When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM's not hot anymore

P4GTR

Right on PAM guys.

My Eggi (David dl) is my favourite watch. In I am wearing it today and I am sure the guys in the casting room will say, 'Nice piece, Pres) :bangin:

Busher

Edited by Busher

Didnt wear a watch before I discovered panerai

owned a few, my work kills em quick

saw a pam in amsterdam, fell in love

i dont really care for trends or what others think

i knows wot a likes, an a like pams

Got an awesome NW MM, beautiful to behold

6152ian-9d.jpg

6152ian-9f.jpg

6152ian-9g.jpg

But here is the point. I wear my first pam quite a lot, its a 177h

or it was. Now its a fantasy oxicleaned case t48 EL 001 ziggied dial

The parts I picked up over time on the forums, and put together myself

Pams are easy to work on, I started modding with jackson's cheapies

next thing you know you can put em together blindfolded. This is where a lot

of the fascination lies. The learning curve that leads to something

you can be proud of. 280320101216.jpg

I will never be upset by someone not wanting or disliking a pam. i love em

the general theme is nothing that just about every men's fashion maven/magazine has not been saying about 'big watches' since about the early 00s.

see that's the interesting thing to me -- if the big watch trend is just a fad, why are we still going strong nearly ten years hence, with nearly every major (including rolex) making larger watches? :g:

deltatahoe

see that's the interesting thing to me -- if the big watch trend is just a fad, why are we still going strong nearly ten years hence, with nearly every major (including rolex) making larger watches? :g:

deltatahoe

Maybe, just maybe It's not a trend. But I do sometimes wonder how big Is to big, :g: 50mm, 55mm, 60mm ? 48-49mm about does It for me. :)

RE: ASKMEN

Any magazine/website with word 'Men' in the title is usually a piss poor excuse for a magazine. This applies to 'Mens Health', 'Ask Men', 'Mens Fitness'. These are advertiser driven dribble with half-ass, half-true articles. I think their target audience is high school educated, too chicken to buy Playboy, and too intimidated to buy GQ/Esquire, and buys into "pop" fitness article of the day.

(Sorry about the rant, I have been cornered at parties by dumb-dumbs citing the latest diet/fitness/style craze from these rags)

As far as PAM popularity goes. I think the gen market is up/steady, and in the rep world people are just trying to cash in on the popularity of pieces not getting worn as much. My local AD has actually 'expanded' their PAM section.

More Observations from my local AD:

Panerai Section - LARGER

Breitling Section - A 'touch' smaller

Rolex Section - Same size, but less product on display (could be Basel transition)

TAG Section - Same size

Jaeger Section - LARGER

Chopard Section - LARGER

Cartier Section - Same Size

Ebel Section - A 'touch' smaller, going back to classic designs

Patek Section - Same Size

I think TAG Heuer is the most adventurous luxury watch manufacturer right now. They constantly come up with something different. I don't like all of their new designs but at least most of their new ones have been pretty adventurous.

We have always agreed on that. Tag is unecessarily looked down on.

Basically the pursuit for perfection has sucked the spontaneous cheapo fun out of the panerai rep arena

That is very true. And a lot of people who want to buy one get scared off because of the Nexperts. Most of the decent models from the trusted dealers are very nice.

They just had a record sales year. Poor darlin's

Lol. What did they finally break 30,000 pieces?

Edited by fakemaster

We have always agreed on that. Tag is unecessarily looked down on.

a lot of people who want to buy one (Panerai Rep) get scared off because of the Nexperts. Most of the decent models from the trusted dealers are very nice.

I agree on both counts, too. TAG is very innovative. They weren't the only company to add quartz models to their line, that argument is as old as "marijuana has no medicinal use."

PAM's are really good out of the box reps, slap a nice strap on em and your done. Swapping everything out for closer to gen and/or gen parts isn't interesting to me.

I think some of you guys just wanna be like Bruno, flamboyantly waving his Panerai around on Dancing with the Stars. :whistling::bicycle:

• 4 months later...

AskMen totally sucks! I hate to flame, but I've clicked on that site so many times and been disappointed or found myself in complete disagreement just as many times. It's all advertiser driven dreck and has little to no literary value. At the end of the day it's just some keyboard jockey's irrelevant opinions.

I just got into the rep game and I don't have a PAM yet, but I have 3 on my Top 10 list. If people here are selling em cheap I may just be the first in line.

AskMen totally sucks! I hate to flame, but I've clicked on that site so many times and been disappointed or found myself in complete disagreement just as many times. It's all advertiser driven dreck and has little to no literary value. At the end of the day it's just some keyboard jockey's irrelevant opinions.

I just got into the rep game and I don't have a PAM yet, but I have 3 on my Top 10 list. If people here are selling em cheap I may just be the first in line.

way to bring it back. :drinks: Askmen is written by a bunch of was not's that spent too much time lingering in their own cloud of axe body spray aerosols.

A bit harsh (as is typical of many magazine writers looking to provoke emotions), but the general theme is nothing that just about every men's fashion maven/magazine has not been saying about 'big watches' since about the early 00s. I posted a couple of reprints from Esquire & GQ a couple of years ago on this subject, so the theme is certainly nothing new.

The sub is 40, the SMP is 41. The thickness of the sub case makes it feel more substantial. I like the profile much better, the CG's, the hefty crown. Rolex does 40mm the best. For all intents and purposes, I believe 42mm is the new 40mm and not a fad.

And for the record (as the OP) I like Pams. Being that I don't have one in my collection right now as apposed to usually having one but not wearing it, I feel like I am missing something. Just a little.

I got into PAM's in 2004. I liked their case design, their dial minimalism, the CG, and grew to like the plexi versions. I never thought of it as a way to set me above the rest of the people.

From a snob's point of view the PAM's HAVE indeed lowered themselves considerably. Today I see them on wrists of people who have no idea what model they are wearing, what is the caliber, if it is manafacture, etc. They have become mainstream, and mainstream is uncool for the snobs :)

Still this took away nothing of my taste towards them. Actually it is a good opportunity to educate some non-WISs :)

Now, as much as I like them, I have to feel really sporty to wear a Marina with a suit. It is too contrasting, and usually refrain from it. I strap a 183 or a 217.

In this respect I agree with the askmen's advice: for a single watch guy who is looking something to wear in a suit/business environment I would advise against a MARINA case panerai.

On the other hand, the suggested AL&S is an overkill for a junior executive. Especially if he is pointed to it. These are grail watches, that one has to graduate to in order to own up and appreciate.

All this discussion got me inspired to get the newly released PAM250 :)

Bought my 1st Pam homage 4 years ago before I even knew it was a Pam Homage.

Just loved the style of the watch.

IMG_0058.jpg

Now I have a box and counting.

IMG_4891-1.jpg

I have other watches and reps but none of them feel as comfortable as my Pams JMO

Nice little Pamily you have there,very nice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As my signature says... New Panerai? Please thats so 2006! :D;) I guess its one of those things, you jump on the wagon, go over board and then fall off - some expand into other things such as vintage models while most just move onto new brands. It's just the way it seems to work and has done for a while.. There are always the die hard fans in every camp be it the Rolex fans or the IWC fans.

The current 'on-trend' darling does seem to be Hublot... black Hublot's it seems - again not to everyone's taste's and can't say I see the point having done the whole PVD PAM thing after the normal PAM's were everywhere and wanting something different.. its just the way the hobby works but I guess. IWC had this too with the top gun.

I guess if Panerai does something for you, you don't need to worry about whats 'popular' just go for it, if it doesn't there's plenty of other brands to choose from - we're just lucky we can the most of our watch fetish's thanks to the amazing reps available to us sampling from every tray as it were without the damage to our pockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, the Watch Snob on askmen is one of their worst writers IMO. Heres his solution to every watch question: "Buy a patek."

If really pushed he goes to: "What? You cant afford it? Fine, buy AL&S. What do you mean you dont have $20,000 to throw on a watch, you plebe? God you philistines sicken me. I'm rich."

: "What? You cant afford it? Fine, buy AL&S. What do you mean you dont have $20,000 to throw on a watch, you plebe? God you philistines sicken me. I'm rich."

Sounds like a very diplomatic bloke who doesnt let his wealth affect his thoughtful, generous and kind nature !! :D

PAM PAM PAM PAM PAM PAm PAm PAm PAm Pam Pam Pam pam pam pam paM paM paM pAM pAM pAM PAM PAM PAM....

:rofl:

Is that with Chips and beans or beans and chips ?? :D