When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Puretime 1665 Best Edition

creation88

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for the bezel insert - markings are too fat.

You can refer to that as the 'early fat font' bezel. It's still the best 5513 insert pearl we've seen to date. I priced up a 5513 insert from PMWF earlier this week- $65 + s&h- was it $7 or so and maybe a $14 pearl from Clark's- still around $86 total or so. A gen insert should be cheaper if you can find one! I paid $65 for one 4 years ago for my gen 1680.

... and maybe a $14 pearl from Clark's- still around $86 total or so. A gen insert should be cheaper if you can find one! I paid $65 for one 4 years ago for my gen 1680.

I have the same combo and I can tell you that Clark's pearl looks nothing close to the real deal. Wrong outside shape, wrong shape of the hole and comes filled with white lume.

Dean

I have the same combo and I can tell you that Clark's pearl looks nothing close to the real deal. Wrong outside shape, wrong shape of the hole and comes filled with white lume.

Dean

Thanks for the info, Dean. I guess that means the Ofrei illumines dot for $20 + s&h- cost of poker keeps going up!

Well my GW arrived today! A few quick observations, yes the crown is too big but the case tube is fat also- gen crown might be an easy swap. Crown guards need trimming. Bezel insert looks ok- best pearl I've seen. My chinese $5 calipers say OD 36.4mm, ID 30.0mm on the insert. PMWF lists their replacement insert at 36.5 and 30.3, so I'm not too far off and it could be the chinese calipers- better set at home- $15 CN calipers w/ new battery! Case is around 38+mm wide- which matches my gen 1680. Bracelet and end pieces look good, sound tinny! Will have to oil/lubricate. Lug holes look good, will compare w/ gen tonite. And finally, the dial sucks, but since I can't handle a DRSD- too rich for me, I'll check diameter tonite and work on the MBW GWSD replacement.

Also looking forward to uncasing the 2846-2 movement and checking out the crystal- I'm not keen on the domed shape- may try out a spare Ofrei T-39 if possible. Also, want to check for a working HE valve. I do like the DW and date window- looks good to me.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased. I'm not sure the case is of the quality of the MBW, but it is an improvement over the old CN DRSD and at a great price w/ lots of neat extras

2846-2

Correct DW

93150/580 ends/fat springbars and good lugholes

nice pearl/decent insert

Pics tonite!

OK, quick and dirty

Chinese DRSD from Paul on left

Puretime's GWSD on the right

P1000259-1.jpg

6 and 9 markers on PT's are too long and narrow, other hour markers are too big, triangular marker at 12 seems too long also. 'L' in ROLEX is a tad too far left.

Paul's crown is maybe a little too big, PT's is way too big

Overall size of PT's seems better (and is slightly bigger) than Paul's.

The chinese old DRSDs and GWSDs are just a little small sizewise (Paul, Andrew, Josh maybe)

Next pic- with my Watchmaster 1680 on the left, PT's on the right.

P1000258-1.jpg

The 1680 has a gen insert- original crappy pearl!

Also a gen T-127 which got pretty scratched one day at the shooting range.

Hour markers look better, IMO.

Size of the two watches is very close.

I don't think PT's insert looks too bad next to my gen insert in the 1680- a little fatter font but it's really pretty good considering the other crap we get for 5513 inserts!

The acid test will come in a few days when I see if I can swap in an aftermarket T-39 which I have laying around. I'll also measure the dial w/ my high dollar CN calipers to see if an MBW GWSD dial will fit.

Ok, uncased the movement and dial- looks like a nice Swiss eta to me- silver, fit and finish appears Swiss- running strong

A gen crown (24-703)screws onto the tube w/ only a very slight gap at the base of the case- just like my gens.

Dial is 26.40mm, opening in the case is 27.27mm

I don't know what an MBW GWSD dial diameter is....

The HE valve is surface only- nothing on the inside of the case.

The PT crystal is 28.01 ID, 30.03 OD

PA462-67A G&S crystal- T-39 aftermarket, is 28mm ID and 30.28mm OD. This is a high dome replacement. Unfortunately I can't press it on because it's too tall for my Harbor Freight press- the dies need to be deeper. Also, this crystal is probably more appropriate for a DRSD, as I recall, GW's take a flatter crystal. But it looks like a gen/aftermarket crystal will fit. But it is interesting to note that there is a nylon gasket inside the tension ring- if you remove it, the tension ring swims around the crystal! It must reduce ID of the tension ring by a good mm.

Now I've got to find a better crystal press!