When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Major Ploprof Issue

sfa437

I Was Ready to order the trusty swiss eta version but this has changed my mind does this crystal issue have anything to do with AR coating

with todays higher quality reps than i have used for swimming without problem i dident expect this from this legend divers watch

wearing a drivers watch even a rep that can not take a rain shower sucks!big time!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS @SFA for the headz up!

Thats ridiculous and NOT acceptable!!

Ok i understand they want to save some $ during

production but thats not a canny-attitude to me

but rather a greedy :thumbdown:

Why i think so:

I guess 99% of the serious interested rep buyers

would rather pay the "extra $" for a little bit

of quality than having a legendary-dive-rep

you couldnt just take out in the rain!!

Go figure... how silly is that??

George

Here's what it looks like with the laminate structure obvious:

100_2645.jpg

100_2646.jpg

Here's the measurement of the crystal for those worried about the same thing happening

100_2648.jpg

100_2649.jpg

Seems to be 29.5mm x 5mm My calipers took a shlt so I couldn't get a spot-on measurement :(

@mastrmind

you might be a lucky bugger getting away with a "stunt"

Indeed! It might be the difference between getting it wet and submersed. In SFA's pics^ you can see the top layer is 1.5-2mm thick. Yet my crystal is less than .5 proud of the bezel. So perhaps this gives it some sort of water protection (heh) unless submersed...?

SFA, have you contacted offshore to see if he can get a replacement?

Couple different ways I have been thinking about attacking this:

The 21j crystal is solid mineral and supposedly the same size

Buying a 2.5mm mineral and a 2.5mm sapphire, bonding them and sealing the seam with Hypo cement

Finding a 5mm thick sapphire (yeah good luck- I know)

Not quite sure which way I'm gonna go with it yet

Edited by sfa437

:black_eye::o:yuk:

that explains the issues with mine - i thought it was the AR that was stripping, but actually the laminate is slipping

waue - that really sucks....i will addresse this to Ms. King with the one i have shipped back with crystal and movement issues.

this happende after a walk in the rain :yuk:

t-Picture%20001.jpg

t-Picture%20002.jpg

t-Picture%20003.jpg

t-Picture%20004.jpg

t-Picture%20005.jpg

if i have seen this post before i bought this ploprof - i would have resisted this offer -

I had never heard a month. I had heard a couple of months and then heard it would be toward the end of the year.

Just had a mail from Mrs King about the ultimate release:

Dear my friend

Yes I just contact maker :) he told me the watch will be available next month. So I will email to you when it be available.

Anything need help email to me

Your friend

Connie

Warmest regards

Ms King

Seems to be 29.5mm x 5mm My calipers took a shlt so I couldn't get a spot-on measurement :(

Ya, 5mm would be an expensive chunk of sapphire. I'm not surprised they went with a lamination, but this is not the first crystal lamination we've seen either, and they've never screwed up like this. Odd. Anyhow, if it were me, I'd simply heat it up, split the pieces apart, and put 'em back together with some proper UV crystal cement.

E.g. "Crystal Clear" UV cement by Duro:

81190.jpg

Ya, 5mm would be an expensive chunk of sapphire. I'm not surprised they went with a lamination, but this is not the first crystal lamination we've seen either, and they've never screwed up like this. Odd. Anyhow, if it were me, I'd simply heat it up, split the pieces apart, and put 'em back together with some proper UV crystal cement.

E.g. "Crystal Clear" UV cement by Duro:

81190.jpg

That's a good suggestion since really nothing wrong with it aside from not being put together correctly in the first place lol.

Just took mine in the pool for a couple of hours, so far no issues. It's the one from torobarvo (swiss).

PloProf-O7.jpg

No which one do I keep?

Tough question. Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're diving, I would keep the LM-7. It's a pretty nice watch. I have one #0006 and I really like it. It's been underwater diving a half dozen times and no problems. Also if yours is one of the first 250, it's a numbered edition.On the other hand, if your not a diver, and you want a ploprof, this one is pretty good, although the crystal delamination issue would scare me to death.Even though yours hasn't been one of the ones to fail, there is no guarantee that the next time you take it in the pool, it won't. If it were me, I would get rid of this one and wait for the "ultimate" edition, who knows, possibly it will come with a solid sapphire crystal.

I have a question about this one, is the bezel insert sapphire like the LM-7, acrylic, or just luminous painted numbers on a metal insert?

The cost of a run of 4.5mm thick sapphire is cost prohibitive.

The Ploprof rep crystal is a simple 28.9 x 4.5 mm round flat bonded crystal consisting of a 1.5mm sapphire layer over a 3mm mineral layer.

I've now seen 8 Plopros with delaminating crystals so this seems to be somewhat problematic for this issue of the watch. I would still HIGHLY recommend keeping them away from water unless you are comfortable enough with repair to bind a new crystal and press it in.

This is unacceptable. :nea:

I think EVERY single one that fails should be returned to the various dealers for repair/exchange!

The watch is advertised as WATER-RESISTANT with every dealer I know and this should guarantee that our watches will at least withstand rain.

If this happens to mine it will be returned immediately for exchange. :(

Outrageous I say :thumbdown:

At this point and based on feedback from those members who took one for the team I will wait for the ultimate version. Life is too short to worry about the "world's greatest diving watch" falling apart in the shower. Now I am concerned the more expensive version will try and cheap out on the crystal as well given its apparent thoickness. I do hope everyone returns their watches or at least complains on this version so the dealers will understand that you can't sell a fatally flawed replica of a dive watch. Not implying Dealers knew as this sandwich type crystal has been around for a long time on the Panerai cyclops crystals but it now looks like the manufacturer has pushed it too far.

At this point and based on feedback from those members who took one for the team I will wait for the ultimate version. Life is too short to worry about the "world's greatest diving watch" falling apart in the shower. Now I am concerned the more expensive version will try and cheap out on the crystal as well given its apparent thoickness. I do hope everyone returns their watches or at least complains on this version so the dealers will understand that you can't sell a fatally flawed replica of a dive watch. Not implying Dealers knew as this sandwich type crystal has been around for a long time on the Panerai cyclops crystals but it now looks like the manufacturer has pushed it too far.

I think that would be a good thing for lots to be returned, this is not exactly a cheep rep after all!

Send them back guys