When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The importance of your Avatar

Rolexman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zappa influenced my musical tastes like no other. So much range in his music over the years, still a joy to find those uncovered songs on a long forgotten tape from back when.

Mudshark.

A couple of quotes from Zappa:

The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with somebody else's life.

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.

Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"

FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

It stands for Rapid Electron Deployment and I made instrument cables that have such incredible transient response that you actually get more level out of your guitar to the amp. There is an incredible amount of science put into the design and so I really liked the description of moving electrons quickly thru a piece of copper wire.

As a scientist, it would definitely be fun to smash a beer and philosophize about this effect :o)

Nice thread R man!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Mellons thats a coincidence because if I google my name I get the same thing!!

Floyd is trying in his own way to say that the medication doesnt really work !!!

With Nanuq.... I always thought it was to do with Foxs Glacier mints !!

Cats..I thought you had spotted the plane incoming from China with your next purchase!

Don I had assumed Roger had taken some advice and had some surgery !!

Teejay ..I thought you lived in Brighton!!

And Kris I was thinking it was a mid life crisis

And mine...??? well who knows ;) Maybe I am a milkman :)

I always thought you were a fan of Stanley Kubrick's "A clockwork orange" or maybe a fan of Ludwig's ;)

great thread alright!

I put mine on because it made me laugh and we can do with a bit more laughter in the world. After reading this thread though, I'm going to find something I can identify with a little more.

thank you all for sharing. its great to hear how meaningful some of your av's are!!

mg

is it normal that i don't see my avatar on my own post? Don't know....if thats the case...my post doesn't make any sens....sorry....but it's Superman....with Loïs....with a beard....well, whatever...

great thread alright!

I put mine on because it made me laugh and we can do with a bit more laughter in the world. After reading this thread though, I'm going to find something I can identify with a little more.

thank you all for sharing. its great to hear how meaningful some of your av's are!!

mg

:lol: I can't see any avatar either.

My avatar is from the cover of Charles Mingus' album, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

The first song in that album (

) changed the way I saw (or heard) music. Very influential. Never get tired of listening to that song.

Besides, I think it's a cool picture.

I agree that it is nice if ones avatar is identifiable as unique to the member. Not sure if they really need to have any deep meaning though.

As for mine...I just liked it. I guess I am a fan of the Matrix movies so in that respect I suppose it has some meaning. It actually isn't my original either. It used to be this

matrixkrpster.gif

But then I noticed KDX had the same one (with his name of course) so I found the one I am using now and have stuck with it. That's it.

By some coincidence, I got to be member 666 "The number of the beast".. So thinking that an avatar should be something I would like to watch, and have a connection to my membership: I started to look for a good-looking girl in "devil-outfit". These small pixelated avatars seemed cool. :)

Here are some others which I considered to change around. But the little blonde with the shy smile and a tail has followed me in four years. Think I am stuck with her. :)

77930nzgglhq1ui-1.gif

123279hp4pkfn898.gif93834wmn9dqfsex.gif62866up53divviw.gif22727p71gjm0aei.gif

devil_lady_Navitimer.jpgWatchdevil2.gifAvatar3.jpg

Great thread! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My avatar just reflects my condition - a serious watch nut who sometimes might be better off in a straight jacket..? Or at least that what the wife thinks from time to time.. And I think that Jeffrey Goines with milgy eyes is perfect to illustrate this.. :)

Very cool! You really gave it some thought!

My avatar just shows a really cool guy who happened to act in a few great movies... I love a great "bad guy" and Joaquin Phoenix is the baddest of them all! :)

As for my signature, it shows my second passion after watches which is fine burgundy wine. It's an aquired taste, comparable to the PAM design. :lol: The Chateau Clos Vougeot is a symbol for centuries of wine culture and high quality enology.

Kind regards

Val.

I always thought you were a fan of Stanley Kubrick's "A clockwork orange" or maybe a fan of Ludwig's ;)

Truth is in my younger days I used to dress like a Clockwork Orange along with a few mates.... We would do everything in nadsat etc I love the film, the books (as there were 3), and the music I still blast a bit of the glorious 9th alone in the car!! Takes me back to another lifetime !! ;) Though I was more into Sham69 and the Cockney Rejects then.

I still have most of the gear, the bowler, the jockstrap, braces and a shirt with the sewn in eyes etc, which I sometimes dust off for the odd fancy dress. My favourite piece is still my special hunting stick!! I keep that in my car for old times sake!!

The sig pcture and wording above is based on the same (Alex being the main character) apart from the saying at the bottom which refers to an old motto - 'The Devil burns with us'

Both were big parts of my life and influenced the person I am now :)

@petem: it says "the devil laughs with us"....

hope i don't destroy sth here! :rolleyes:

But that sounds great, i have to admit, i've never seen the movie, i always wanted but missed it every god damn time i could have seen it....

i think last time i was so into a movie was last year: "Hunger" from Steve McQueen (not this one, the other one)