AD's are not as dumb as you might think. Especially with the obvious low end stuff.

Friendly reminder-- don't take a rep to the AD.

You guys aren't those people you see in X retail store talking the salesperson to death week after week wasting their time as well as real paying customers time and not buying any product are you?

My AD would have picked it up and tossed it into their box with the rest of the reps and walk the guy out the store. About every 3rd time I am there, someone has the balls to walk in (usually with their GF) in tow. As soon as the rep hits the counter they take it. The funny thing is, they will take a rep, but they did nothing (due to corporate policy) as a potential customer turned thief bolted out the door with a $28K piece on their wrist. :blink:

If an AD did that to me I would call the police, regardless if it's a fake, it's theft at least where I live.

If I heard a store in the Mall took someone's property, I would not only never shop there, but I'd make sure anyone I spoke to about shopping or the Mall knew about the occurrence. LOL.....

Amen Broth-ah!

Edited by OrenG

You think some one sporting a rep. into AD that gets it confiscated is going to put down thousands of dollars for a lawyer to fight getting a $300 rep back? When this happens let me know, I will fly to where ever you are buy you a beer, so you can tell me to my face “I told you so.” :drinks:

No. I think that when the Cop who comes after I call 911 says "Give the man his watch back", the Retail Store Manager will do so, and wonder to himself why he did something so foolish in the first place, as to steal someone's property in his own place of business.

Not that I'm the type who parades around AD's wearing reps .. that's just retarded. I'm saying that tough guy talk about "taking" people's property makes just as little sense. :3a:

No. I think that when the Cop who comes after I call 911 says "Give the man his watch back", the Retail Store Manager will do so, and wonder to himself why he did something so foolish in the first place, as to steal someone's property in his own place of business.

Not that I'm the type who parades around AD's wearing reps .. that's just retarded. I'm saying that tough guy talk about "taking" people's property makes just as little sense. :3a:

I dont know what you mean by tough guy talk and taking peoples property. There are people out there that are not rational. This Is a fact of life. These unstable sorts can react In ways that you and I would not, I would hope ;) It has nothing to do with tough guy talk. There are some people who would react In a way that would probably end In jail time. There are people doing time for less. Again you loose me on the tough guy talk thing :g: The bottom line Is you should not take what Is not yours. Some people might react In a way that could really FU your day. :wounded1:

I dont know what you mean by tough guy talk and taking peoples property. There are people out there that are not rational. This Is a fact of life. These unstable sorts can react In ways that you and I would not, I would hope ;) It has nothing to do with tough guy talk. There are some people who would react In a way that would probably end In jail time. There are people doing time for less. Again you loose me on the tough guy talk thing :g: The bottom line Is you should not take what Is not yours. Some people might react In a way that could really FU your day. :wounded1:

This is why people carry concealed weapons. Most of the time you won't even have to use it, but you may have to show them that you mean business.

Again you loose me on the tough guy talk thing

Stories about AD managers grabbing your watch, and being backed by invincible lawyers are designed to make them seem tough .. as if they have God-like authority over watches. When in reality, they are simply people who have made a series of very bad life-choices and are stuck working in Retail.

Did you think I was talking about you? I don't understand your not understanding ;)

Lets say that the Ad Is like quick draw Mcgraw and kills the guy over a rep. Then again Mr rep man might get the first shot off. Is really worth putting yourself and your customers well being In harms way over a rep, again people have done more for less. Im thinking thats It better to not take someones stuff, whatever It Is. :yeah:

I think we are getting OT here, the OP's point was that not all AD's are stupid clerks.

You will always find fresh face kids earning pocket money doing sales on weekends and after school but if someone has chosen this as their career path you can be sure that they will be as informed (if not more so) than you.

Ken

This is why people carry concealed weapons. Most of the time you won't even have to use it, but you may have to show them that you mean business.

I pitty the AD foo that tries taking my POrikka!

SDC12395.jpg

And to think, just yesterday I was taking that pic wondering if i'd ever get the opportunity to post some faux-slick type post with it. :1a:

Ahhh ... @ KB my apologies, I certainly didn't mean small retail business OWNERS have "made poor life choices" ... it's the Managers and clerks who get pressured to SELL SELL SELL and work every weekend for years in a row who are to be pitied. They are little cogs in the machine of Retail, to be used, abused, and yelled at by their supervisors ;/