When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what you drive?

Guest VINTAGE1680

What conclusion we got from this thread?

Rep buyers are extremely wealthy people. When you go to the gen watch forums and browse for similar threads, you'll see much more modest cars.

The mystery is: why do people who drive BMW, Mercedes and Porsche top models bother with cheap and unreliable Chinese knockoffs? :Jumpy:

That is a good question! then again who would suspect that an exotic car owner is wearing a relica watch or is it that they dont see any point buying the gen when goodlooking replicas can be had for little money!

my cars? much more modest

Bottom line there are those that can afford expensive watches, but don't see the value in spending 8 - 12K for a watch, when a $300 rep is a 1:1 copy minus the movement. A watch with a $50 asian movement can keep time as well as an In House luxury brand movement costing 20 times as much. There are some of us in the rep game that like the style and design of some brands, but don't see the value in spending the money on a gen every time.

My 2 cents. I have some nice gen watches, and 1 nice rep. I'm sure there are plenty of high end gen watch owners that don't see the value in an expensive car, when to them its a means to get from point A to point B. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Last month did some swapping out of vehicles.

Dumped my Mercedes CLS:

IMAG0170.jpg

and Lexus SC430:

IMAG0013.jpg

and Lincoln Navigator:

IMAG0014.jpg

For a Cadillac CTS:

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

and Jeep Cherokee Overland:

IMAG0002.jpg

2011_wk2_Overland_Black_Black_01.jpg

The overland is by far the nicest of the bunch (and ironically cheapest by far). Plus I have 2 new vehicles to start mod'ing (and about an extra $500/month to do it with).

Oh and I still have the bike and quad:

cbr61.jpg

DS450X_xc.jpg

What conclusion we got from this thread?

Rep buyers are extremely wealthy people. When you go to the gen watch forums and browse for similar threads, you'll see much more modest cars.

The mystery is: why do people who drive BMW, Mercedes and Porsche top models bother with cheap and unreliable Chinese knockoffs? :Jumpy:

Actually By-Tor, I suspect many of us actually do buy a 'rep' car ... sort of. More properly, I suppose 'used gen' might be the better term.

Look at Dave123, he bought a 2008 SL55 which can be had (here in the US anyway) for less than $70k if one shops around. Less than half the cost of a new one. Smart money, well spent, I say ... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I almost never buy new anymore. I would much rather spend $30-$40k on a quality used car, than eat the depreciation of a new car. You can buy current body style SL's for that price (even older AMGs), as well as many of the other 'exotics' in this thread. Sure there are more expensive rides here that can't be bought for that, but they can still be had at a deep discount over the new price. Very few people (are there CIS's?) are going to know you didn't pay full price when they see you driving by. I'm looking to replace my 'bought off the Bay' XK8 right now, and can't believe the prices I am finding for quality low-mileage cars.

In short, I believe rep buyers in general are pretty savvy with money. As Dave123 also said, look what you can do with the money you save buying reps ... or even cars ... :)

Edited by tomhorn

Actually By-Tor, I suspect many of us actually do buy a 'rep' car ... sort of. More properly, I suppose 'used gen' might be the better term.

Look at Dave123, he bought a 2008 SL55 which can be had (here in the US anyway) for less than $70k if one shops around. Less than half the cost of a new one. Smart money, well spent, I say ... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I almost never buy new anymore. I would much rather spend $30-$40k on a quality used car, than eat the depreciation of a new car. You can buy current body style SL's for that price (even older AMGs), as well as many of the other 'exotics' in this thread. Sure there are more expensive rides here that can't be bought for that, but they can still be had at a deep discount over the new price. Very few people (are there CIS's?) are going to know you didn't pay full price when they see you driving by. I'm looking to replace my 'bought off the Bay' XK8 right now, and can't believe the prices I am finding for quality low-mileage cars.

In short, I believe rep buyers in general are pretty savvy with money. As Dave123 also said, look what you can do with the money you save buying reps ... or even cars ... :)

I agree 100%,great post. :good:

Good post,we cant get them here in Canada for the price they do in the states (mine was bought last December for 85k not including the new wheels) but anyone that would buy a new one would be either a fool or a guy with more $ then me,or both frankly.

My last Vette i bought a year and a half old for half the cost of new (40k here,new around 80k).

I would suspect many here with high end cars didnt buy them new,only a fool would,and i'm sure there are a few BS'ers here as well...;)

I have the Nissan X-Trail with full leather and toys. Mainly got for ease of getting in and out of and was way better specced than BMW's X5, Mercs etc. I get driven in it now obviously!

This was my real babies before the darkness came!! 2004 Lit Ed GSXR1000, full yoshi system, K&N breathing, dyno'd at 189BHP was a serious piece of kit!! Still have, will never part with it!

post-18919-0-89581200-1299542012.jpg

post-18919-0-01096500-1299541434.jpg

post-18919-0-54992700-1299541351.jpg

post-18919-0-54716000-1299541423.jpg

Sixx :bones:

Thanks M, she's my baby!!

Chrono, no it's an old RC30, awesome little bike for throwing around, hardly need to use the brakes the front end on it is so good! The other bike is a 'foxeye' fireblade (cbr1000RR to our US cousins) it also has a single sided swing arm conversion from an old VFR750. The 'Blade is by far one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, so easy to ride fast and it's planted! It's a real pain to get front tyres for it now though because back then the 'Blade had a 16" front wheel, most are 17". Still an awesome machine though!

But the black baby blows them all into the weeds, only bikes I've ridden that were better than it was my British SuperBike GSXR1000 and a BSB spec Kawasaki ZX10R that I rode for MCN in the first ever motorcycle Gumball! That was good times indeed! Even managed to beat Ghostrider, no mean feat!!

Guest Sql_pl

Thats a nice story Sixx, I didn't even know there was such thing as motorcycle gumball! Never been into bikes myself, I guess that's why!

As for what I drive, most of the time it is this - 9 years of ownership and I still absolutely adore it, practical, fully driveable in winter, capable of embarassing many supercars, a B5 RS4:

au1.jpg

au2z.jpg

Pics were taken before I had it lowered by 4 cm, looks way better now, will have to take some nicer pics.

For some nice sunny drives it is this (SL500):

39848-38335.jpg

39848-38336.jpg

It also works a bit better in moments like this:

lotn1.jpg

lotn2.jpg

lotn4.jpg

Sometimes I also get to drive my GF's E87:

jedenqj.jpg

jed2.jpg

:drinks:

That SL sounds nice SQL, but I have to agree with you on the Audi's!!

I remember coming up on one on one of my old bikes, a Kawasaki ZX6R, he moved over and waved, I wave back and nod and it's on! I'm sitting there thinking this dude is going to just dissappear backwards, I dropped a gear and let it rip, went up a cog, looked in the mirror to have a chuckle and the bugger was right up my arse!! Had to redline 2 gears to shift him!! He was in a new RS4, man that car can move!!

Nothing like showing up someone (in this case me!!) as an ass as they think they are going to blow you away!!

The Gumball was good times, got a bit insane at times, but on the whole a great time. Never been so tired in my life after it though!!

This is a couple of videos of Ghostrider, the guy I beat to 2nd place! Amazingly nice guy and really quiet and humble, he's also in his mid 40's, which makes the following even more impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShacMAn_HK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0flRAlwrlc&feature=related

Guest Sql_pl

I remember coming up on one on one of my old bikes, a Kawasaki ZX6R, he moved over and waved, I wave back and nod and it's on! I'm sitting there thinking this dude is going to just dissappear backwards, I dropped a gear and let it rip, went up a cog, looked in the mirror to have a chuckle and the bugger was right up my [censored]!! Had to redline 2 gears to shift him!! He was in a new RS4, man that car can move!!

Yup, new RS4 (B7) is also cool, love that V8 sound... But unfortunately (at least for B7 owners) the old ladyies, B5 RS4s like mine eat them alive! There is even this funny line among B5 owners "God created turbo lag to give B7 owners a chance, at least for a moment" :)

As for bikes, that's for seriously crazy people! Amazing vids!

Guest Sql_pl

piękne dziewczyny!!!!

that's all the polish I know.. beside DWA PIVA and cześć!

Wow, that's impressive! You even used polish fonts! Nice!

And when you think of it, you actually have all polish words that you need when you put them in correct order on a night out :)

• 1 month later...