When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A project for Mrs. Ubi

ubiquitous

It's not often that ladies watches are the topic of discussion here, but I thought I'd share anyways. I had picked up this ladies DJ 4 or 5 years ago; a TW Best piece from EL back when he was in the business. I purchased this watch as a test subject to see how well Mrs. Ubi would do with a watch like this; a daily wearer of sorts, but versatile and simple enough for most occassions. If things worked out, I would be more than happy to pick up a gen for her. If it wasn't to her liking, no sweat... Minimal cost in, so no major loss.

Mrs. Ubi wore this watch day in and day out since I gave it to her, and she put this thing through the wringer (it shows!). We both agreed that the abuse this watch endured was pretty severe... For that alone, we both came to the conclusion that buying a gen was probably not conducive to acheiving great value for the money, as there were better choices for a daily beater that simply made better financial sense (she's sporting a Chanel J12 rep these days; a low cost solution which she adores). That being the case, her old DJ was retired; still worked great, but forgotten in lieu of more interesting subjects. I had all but forgotten about it as well, until I noticed it sitting quietly and motionless in the drawer the other day...

First order of business was installing a genuine 5.3mm crown. Actually, it's the only mod so far...

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

Comparing this tiny little thing to a 40mm puts it into perspective...

IMG_0724.jpg

Next order of business will be swapping out to a genuine dial... Picking the right one will be up to Mrs. Ubi, but I have a couple of ideas with that regard as well (I wouldn't mind seeing a Ladies Explorer dial gracing this case).

I know that the current trend is for ladies to wear a larger watch these days, but I still think this tiny little thing looks great on my better half's wrist. Elegant, but still casual enough to go with everyday wear. And Mrs. Ubi agrees; I think she's excited at the prospect of having a reborn franken project of her own :) Not sure that such things are of interest to the folks here, but I have to admit that this has been a fun endeavor and a nice change as well...

To be continued...

^_^

//ubi

Not only great taste in watches but a square cut diamond also.. and by the looks of the lack of colour in the stone ahigh quality one at that :thumbsupsmileyanim: . square cuts are my fave..but the grade has to be high since it will show every flaw easily.,.

Thumbs up for Mrs Ubi :1a:

AC/L

It's not often that ladies watches are the topic of discussion here, but I thought I'd share anyways.

I know that the current trend is for ladies to wear a larger watch these days, but I still think this tiny little thing looks great on my better half's wrist. Elegant, but still casual enough to go with everyday wear. And Mrs. Ubi agrees

//ubi

And a shame it is, that we don't hear more about ladies reps.

I thought bigger was better for ladies, but Mrs. P4 doesnt want a big beefy slab of watch on her wrist either. She has been enjoying her TAG Link she got for xmas, and I believe that had I gone with a larger sized watch, she wouldn't wear it.

I like that DJ dial, however upgrading this will be fun, i'll tune in to watch.

What is Mrs. Ubi's interest level in your watch hobby, and this project?

Thanks, gang! I have to admit; I didn't think a Ladies' DJ would generate this much interest :lol:

@P4- Mrs. Ubi's interest in the hobby is rather minimal. She does her best to keep up with what I'm doing regarding my own projects, but she mostly observes from a distance :) She is very supportive in this hobby however, and she'll be the first to tell me that she'd rather I build something of my own than buy the same thing at the AD if I can; the building aspect of it all does fascinate her. With regards to this particular project, she's quite interested to see what I am able to make of it. Since this is her watch, she'll have the creative input as to what dial she wants, bracelet type, bezel, etc. She's a bit of a purist however- She prefers simple, clean lines when it comes to design, so I imagine that the bezel will remain the same, she'll opt for an Oyster bracelet, the dial will be along the same theme and so on :)

@Concepta- I'm not 100% certain what this case ref is, as I've never been too familiar with the Ladies DateJust line, and their many variations :) I'll have to look that up...

Thanks again for your kind comments one and all. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes as well...