When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655 Genuine Vs Replica Pics

Jos Nana

I am with JustAsGood on this one. IMHO, it is an excellent out of the box rep of a $10-15k vintage masterpiece. To do a lot better you are going to have to outlay a multiple of the cost of this rep. I am appreciative of the constructive comments but also of our tendency to have champagne tastes on a beer budget. :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am with JustAsGood on this one. IMHO, it is an excellent out of the box rep of a $10-15k vintage masterpiece. To do a lot better you are going to have to outlay a multiple of the cost of this rep. I am appreciative of the constructive comments but also of our tendency to have champagne tastes on a beer budget. :lol:

Well, they SEEM to taste the same when one is pretty drunk, no? :lol:

I may very well get one of those, just for the fun of it. :)

BTW, the 24hr markers are square. They just look rectangular because of the closeness to the rehaut.

Thanks for correcting me on the shape of the marker. You prob have the best info since you have a gen onhand. For the price i reckon its a steal but to sell it as exactly similar is probably the reason for all these postings. If it was just sold as a fine or good copy at this price, i think it'll be lauded and many would have placed orders already.. still, i wonder whether that case can take a gen dial, if you can ever find one first... I kindof like the offwhite dials more to the orange though.. But then again, that's some crazy lume for a vintage watch :)

That's like brighter than my Wm9 V2 with superlume

All nitpicking aside, I think the issue of 24hr markers has existed on MBW and Cartel reps for years. So suppose you get the DG2813 as a base:

- probably change the crystal to clark 25-127 with jmb's help :) (the crystal on the watch is probably made of melted margarine like the rest)

- drill out the lug holes

- have the dial relumed off white and 24hr indexes extended by The Zigmeister

- don't know what to do about the seconds hand with its misplaced bubble (has there ever been a correct seconds hand for this?)

CGs look good, anything else jump out at you?

The gen watch that Joshua shows just is not right and why you are all searching the web for gen pics when I posted some good pics of my gen 1655 I don't know!!

You can see in the top picture that the rehaut is all worng on the rep. It should not be thick and visible like on the Sea dwellers and on the side profile showing the crown, the gen crown is central just like the rep. This is not possible! See my gen below. The crown is above centre as with all 1570/1575 models.

012-1.jpg

Here is another picture showing the dial detail. The outer markers should indeed touch the rehaut.

003-5.jpg

THe straight seconds hand was only on the Series 1 as was the folded band with 385 endlinks. THe series 2,3,4 had the dot seconds hand with 78360 bracelet and 580 endlinks. Just my thoughts Joshua! and I have a gen in front of me!

Sorry watcher my man.. must have missed ur earlier photos on my iphone... Thanks for the photo clarifications. You should mod your bezel.. put the black back in those numbers. I can lend you a really fine marker - ok i'm just kidding. Its A VIntaGE.

So either someone swapped the dial in Josh's Gen or someone pulled a fast one on him and sold him a poor franken.. Oh no... Wonder what Josh has to say about all these?

Having said that, what can we expect from $138, i think like i said earlier, it was the way it was marketed most likely that got these threads going. Oh Poor Steve mcqueen

Hi Watcher ...beautiful piece you have. I have never seen a seconds finger like that one, with open circle ? or black? Or is it a camera trick on the aged lume in the circle?

I think the lume has just "worn off" and dropped.

I've seen that happening on many vintage Rollies.

@watcher: That's a sick watch. You have to put it into your safe and leave it to your children. Who knows what kind of insane prices these go for in 30 years from now...

+1

You guys fucking crack me up...

An excellent rep for less than $200.00...

What is available today verses 6 or 7 years ago is astounding...

:::shaking head:::

TT

It is a REP, not a gen, even with all the EXPERTS mishaps and imperfections that were found on Josh's model, it is a great looking watch, and not bad for the money at all.

Go ahead and order one, you won't be dissapointed!!

Cheers!!!!

haha

i gotta agree with TT... pretty damn good for $200-300 bucks.. As the reps get better, we get more and more picky lol

Take this rep.. drill out the lugs and toss in a NDT or Yuki dial.. OR toss in a 1675 dial and some GMT hands and pepsi bezel... ooooohhhhhh

Why the ETA... IIRC, the GEN beat is 19.8 kbph, 21J is 21.6 kbph, ETA clone is at 28.8 kbph.

You're right. I did not read the descritptions closely enough. Joshua is offering this watch in a high-beat ETA for ~250 and low-beat DG2813 for ~130 ... I thought they were both ETA (one clone and one not), but no.

hi all , just received the spécial 1655 (A 2813) from Josh, i just drill the holl to 1,2 must say it's an excellent piece for the price ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Quick & dirty pics :

post-375-024561400 1278666935.jpg

post-375-017268000 1278666982.jpg

post-375-033815200 1278666923.jpg

post-375-089611600 1278666992.jpg

post-375-014022900 1278667033.jpg

Before you ask , yes i modify a little the band ( i really love it ) for the gen springs bars , just discard the band's end link & the open the tube of the end links (been already done on another end links not those ho came with watch, but same ) so no drill !

Thanks for looking & sorry for my english, long time without practice :whistling:

Edited by pismo

Been following this thread from the start now. some people are saying the dial is wrong i.e. the lume squares don't touch the rehaut, is this a problem with the dial, or the rehaut being too wide and not touching the lume? Also couldn't this be offered with the ETA low beat that Josh puts in the new vintage subs?

Great looking watch for the money Prismo! Thanks for the pics.

Marc.

for the gen springs bars , just discard the band's end link & the open the tube of the end links (been already done on another end links not those ho came with watch, but same ) so no drill !

Are the endlinks attached to the midlinks like on a gen, or do they detach easily?

Very nice looking bracelet; I'm really tempted now. The watch looks good, too!

Thanks, pismo. Just to confirm: Your endlinks look like this?

928672470_zaGZe-X3.jpg

And not like these?

928672479_38RCv-X3.jpg

Question to the Rolex experts: Were the endlinks on genuine 7836s constructed in both configurations, or were they all integrated with the rest of the bracelet?