When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Argument Against Rolex Watches

fulanito_uk

Then there are those of us who use vintage Rolex to burst the bubble of wannabe watch aficionados for the pure sport of it. Evil? Oh, definitely yes.

Every so often I am forced to travel to the Atlantic City area for business. And if there's one thing a gambler's mecca has, it's high end watch shops. So if I find myself in the vicinity on a weekend, I just cannot say no. I was in one store looking at nice chronographs, having walked right past the display of (ewwwwwwwww) new Rolex. Wearing cheap shorts, a long sleeve Kaladi Brothers t-shirt and birkenstocks, I was holding a very nice IWC split seconds flyback chrono. The salesman was looking at me like I had crawled out from beneath the boardwalk. I admired the precision of the flyback mechanism, and the salesman asked if I had seen the new Daytona yet? His voice was dripping with sarcasm ... you could drown an entire squad of Aquazine synchronized swimmers with one sentence. So I perked right up and said "Daytona?" Let me see!! (imitating a buck-toothed midwestern corn-fed ranch hand). I scooted over to the seat in front of the (long pause) Roooooooooooolex display, and he handed me a Black Widow Daytona, asking me to please keep it above the padded display. One can never tell when one might be seized with a sudden need to scratch one's backside, inadvertently dropping the expensive watch on the glass counter top. So I turned the horrific Black Widow this way and that, imagining how it looked in my mind's eye compared to Ubi's Best, and a small glint of genuine vintage stainless steel peeked out from my sleeve. Lo and behold, it sported a 20mm oyster bracelet. The salesman saw it the same time as the store manager, and the salesman asked "oh, are you familiar with the Rolex brand?" I extended my hand just a little, letting the sleeve creep up, and mumbled something just as the manager said in a little tiny squeaky voice like a hamster, "My God, that's a Red".

Game, set, match.

I wouldn't wear any Rolex newer than about 1975 even if it was given to me. But I love the vintage models.

Then there are those of us who use vintage Rolex to burst the bubble of wannabe watch aficionados for the pure sport of it. Evil? Oh, definitely yes.

Every so often I am forced to travel to the Atlantic City area for business. And if there's one thing a gambler's mecca has, it's high end watch shops. So if I find myself in the vicinity on a weekend, I just cannot say no. I was in one store looking at nice chronographs, having walked right past the display of (ewwwwwwwww) new Rolex. Wearing cheap shorts, a long sleeve Kaladi Brothers t-shirt and birkenstocks, I was holding a very nice IWC split seconds flyback chrono. The salesman was looking at me like I had crawled out from beneath the boardwalk. I admired the precision of the flyback mechanism, and the salesman asked if I had seen the new Daytona yet? His voice was dripping with sarcasm ... you could drown an entire squad of Aquazine synchronized swimmers with one sentence. So I perked right up and said "Daytona?" Let me see!! (imitating a buck-toothed midwestern corn-fed ranch hand). I scooted over to the seat in front of the (long pause) Roooooooooooolex display, and he handed me a Black Widow Daytona, asking me to please keep it above the padded display. One can never tell when one might be seized with a sudden need to scratch one's backside, inadvertently dropping the expensive watch on the glass counter top. So I turned the horrific Black Widow this way and that, imagining how it looked in my mind's eye compared to Ubi's Best, and a small glint of genuine vintage stainless steel peeked out from my sleeve. Lo and behold, it sported a 20mm oyster bracelet. The salesman saw it the same time as the store manager, and the salesman asked "oh, are you familiar with the Rolex brand?" I extended my hand just a little, letting the sleeve creep up, and mumbled something just as the manager said in a little tiny squeaky voice like a hamster, "My God, that's a Red".

Game, set, match.

I wouldn't wear any Rolex newer than about 1975 even if it was given to me. But I love the vintage models.

Awesome story :tu: I bet the salesman got a little chat after you left about how they should enquire what watch Sir is wearing at the moment before launching into their sales show :lol: Totally with you on the vintage aspect as well. Okay, so the Tudor Sub I wear should be 80s-90s vintage, rather than 70s, but, it at least says Tudor on the dial, so it has a bit of camouflage :victory: The only modern Rolex I felt really comfortable wearing, was the Yacht-Master :g:

Despite what Rolex stands for (whether good or bad depends on your perception), IMHO, Rolex has the most classic design. That's why Sub is the most copied watch in the world ever.

Absolutely so, and that is what keeps me from drifting to other brands like Patek (as I do rather like the look of the Nautilus) I keep thinking, "Yeah, it looks nice, but it doesn't have a timing bezel..."

Well, I disagree that Rolex movements are "over-hyped". I don't think there is a non-Swiss movement out there that honestly can compare? A Chinese movement more accurate than a Rolex movement???

However, I feel that yes, a Rolex is now becoming a hyped product. I saw a Panerai chronograph in the Transporter 2 and I prefer that so much to the Daytona, but I'm just not sure which one is better!

I agree that there are many brands that probably offer better watches, or watches that are directly comparable. But the word ROLEX beats them, I think it's the same with the Lexus LS and the Mercedes-Benz S Class. The Lexus is better, hands down. But it doesn't have the star on the front.

Just my view though!

.........a small glint of genuine vintage stainless steel peeked out from my sleeve. Lo and behold, it sported a 20mm oyster bracelet. The salesman saw it the same time as the store manager, and the salesman asked "oh, are you familiar with the Rolex brand?" I extended my hand just a little, letting the sleeve creep up, and mumbled something just as the manager said in a little tiny squeaky voice like a hamster, "My God, that's a Red".

Game, set, match.

That is so funny, Nanuq. I had a similar experience a few months ago while shopping with a friend. Although I was not wearing shorts & Birkenstocks, my habiliments that day were not much better & I specifically asked to see their 116523 (silver widow, which is 1 of the few current pieces in the Rolex line that I love). When I removed my beater to try on the Daytona, the woman who was assisting me picked up my watch, gave it a good look-see & said 'That's a very old one, isn't it?!' I nodded (after all, a couple of parts in that watch are over 40 years old!) & was then led over to the Patek counter & introduced to the store manager........

4-love, your serve (whatever that means) :whistling:

I agree that there are many brands that probably offer better watches, or watches that are directly comparable. But the word ROLEX beats them, I think it's the same with the Lexus LS and the Mercedes-Benz S Class. The Lexus is better, hands down. But it doesn't have the star on the front.

I generally agree with you, but I am not so sure about that last statement ('Lexus is better, hands down')? I think equal footing is closer to the truth. Both build beautiful, well-engineered cars. However, after doing so for more than 100 years, I think Mercedes deserves some extra credit.

For years, people have grouped Porsche & Rolex together as being similar brands in their respective markets. But, having owned both Porsches & Mercedes (& Rolexes), I think the 3-pointed star & coronet are a much more accurate match-up, in terms of quality, longevity, the scale of their product offerings & technical innovation. And, more importantly, each icon - 3-pointed star & coronet - is a universally recognized symbol of quality, refinement & status. You could go into the darkest jungles of Africa & you will find that people know what those icons stand for.

And for me I had also completely lost interest in them until the folks around here introduced me to vintages.

+1.

Hey Bob what was that other story with the female sales clerk who suggested you may want to upgrade your older tatty sub you told a couple of years ago.

Well, I disagree that Rolex movements are "over-hyped". I don't think there is a non-Swiss movement out there that honestly can compare? A Chinese movement more accurate than a Rolex movement???

While I agree the over-hyped comment in the OP is BS (see my post higher up), don't discount "Grand Seiko", or "Seiko Spring Drive". Since we are talking cars and countries (Japan), there is your Lexus comparison. ;) Technologically, and reliability wise right now, I would probably have to give a Seiko Spring Drive the edge over the current Rolex movement offerings.

But again, NOTHING wrong with Rolex movements IMHO.

I generally agree with you, but I am not so sure about that last statement ('Lexus is better, hands down')? I think equal footing is closer to the truth. Both build beautiful, well-engineered cars. However, after doing so for more than 100 years, I think Mercedes deserves some extra credit.

For years, people have grouped Porsche & Rolex together as being similar brands in their respective markets. But, having owned both Porsches & Mercedes (& Rolexes), I think the 3-pointed star & coronet are a much more accurate match-up, in terms of quality, longevity, the scale of their product offerings & technical innovation. And, more importantly, each icon - 3-pointed star & coronet - is a universally recognized symbol of quality, refinement & status. You could go into the darkest jungles of Africa & you will find that people know what those icons stand for.

I'm not so sure that Mercedes and Lexus are even equal. The S Class is Mercedes' test bed for new technology that makes its way into lesser models and eventually into the general car population (including Lexus!), from pretensioners for seat belts to radar assisted cruise control, the list is endless. Lexus is not an innovator but a copier, very worthy and in some ways a better product than Mercedes was late 90s/early 2000s but still a "rep" Mercedes. Mercedes as a match for Rolex, I do agree and yes, having lived and worked in "darkest" Africa I can confirm they are well recognised symbols, in fact there is not a dictator or corrupt politician worth his salt anywhere in Africa who will not obtain the biggest and best Merc he can and a fully blinged Rolex while his people starve.

I drive a Mercedes E-klasse, it's not mine but my stepfather's company car. It's amazing how many Toyota and Mazda owners feel like they have to tell me how "crappy car Mercedes makes these days."

I'm not interested in cars that much. I used to be, but these new cars are just sterile and uninspiring... I'd love an original Audi Quattro or a Porsche 928 but that's another story. But I gotta say that Mercedes has always worked perfectly for me. And just like Rolex it has something that Toyota and Mazda will never have (no matter how good cars they are). But I gotta admit it's a bit boring. :D

My point about the cars was based on the satisfaction surveys, which the Lexus comes out on top. I took this to mean that more drivers prefer a Lexus to any other brand, but in terms of perception of quality the Mercedes is the winner. But that doesn't mean it is the best product.

I am sure a very well known auto-journalist in the UK did a comparison of the S600 and the LS600 and he said the Lexus is the winner in terms of which is better. But which one would he buy, and it was the S600.

Rolex will never change their product, so their image will remain the same.

Still, if given the choice to have a Rolex - I'd take it and be very happy!

An argument against a guy who makes arguments against a watch brand: he needs a f*!%ing life! Don't like Rolex? Then don't strap one to your wrist, call it a day, and move on. Simple. Effective. ;)

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Calling person a "poser" and fabricating a deep psychological profile of someone because he wears certain kind of watch is kinda stupid. I mean, I'm a watch enthusiast but at the end of the day it's still a friggin' wristwatch. Nothing more.

I think the poor jealous bastard who wrote that lives in a trailer park and simply can't afford one.

Calling person a "poser" and fabricating a deep psychological profile of someone because he wears certain kind of watch is kinda stupid. I mean, I'm a watch enthusiast but at the end of the day it's still a friggin' wristwatch. Nothing more.

This is the mentality of Gen owners IMHO - except that you can replace the word 'poser' with something more derogatory, and 'certain kind of' with 'fake'.

the comparison with cars is interesting but I would say that Rolex and Bose are separated at birth twins! Both make good conservative reliable products that fetch waay more than they're worth thanks to their superb marketing machine. Everybody's heard of Rolex and Bose...

Let’s get one thing straight: Rolexes are for people that know names but don’t know watches.

<_<

I was off a long time, just read here and there some post. I just come across of this one, and I can't keep my mouth shout on this.

No place to argue, this man know the truth, a big FACT that was made by a serious analysis, a straight strike generalization.

"Let's get one thing straight" like that said: There's a lot of member here who wear/have/love a Rolex and know a lot about mechanical watch and all about Rolex history, all the technology they patent, etc. CAN'T MAKE THESE KIND OF GENERALIZATION. I find this comment rude and can upset some of Rolex owner that know maybe more thing about watch than the guys. Open-minded is a quality of watch hobbyist.