When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting tired of my reps... is it just me?

Whatever123

Hi!

Well, I've been collecting watches for about 5 years now and have been into reps quite from the beginning. I also own some gen watches, of course.

I have posessed a lot of reps during the last years, most of which I have sold on not long after I bought them. It' s not that I don't like them, in fact I am mostly very impressed by the quality of the watches and like them a lot. But I get tired of them very soon, no idea why. It's not the same with my gen watches. I have sold one ore two of those in the last five years, but all the other ones I am planning to keep. In contrast, no rep watch has been in my posession for more than a year.

With reps it's more the hunt for me - I am always intrigued by new reps and want to hold them in my hands and posess them... only to sell them again shortly after that (and lose some money). It's strange, isn't it? Anyone feel the same? Or am I just weird?

I sold most of my standard reps during the last weeks because of that. I only kept a couple I wear most of the time: UPO, Bond SMP, PAM111, Tag Carrera. The PAM will have to go, too (for sale atm), because I bought PeteM's Little Hero 111i. Not sure how it will turn out with that one - I always wanted to have a LH 111, but being in Germany with very strict customs I didn't want to risk ordering directly. So this was my chance...

We'll see - maybe this will be the first rep that I will keep a bit longer. Or I'll go for a gen 111 and the LH will be on the market again...

Curious about your opinions!

Cheers,

Whatever

hey whatever :)

i mean no wonder in every sales thread is at least one replay from you :rofl:

maybe its the overflow that you have ? cause i saw you a lot watches buying and then selling again, i would only buy one watch at a time, so you can enjoy it more and you can test better if its something for you or not :) and maybe you should think better about it bevore you buy, i mean im at the beggining in reps, but this things work for me so.. :)

and also i think you handle them different.. i mean the rep and the gen watches. you should not handle them different, i cry on every scratch i make in one of my reps :cry2: for me it dont matter how much the watch was, its a relaitonship between me and my watches, the one i keep i love :D and sorry for not being monogam :rofl:

but anyways enjoy your watches :)

deniz also from germania :D

Might be because of the cost of reps, they are easily replaceable :pardon: Even though I sold my collection to pay for my wedding, to be totally honest, there were a few in there which I was actually bored of and never wore, such as my Submariner 16610, Pumpkin Planet Ocean and Panerai 127. Nothing wrong with them as watches, I'd just moved on from them. I'm now more into vintage models, and more Tudor-specific as a brand, I guess it's just a case of trying things out until you find what's right for you :victory:

People get bored of gens too. After all its just a watch after all. I find that half the fun of rep collecting is the hunt and the anticipation of delivery. Once the watch arrives, the shine tends to rub off quickly. Try to align your purchases with significant life events, a promotion, birth, death, vacation, etc. This will give your watch a sentimental value, and a lifetime spot in your watch box. ;)

I guess it's just a case of trying things out until you find what's right for you :victory:

Yeah, I think so, too. That's why I decided to re-organize my rep collection! whistling.gif

Only one more watch I want to have badly - the WM9 sub. And perhaps I'll trade my UPO for the 42mm version - I think it's a bit clumsy...

No more reps than for a while! And I'll keep the ones, I still have atm.

Overflow, as Deniz said, may also be part of the problem... I counted about 25 rep watches come and go during the last 2 years or so. But as I said, it's hard to resist... I always want to see them in person... well, at least it's not that expensive as a hobby.

Yeah, I think so, too. That's why I decided to re-organize my rep collection! whistling.gif

Only one more watch I want to have badly - the WM9 sub. And perhaps I'll trade my UPO for the 42mm version - I think it's a bit clumsy...

No more reps than for a while! And I'll keep the ones, I still have atm.

Overflow, as Deniz said, may also be part of the problem... I counted about 25 rep watches come and go during the last 2 years or so. But as I said, it's hard to resist... I always want to see them in person... well, at least it's not that expensive as a hobby.

I have to admit, personally, I wouldn't go for the WM9 sub, simply because it is a modern sub, and I prefer the more vintage models, so to me, that would just be a lot of money for a watch which I wouldn't actually like any more than a $20 version with the same overall appearance, but of course, it's all a personal matter :) I'd definitely agree about the 42mm Planet Ocean, it really is a great watch and a bit more versatile that its big brother :) If I ever got bored of my Tudor Subs (or had to sell them) then a 42mm PO would definitely be what I would be considering as a replacement :victory: I think overflow depends on the frequency of a person's watch rotations... I only really change my watch for particular occasions or to account for hot weather, so I don't need a big collection, and, to be honest, when I did have a larger collection, many of the watches just gathered dust on my shelf... On the other hand, I know there are some of our bros here who change watch daily, sometimes even several times in a day, so for those, a larger collection does afford more variety... As with everything, it's all a matter of personal taste :):drinks:

I think I understand your situation, and can empathize :)

For gens, the decision on which to buy and why is one that requires a little more thought process, and overall consideration as the purchase is usually a bit more significant than buying a rep (in terms of price, etc). So I think as a whole, the gen would have more of a chance of staying in one's collection long term, as you'd have given those watches more thought prior to buying. With reps, the buy-in is so much less that it's easy to just pick and choose and purchase; these are the watches that you might not have given any thought to in terms of gen but with the lower cost of reps it's easier to purchase and turn around if it ends up being a watch you didn't connect with.

The reps are a great way to test drive different watches that can ultimately lead to buying the gen. Reps can also make for fun projects as well, with a couple of options from that standpoint (either modding/building to the point of making a rep as close to gen as possible, or doing crazy, custom modifications to make the watch look completely different; something that one wouldn't dare consider with a pricey gen).

All in all, reps are just a lot of fun...

The reps are a great way to test drive different watches that can ultimately lead to buying the gen. Reps can also make for fun projects as well, with a couple of options from that standpoint (either modding/building to the point of making a rep as close to gen as possible, or doing crazy, custom modifications to make the watch look completely different; something that one wouldn't dare consider with a pricey gen).

That's my point of view, too. I would never have tried all those watches, maybe would not even have looked at some at an AD. So yes, right you are: The watch industry shouldn't be afraid of reps. In my opinion, a rep either leads to buying a gen or the person would never have bought the gen anyway. Only very few people buy a rep INSTEAD of the gen.

Of course it's not good for a high-priced brand such as Rolex if every dumbass wears one - but to be honest, I don't think it really damages the brand that much. For 99% of Rolex wearers (just an example...) I consider myself able to judge by the person alone if it's a gen or not... dirol.gif

I am really happy I could take a look at all those watches in person, touch them, try them on, compare them to others... That would never have been possible with gens.

And I would really like to do some modding, too. I guess that'll be the "next stage" or something... but unfortunately I'm all thumbs in matters of DIY... so I rather leave that to the experts! wink.gif

Anyway, it's a great hobby! And even if I'm downsizing my collection I will never get tired of the rep business in general. Too much fun...

It's just you man. I love my reps and gens, although I haven't bought anything new in a long time.

However it took me years to get to this point and find out what I really want.

My best reps and frankens feel every bit as nice as my gens. Well, 95% anyway. The key is to appreciate what you already have, and not what you don't have.

They're just watches, reps and gens. They won't get any more exciting than that. :D

When I started this addiction I was fascinated with every watch I got in and tried to rotate wearing them. After going through 25 or so, like you I started getting bored. It's to the point where the only ones that really interest me are ones I can build as it's the fun of getting that "good buy" on a dial that is unusual, modifying parts, etc.

Rep purchasing used to be a test-drive for me before I embark on gens, only to find that the gens (overtime) does lose it initial touch.

what andreww said about linking your emotions with a certain watch purchase through a notable life event, is what I subscribe to these days.

its the passion that keeps driving your wallet & watches...that swoons us like no others - hard to explain in words, better in acquisitions.

think about it, in this life, will you be able to purchase 1000 or more gens, and wear them? perhaps. how about a 1000 more reps + 1000 more gens after....

When numbers get crunched, it ain't that many - its just part of the consumption process.

Collectors, buyers are always intrigued by new design inventions - with statements of "Finally! They got it right!"

As long as watchmakers keep producing, this process of buy and sell will continue on....with every beating second.

If only they Reproduce Vintages, but then again, with Basel's 2010 Monte Carlo remake, it seems inevitable that new elements will be incorporated, whether we love it or not....can live with or without....

It's also true that there haven't been many popular reps released lately. I mean, all the most popular Breitlings, Omegas, Tag Heuers and Rolexes have been repped very nicely.

If you think about the current selection, it's nearly perfect. One factor is that new watch designs from say, Breitling and Rolex aren't very desirable, at least not for me. Both brands have released weird looking models and moved away from their traditional design. I mean, who is overly excited about the new fatlugs Submariner or Chronomat B01? Not many...

I can certainly see your dilema.ihave been collecting watches off and on for 40+ years. Ihve gone for yeArs with one or two, becAuse I totay lost interest . Same with reps, I was really big into reps and gens several years back, probably had 25 plus watches 15 gens and around 10 reps. I realized that they were all gAthering dust in my safe, only 2 or 3 were being used. I sold everything except 3 or 4. Got completely out of reps for around 3 years. Now I d try very hard not to impulse buy, only watches that will get wrist time. I have set and absolute max of 10. So when I get close to that number I really have to think " is this one really what I want"?

Gens will make you think a lot harder, because of the price. A 5K Rolex is Not and impulse buy, at least for me.

Yes, I like the idea of getting a watch to mark a special occasion. I did that with a gen vintage Rolex and some gen vintage Omegas. Getting another watch to mark this years' Fathers day.

Going to get another gen vintage Rolex, but awaiting some special occasion first. Like cracking open my bottle of Hennessy XO. It is still unopen as that special occasion has not yet arrived.

Some watches that I sold were because it reminded me of a sad life experience. No longer wanted to be remined of that occasion. In fact, come to think of it, I might have to sell some more.

Having the dough to by gens only, would be a waste of time. Too many options.

Reps do allow you to test drive what SEEMS to work for you.

What I have found is that there aren't really all that many choices, utlimately.

I love watches, but, NOT all of them.

Figuring out what you like is key. Rep or Gen.

There are really only a special few... like... AP Royal Oak...PP Nautilus/Aquanaut...Rolli Sub/...Omega Seamaster, etc.

But thats just me.

I think I understand your situation, and can empathize :)

For gens, the decision on which to buy and why is one that requires a little more thought process, and overall consideration as the purchase is usually a bit more significant than buying a rep (in terms of price, etc). So I think as a whole, the gen would have more of a chance of staying in one's collection long term, as you'd have given those watches more thought prior to buying. With reps, the buy-in is so much less that it's easy to just pick and choose and purchase; these are the watches that you might not have given any thought to in terms of gen but with the lower cost of reps it's easier to purchase and turn around if it ends up being a watch you didn't connect with.

All in all, reps are just a lot of fun...

I couldn't have put it better! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I broke it into five stages.

The 5 Stages of Rep Addiction

1. Obsession

2. Disappointment

3. Education

4. Appreciation

5. Boredom

It's that way for everyone. You get excited and ultimately obsessed with the hobby. Then disappointed once you hit a couple of landmines and realize there is no 'perfect Sub'. Finally you settle down, get some education (which never ends) and really start to understand the hobby. You begin to appreciate replicas as the fine works of art they are. You have owned two or three versons of that SS sub you fixated on for years and your purchases encompass a broader range of brands and styles. But eventually you see most everything and ultimately get bored.

The cycle repeats itself in a slightly different order for each person, but you never leave. The hobby owns your ass. It's like the Godfather and everytime you think you're out, a slew of new models come out and it pulls you back in.

1. Obsession

2. Disappointment

3. Education

4. Appreciation

5. Boredom

Seems right... I think I've been through all those stages. Now I am trying to get back from #5 to #4 buy selling most of my watches and only keeping the best ones... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I broke it into five stages.

1. Obsession

2. Disappointment

3. Education

4. Appreciation

5. Boredom

It's that way for everyone. You get excited and ultimately obsessed with the hobby. Then disappointed once you hit a couple of landmines and realize there is no 'perfect Sub'. Finally you settle down, get some education (which never ends) and really start to understand the hobby. You begin to appreciate replicas as the fine works of art they are. You have owned two or three versons of that SS sub you fixated on for years and your purchases encompass a broader range of brands and styles. But eventually you see most everything and ultimately get bored.

The cycle repeats itself in a slightly different order for each person, but you never leave. The hobby owns your ass. It's like the Godfather and everytime you think you're out, a slew of new models come out and it pulls you back in.

Sounds about right to me :)

I have to agree with Ubi. The decision to buy a gen (if you have the funds) is generally a much more thoughtful and deliberate process. If you are someone who owns both reps and gens then reps are more of an impulse purchase. But I never lose sight of the fact that I have a basic love of watches. Whether I want to buy a gen or several reps definitely changes over time. It is a cycle. I have been through the cycle more than once. And suspect I will again. For me the thrill of the hunt has moved to creating Frankens. I don't find that standard reps excite me unless I can amass whatever parts I want to make them special. My typical project can easily take 2-3 years and it usually starts with a critical part like dial and hands, movement, etc. But yes I still can't resist trying a super rep or two every year.

In my current phase I don't think I have bought more than a couple of reps in the last year and yet the number of franken projects continues to expand when money permits. In fact I do treasure the frankens I have built more than the gens. Gens simply cost money and you either have them or you don't. Frankens usually involve interaction with your friends and are themselves a special event - not necessarily a great investment. But I never lose sight of the fact that I love watches. Can't live with only one. And reps offer the opportunity to try out that model or brand I would never buy in gen or would only do so when I had the money and knew it was a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've done a bit of consolidation... sold a couple, bought a new one (the sub), traded my UPO against a 42mm PO.

I'm now left with the following reps:

- WM9 V2 sub

- GMT IIc

- Little Hero PAM 111i

- Tag Heuer Carrera

- SMP 300 (Bond model)

I'm pretty happy with those 5 and won't buy another one for some time. Instead I'm planning some upgrades for the existing ones (AR for the PO, new bezel and bracelet-endlinks for the SMP (maybe AR, too), the GMT IIc needs a date wheel fix, maybe the sub will need a cyclops fix...). So this will keep me occupied and I dont have to buy another watch! dirol.gif

Cheers,

Whatever

Edit: Ups, I forgot the 42mm PO, because I haven't received it yet... so it's 6 reps than. So what... whistling.gif

Edited by Whatever123

I've had a different experience of the stages of rep buying -

1. Was given Dubhai Breitling (cost about £20) by a friend as a joke. Loved it and wore it for months. I'd always been interested in watches but knew nothing about reps.

2. Started to dislike the obvious flaws in the Breitling and went through a period of research leading to membership of this and other forums.

3. Started to buy reps, all varieties.

4. Got interested in mods, repairs, etc, started to buy parts instead of complete reps and put in used ETA movements, etc.

5. Decided that I liked Rolex best, started to work on a couple of Rolex DJs (this was my grail watch), sold off most of my reps as the only thing I wear now is the DJ's in rotation, about three months each.

6. I have not bought a rep for around 18 months and am unlikely to do so except maybe as a base for modding though this is probably unlikely. Starting to cast an eye on other Rolex model gen cases and dials with a view to another Franken. I don't see myself buying gens of these Frankens as I enjoy the sourcing and modding too much and get a real kick out of wearing something I have built and knowing where all the individual bits came from.

Maybe this makes me a fraud on a rep forum? I don't know.

I also think I am well over my rep addiction.