When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what you drive?

Guest VINTAGE1680

BTW apologies if I already mentioned it but my all-time favourite car is known as a

BORGWARD ISABELLA COUPE

From memory, these were produced between 1957 and 1962 and cost more than the 190 Benz of the day - and are MUCH more beautiful to me anyway ... this was an era when no one mistook one make of car for another.

So, if I had the money this is what I would drive - not that they're expensive at all, they're not. But what I'd do to one would be classed as sacrilege but the fanatical restorers .... modern running gear and suspension and insane retro interior with every modern appointment plus things crazy little like model ship's propellers in the air vents etc. and serious in-car system that is concealed behind the old radio etc.

022750.4-lg.jpg

800px-1960_Borgward_Isabella_TS_Coupe_Meppen_2009.jpg

Edited by seriph

Im sorry i just have to ask:

I live in Sweden and we have decent lifes here. We all drive a Volvo or Saab and sometimes an Audi A4 or BMW 520/320.

Where do you all live who can afford all theese nice cars? Any why do you wear reps when you clearly can afford gens? Im confused.. i need some enlightment.

Peace and love my friends :)

My ride:

post-14435-0-26974600-1327529085.jpg

Edited by slask111

Im sorry i just have to ask:

Where do you all live who can afford all theese nice cars?

No one said you have to buy your "nice car" new .. my A8 was 3yrs old when I picked it up so I paid $32k instead of $75k

A 3yr old A8 is just a baby and good for another quarter million miles ... interior, exterior, and engine :clap2:

Exactly. A new A4 turbo Quattro might be $90k here. An 05 with basically the same spec but in convertible form might be 30k for a well looked after one. Sure they aren't the exact same thing but neither are they the same outlay. The build quality is the same. The prestige the same.

In the case of the Porsches I owned, I made money on every one. All were customized or modified in some way. Two were full replicas of turbos. One was a rep of the amazing 996 twin turbo 3.6 as done by RUF. In australia that car cost around $300K and I built the rep up from a 74 model in great condition. Would NEVER do it today but the 90's were a different time. All up it cost 51500 and took 6 months. Finished in jet black and with Japanese made 18 inch three piece wheels the thing was stunning. Folks would know the interiors of these earlier models really let the cars down so of course I customized it with additional Hifi and consoles etc. all in black and quite understated. Elec seats of course and black on black boot stitched trim. It was set up so nicely that the first time I took it to Hamiltons (the Australian Porsche distributors) the sales manager asked me why I 'grey marketed' the car instead of going through them. He thought itcwascthecresl thing.

That was a good day :)

...BTW I sold it to a guy who followed me home to ask me about it! In the end and accounting for tax deductions for all the work I did (is this a great country or what!!!???) I made more than $20K

Edited by seriph

My JCW and Silver Shadow 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God I love Minis - and that pic is insane! It looks like you 'posterised' the shot but I think it is just all the reflection

Where do you all live who can afford all theese nice cars? Any why do you wear reps when you clearly can afford gens? Im confused.. i need some enlightment.

I live in Australia and for twenty years have had a modest income on Australian standards. It may be that the cost of living in different countries varies greatly, but also the taxes on imported goods can impact heavily on what people buy/own/drive.... when I lived in the USA (late 80's) I bought a Porsche 911 Targa - it was a 1973 model "S" (and cost me $3500 to buy and $2700 to insure!!!!!!! Bloody California) In Australia THAT car would have been around $30,000 to buy! It is all relative but at first, it does seem weird. We are told by certain people not to [censored] when a $150 watch breaks down, yet $150 is more than a month's wages to the worker who made that watch. Cost of living and living standards are hard to comprehend, along with tax systems along with of course, continuous corporate growth in a finite world.

:D

Edited by seriph

and I have had my RR since I was 22, I am only mid 30s now

Awsome! Take care of it, its a great, great car :)

No one said you have to buy your "nice car" new .. my A8 was 3yrs old when I picked it up so I paid $32k instead of $75k

A 3yr old A8 is just a baby and good for another quarter million miles ... interior, exterior, and engine :clap2:

True, true. The Audis are great to buy used also. Not only are the buildquality of theese cars great, but to me they havent changed alot (design) for the last years so you cant se if its a -08 or -12. But thats me.

I live in Australia and for twenty years have had a modest income on Australian standards. It may be that the cost of living in different countries varies greatly, but also the taxes on imported goods can impact heavily on what people buy/own/drive.... when I lived in the USA (late 80's) I bought a Porsche 911 Targa - it was a 1973 model "S" (and cost me $3500 to buy and $2700 to insure!!!!!!! Bloody California) In Australia THAT car would have been around $30,000 to buy! It is all relative but at first, it does seem weird. We are told by certain people not to [censored] when a $150 watch breaks down, yet $150 is more than a month's wages to the worker who made that watch. Cost of living and living standards are hard to comprehend, along with tax systems along with of course, continuous corporate growth in a finite world.

:D

Yup i understand you. I have a pretty good life here in Sweden but 150$ is actually something i take care of. Tough times..

Guess im just jealous cause i cant afford the great cars i see here :/

But i wish you all the best with your cars. Its awsome to se so many that have an interest in them, with the track cars, kitted cars etc.

True, true. The Audis are great to buy used also. Not only are the buildquality of theese cars great, but to me they havent changed alot (design) for the last years so you cant se if its a -08 or -12. But thats me.

Yes, and since the A8 is entirely aluminum from front to back, and top to bottom there can be no rust .. people are amazed when I tell them the car is 13yrs old now. Of course I have 2007 wheels on it to update the look ...

Yes, and since the A8 is entirely aluminum from front to back, and top to bottom there can be no rust .. people are amazed when I tell them the car is 13yrs old now.

Pfffffffft!! What you need is magnesium-aluminum alloy ... then when it's 49 years old it will look as good as this. :tu:

grover2_sm.jpg

Just kidding, of course. anim_driving.gif

• Like 1

Pfffffffft!! What you need is magnesium-aluminum alloy ... then when it's 49 years old it will look as good as this.

grover2_sm.jpg

Just kidding, of course. anim_driving.gif

I love the series 1,2 and 3 Landrovers, apart from vintage Rolls Royce these are my favorite vehicles, I restored a safari 2a some years ago, wish I had kept it

Sent from SUNRAY MINOR