When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick and Dirty Solid Lug Bars

jmb

OK, now that "the watch" is no longer a secret ;) I'll outline how I did the solid lug bar conversion. I'm no expert but this procedure is what I came up with and it seemed to make sense to me.

When Ubi started "the project" he asked if I would like to take a stab at converting a case he was using to solid lug/strap bars ala 5513. I said, "Sure, worse that could happen is that I totally screw it up!" The case was then in the mail...

I contacted Toomuchgear, as he has a really nice example of one of this style, and he took some measurements and supplied the diameter of the bars which turned out to be 1.75mm. After running through all of the usual (and not so usual) places I order material from the closest I could get was 2mm. No prob, I thought, I'd just turn 'em down a bit.

Being so small it would be necessary to use a "follow rest" on the lathe to keep the skinny little $hit from bending. Not a problem, I remember getting one with my lathe - yeah, right, good luck finding it! Since I've had the lathe for 4-5 years, and never had the need to use the rest, it took me about half a day of looking but I finally found it and attached it to the lathe.

The follow rest needs to be adjusted to provide backup behind the piece where the cutting tool contacts the work to eliminate any flex. If you don't do this the diameter would not be constant and most likely the stock would be bent. Here's a pic of the rest installed and adjusted. I won't bore you with pictures showing me reducing this down to 1.75mm...

Lug bars 2.JPG

I then turned my attention to the case. I clamped my "fixture" into the vise on my mill and clamped the case to it. In these shots the clamp has been omitted so as to not obscure any details, just "visualize" a clamp securing the case. ;)

Lug bars 3.JPG

I then used a conical edge finder to locate the center of the hole, switched to the proper sized bit and enlarged the hole.

Lug bars 4.JPG

After drilling the case I then cut a couple pieces of the now 1.75mm rod long enough to fit and have plenty of extra to blend in.

Lug bars 5.JPG

Lug bars 6.JPG

I then made sure the pins would fit tightly into the holes, some light polishing was required to achieve a nice tight fit.

Lug bars 7.JPG

pins trial fit.JPG

The fit was such that they needed to be tapped in with a hammer so I was satisfied. I then removed the pins, applied clear epoxy into the holes, and drove the pins home. After the epoxy had time to cure I then took the assembly to the bench grinder and roughed them to length and shipped everything back to Ubi for final grinding and polishing.

final 1.JPG

final 2.JPG

final 3.JPG

final 5.JPG

final 6.JPG

That's all there is to it. Hopefully some of you will enjoy the blow-by-blow accounting of this phase of the project.