When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Dial Ageing - Homemade Vintage

Edge

This is my second attempt at vintagizing up a dial, the first attempt was the heavily vintaged 6536 that I recently had to sell, which has finally made it's way to erd.

This is a project for a friend, and I think that it looks pretty good, it has a nice light creamy yellowy patina, and an excellent grain to it.

But the kicker for me is that it GLOWS in the dark lol, yes I have managed to get it to lume. This really isn't that difficult and I thank Tribal and some of the others, Avitt, Jetsons, etc. for their input into this project.

I am willing to write atutuorial on doing this and putting it in with the mods thread that is pinned in the Watch repair and Upgrade section of the board, if there is enough demand for it.

So without further ado......

115006-22993.jpg

115006-22994.jpg

115006-22995.jpg

Please tell me what you think of the dial, and the work.

All comments appreciated negative or positive, as long as it's constructive lol.

Thanks

Edge

Yep the nightcolor worked a treat, as recommended to me by yourself and also Avitt, so I have to thank both of you for that tip, as it glows nicely.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I am really chuffed with the way it turned out, think it looks quite realistic, shame it's not for me lol.

Chris

Yep the nightcolor worked a treat, as recommended to me by yourself and also Avitt, so I have to thank both of you for that tip, as it glows nicely.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I am really chuffed with the way it turned out, think it looks quite realistic, shame it's not for me lol.

Chris

Hey Chris,

great that it work for you...

That was an old thread on RWG 1 from me....

Nice work ...

After my second attempt,i did it not again,because i ruined the Dial...

Yours looks damm fantastic...

RG Tribal

Revell Nightcolor? Wow, I missed that tip somewhere along the way. I'll have to try that.

Edge - did you have to tint the nightcolor at all?

I did have to tint it to my persinal preference which was that nice creamy yellow colour, which I have seen on LOTS of gens, so I think it looks pretty genuine, shame about the submariner text or it would be pretty spot on IMHO.

If you want the details of what I did Leitz then PM me or I might write the tutorial and add it to the rest.

Chris

....I am willing to write atutuorial on doing this and putting it in with the mods thread that is pinned in the Watch repair and Upgrade section of the board, if there is enough demand for it.

Edge

That looks very nice. Congratulations. The markers dont look like they've been repainted by hand (which I think is important ;-) A couple of days ago I bought two bottles of nightcolor to do just the same thing... your post is motivating...

Bye the way... the shop where I bought the nightcolor had to go through about ten bottles until he found two that weren't dry. Apparently this stuff dries out easily and once it has, it is rock-solid and there is no way to undo that. So check it regularily and add a little water (it is thinned with water!) if necessary.

Chris,

That dial is the ultimate one I have seen. I just love mods like that. I have been looking for the courage to start that way. At this moment I use plaster... If I mess up I can rinse with water and it's all back to start. But if you mess this up.... sigh... That is what keeps me from trying... I have Revell NC standing and waiting... Awaiting your tutorial :3a: .. Cheers