When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Puretime 1665 Best Edition

creation88

My Puretime 1665 DRSD (dial 2) arrived today -- just over a week after I ordered it.

drsd_mbw01.jpg

First impressions are mixed. Firstly the bracelet is unusable, a screw sheared off in the last link by the clasp making it unwearable, so I'm wearing it on my spare bracelet which is put together from a load of spare parts.

Good news though -- it does in fact contain the slow beat ETA 2846 movement and it seems to be beating well (for at least the past two hours anyway) and "ticking" like a true vintage Rolex.

The spring bars are 2mm and the lug holes are drilled accordingly although I'm not sure about their position.

The bezel assembly is, to all intents and purposes, the same as my MBW and I think the MBW bezel would fit on the Puretime case although i'm not going to force it.

drsd_mbw04.jpg

The Bezel insert is nice -- no real need to replace that.

The crown is terrible -- way too fat and the crown guards need work, but there isn't that extra bit of metal the shows between the bezel and the crown that you get on MBW cases. The He Valve seems better than the MBW in that it appears to be real rather than a cosmetic dimple -- what effect that has on Water resistance I don't know and don't plan to find out.

drsd_mbw02.jpg

On to the dial. Not sure what to say here -- from some angles it looks good, the lume is quite a convincing colour in the flesh (and the hands match unlike on my MBW GW) but it is too shiny to be convincing and the lume dots seem very big (compared to the GWSD anyway).

The crystal is in my opinion better than the MBW stock one, but unfortunately it isn't seated properly

The date window isn't the right shape, but the date wheel is silver and has flat-top threes.

I've attached some photos, but I don't have any lights and it's a dull day in london, so I can't get very good dial shots.

My conclusion is that for the money, it's a pretty good rep (apart from the bracelet which I hope Angus will sort out). If I could get hold of a decent crown and sort out the crown guards, I'd consider frankening it with my MBW GW -- MBW dial and caseback, Puretime everything else although I'd end up with .

Edited by creation88

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing I plan to use rivet bracelet on mine biggrin.gif Hope you fix the pictures in the post very soon as I am anxious to see them..... I am in Norway and the mail is slooooooooooow so I will not be surprised if I have to wait another 14 days for mine sad.gif

EDIT : Ahhh there is the pics :)

The crown reminds me of the old noobmariner crowns- too big!

Trim the crown guards- I guess china will never get those right!

I ordered the GW version, so I already plan on ordering an MBW GW dial.

Still looks like a decent deal for $223- a good starting point.

So finally the good way would be:

-PT case

-2846 movement

-Gen crown and tube

-PT or gen insert/bezel

-MBW dial, caseback, strap

-PT clasp

Right?

I'd probably go for the ends of the Puretime bracelet because they fit gen springbars and MBW (or other clasp) although the Puretime has the right (plain) fliplock. Maybe a hatchet job between the two.

Just bought this one can I use this? and what tube do I need? There where only one minute left of the auction, so I do not know if I can use it or if I got screwedg.gif

EDIT: I am still a n00b and do not know what to look for...

Just bought this one can I use this? and what tube do I need? There where only one minute left of the auction, so I do not know if I can use it or if I got screwedg.gif

EDIT: I am still a n00b and do not know what to look for...

I think it's a 24-703-0 crown- 702 crowns have a longer narrower crown emblem.

Tube is the 24-7030-0-part #, nostalgia-2000 or wholesaleoutlet990 sell them on the bay for $20 or so. I've been using the WO990 ones lately w/ good results, but you need the tap (3.0mm x .35) and the tool for installing the case tube- $35 at ofrei.com or julesborel.com- for 6mm/7mm tubes, also.

drsd_mbw02.jpg

I suggest you double check the crystal on the lower SD, it looks lopsided, which might compromise its resistance to water. (provided you plan to seal it or at least service its gaskets of course).

Besides that the reps look all in all cool imo.

P.S. Unless you plan to dive in saturation you won't need the HEV function, so my suggestion is to seal it with epoxy or other means to prevent water damage.

Edited by Crab

Hows about putting a Yuki DRSD dial in or a MBK DRSD....? Is anyone of them accurate enough to "deserve" the pleasure of residing in this watch?

photo-36.jpg

I do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but I think the additional $100 entrance fee for an MBW would be money well spent. At least, out of the box, the MBW's flaws strike me as less conspicuous.

And to Nanuq's insightful comment - I agree - the round hour indexes look too big (while the rectangular indexes look too thin). The colors are a bit garish.

I love your math, freddy!

$400 for an MBW plus shipping- $20.

w/ a Swiss eta- is it a 2846?

Drill the lugholes!

does it come w/ a hollow mid link bracelet? +$90

decent 580 end links- no notches? +$20

2mm springbars- +$10

Does the current adulterated MBW 1665 take anything? crystal? How's the bezel?

Add a decent insert- $65 + s&h from PMWF and a pearl, another $20- over $90

Remember Cat's 1680?

Crown and tube is a push- both need them, maybe the Puretime will take a gen crown w/o a new tube???

Trim the cg's same deal, both need it.

I've figured a Puretime GWSD- $223 w/ shipping, and an MBW GWSD dial- $65+ $20 s&h.

So an MBW could easily total over $600, I'm at $308 on the PT w/ an MBW GWSD. Oh, does the MBW come w/ a 2846?