When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

biggest rolex

spineguy

If the Deepsea is too small for you, I think you are out of luck as far as Rolex goes.

p.s. The era of the big watch ended some time ago. I believe the current (fashion) trend is towards small, thin 3-hand watches. (Of course, classic Rolexes, in the 34-38mm range, are always in style.)

x2

p.s. The era of the big watch ended some time ago. I believe the current (fashion) trend is towards small, thin 3-hand watches. (Of course, classic Rolexes, in the 34-38mm range, are always in style.)

Although I agree the Rolex size is a classic unlikely to change I respectfully disagree with your market statement. If you look at the SIHH 2010 large watches are here to stay. I keep hearing that the trend is back to small but I haven't seen any proof of that anywhere.

To answer the OP I wish Rolex would release a SD type with a 42-44mm case. I also agree the DSSD has a tiny dial for such a beast. I don't get why would Rolex release something so thick with everything else tiny (dial, bracelet, clasp).

Rolex is a very, very conservative company, as most of us know. they are closely held, so they don't have a lot of pressure from outsiders who want to add their two cents. I certainly can't speak for Rolex, however when the 42mm and then 44mm watches came out followed closely by even bigger and bigger watches,I believe that those in control concluded that the big watches were a fashion fad and would soon drop off the planet. Rolex isn't interested in being swept along and then dumped by a fashion trend that skyrockets and then fizzles out. They are more interested in producing high quality watches that have evolved over the years,and will be around for more years. Rolex's only concession to the fashion "bling" thing are it's watches with diamond and other precious stone bezels and dials.

I agree 100% with Freddy, the big watch fad has come and is going or is gone. It would be interesting to see the sales figures of companies who rely heavily on big watches. I believe that quite a few folks have come to the conclusion that they can't pull off wearing the huge watches. I'm about 5'9" and weigh around 165. I've tried to wear, on several occasions, big watches liike the PAM 1000m or 2500 m Submersible both of these are pretty thick, and about 46mm. They are just too big for me. They look odd, and I bang them into everything I'm around. I feel like there are plenty of people like me that have tried and just can't pull it off. Maybe if you're 6'6 and 300 pounds you can pull it off, but not us "little guys". And remember folks from a marketing and statistical point of view, there are way more guys from 5'8" to 6' around that the guys who are 6'5" and above.

I respect the Rolex lovers but sorry, this "big watches are going or gone" is more wishful thinking than reality. Every time this subject comes up someone claims the market will be back to the 80's with 30 something being the standard. Sorry to say but I see no hard facts on that.

Out of the 19 flagship watches presented at SIHH this year the average size was 41mm with only 5 out of 19 manufacturers choosing to present watches smaller than 40mm. The largest ones were Richard Mille 47mm and IWC 46mm. Why would the big watch houses be promoting those large beasts if the market was changing?

Rolex is just happy to be a popular/recognizable brand that's comfortable where they are. More a statement of "we don't need to change" than anything to do with the rest of the market.

I disagree also.

Look at Ebay. Then compare the prices of small (30-38mm) Omega, Breitling, Ebel, Zenith, Rolex, etc. to their 40+ mm counterparts. The difference is HUGE. The big watches cost a lot more, and the small vintage ones are dirt cheap.

Which old vintage Omegas are now desirable? That's right, the big ones. That's why the vintage PloProf became a star.

No one wants a small vintage Chronomat so they're priced in the $500+ category. Want the full size? That's 2K. Who wants a Tudor Mini-Sub instead of the 40mm one? That's right: Nobody. Or Omega Seamaster midsize? They're virtually impossible to sell.

The small 36mm Rolexes sure are classy, and it's of course in the eye of the beholder, but to me they look really weird on a bigger man's wrist. But can look extremely good on a smaller, thinner guy. I wish I could wear a watch like DJ comfortably, it's a great classic... but I can't. And then again, a 45mm watch on a small, skinny guy looks just as weird.

Lots of small guys say that "I can pull this 45mm watch off easily". I think that kind of watch looks just plain out of place on a skinny wrist. But small guys are still buying big watches... the prices are dictated by demand, and there is no big market demand for small watches right now.

The Daytona USED to be considered huge and bulky - why the vintage ones didn't sell well in their day, but are now so coveted.

I am sure there were some who felt that, but the principle reason so many 62xx Daytonas sat in dealers' cases gathering dust was the fact that they were manual-wind (& an expensive manual-wind) watch at a time when other (7750-powered) chronos were hitting the market for 1/4 the price of the Daytona & they were automatic with an optional date feature, to boot.

For the past 4-5 years, just about every men's fashion magazine has been recommending classicly-sized watches. This example from Gentleman's Quarterly magazine (GQ) 2.5 years ago, but you will get the same recommendations from Esquire & Ralph Lauren, etc

gq_newrules2.jpg

Big watches are cool if you are dressed up on a night out or something, but wearing something like a super avenger on a daily basis is much LESS comfortable that wearing a 20mm submariner. Ive worn both for many many years and I am 6 foor 265lbs. I just go with what feels right. I love my super avenger but its too big... I love my 6263 also but its too small. If that watch was a 40mm then i would buy a gen right now. Its the nicest Rolex ever... but, too small for me to wear. It just doesnt feel right. My 1680 Im wearing right now feels perfect.

I think trends will go back to 40mm +-

Watches like the super avenger and the Uboats that are 48mm+ will always exist, but will never be the standard. Like freddy says, a lot of the mens fashion magazines are praising vintage watches.. even Eminem wears a 38mm datejust now, and hes one of the biggest hip hop artists out there.

I am leaning toward the Freddy333/Fashion/Economic times dictates camp for 'the average sized individual' (I agree with By-Tor that a 36mm would look strange on a large athlete/body builder, etc.)

Like anything, there are fashion forward individuals, and then there are late adopters, or 'who cares' crowd.

However, the only thing I would add is, what is still acceptable, semi fashionable (big watch, average build)-- may not be right 'for the times'. We are in tough economic times many places, and the large, look at me, bling, might send the wrong message. Contrast with a 'classic', unassuming, even vintage piece.

I would agree with the above comments about large watches. In the past few years, my taste in watches has fluctuated through a few brands, but came back to it's starting point of Rolex (okay, Tudor, but it's the same difference :lol: ) Can I put on a PAM without it feeling over-sized? To answer that question, I would have to say it depends what I'm wearing. I don't like having my forearms covered, so tend to either wear T-Shirts, roll the sleeves of a shirt, or push up the sleeves of a sweater, but of course, when the situation requires 'to the wrist' cover, I will put the sleeves down, and this is where my opinion comes into play. I can wear a Submariner-sized watch under a sleeve cuff quite comfortably. I cannot say the same thing about a Panerai... A Date-Just fits perfectly under a cuff, and, while it might look a little small to my eye if I'm wearing a T-Shirt (if I've just swapped from a Submariner) after a while, my eye adjusts to the size and it's quite acceptable (IMHO) I think the DSSD is an interesting example of a large watch, with an apparently undersized bracelet and dial. In theory, I would say, could the dial not fill the case in the same way the dial of a 45mm Planet Ocean does? But, from what I understand, the 'Original Gas Escape-Valve Ring Lock System' ring, is actually a reinforcing support to maintain the structural integrity of the watch under extreme pressure (which would crush the person wearing it at the time :whistling: ) so from that perspective, I understand that the dial couldn't actually be any bigger, because of that structural ring. Of course, given the prone to failure nature of the welds on the clasp, I'm wondering if the DSSD wasn't just an over-engineered white elephant on the part of Rolex... Looks the part at quick glance, but on further examination, probably not really up to use as a true tool-watch beater, and clearly over-engineered in terms of depth rating :) The Date-Just II, on the other hand, I believe has a case size wider than a standard Submariner, so that would get my vote as Rolex's largest (realistically useable) watch :)

I'm just looking for evidence that big watches are out or heading that way. I don't expect Rolex to create anything on a size that I would actually wear (maybe the 40mm SD) but I don't see the rest of the market following Rolex either.

I guess it depends where you're looking for your evidence :) I don't consider a magazine article or watch expo as a gauge for what's actually in or out: They might like to say what they think should be in or out, and try to get the masses to follow their dictate, but many do not go by magazines... On a forum such as this, there will always be those who are diehard Panerai fans, so they will always have an interest in those watches, so that will always make them 'appear popular/under current discussion', but is not a true barometer of what the 'man on the street' is wearing... As above, I've worn PAMs, and have a huge appreciation for the history of the company (probably more so than for the Rolex company) but, I simply don't find them comfortable wear for any wardrobe choice requiring 'sleeves down' (I'm not in a position to get tailored cuffs :whistling::bangin: ) My observation of what people are wearing in the street/bars/etc, are essentially Sub-sized watches, with very little to nothing in the +40mm range.

Who cares about "trends". They are - by definition - shallow and transient. :thumbdown:

Absolutely so :) I think watch collecting is definitely a hobby which takes time for people to truly 'find their feet' in terms of what they like and feel comfortable with, but in the end, everyone winds up with what is right for them :victory:

I am sure there were some who felt that, but the principle reason so many 62xx Daytonas sat in dealers' cases gathering dust was the fact that they were manual-wind (& an expensive manual-wind) watch at a time when other (7750-powered) chronos were hitting the market for 1/4 the price of the Daytona & they were automatic with an optional date feature, to boot.

For the past 4-5 years, just about every men's fashion magazine has been recommending classicly-sized watches. This example from Gentleman's Quarterly magazine (GQ) 2.5 years ago, but you will get the same recommendations from Esquire & Ralph Lauren, etc

gq_newrules2.jpg

This looks ridiculous. I'd feel like I was wearing my wife's watch.

This looks ridiculous. I'd feel like I was wearing my wife's watch.

If you are accustomed to wearing big watches, I can see how downsizing to a vintage classic might take some getting used to. But I think that if you have the confidence to set your own style, you can make any (gentleman's) watch look good (even if it happens to be the current fashion).

If you are accustomed to wearing big watches, I can see how downsizing to a vintage classic might take some getting used to. But I think that if you have the confidence to set your own style, you can make any (gentleman's) watch look good (even if it happens to be the current fashion).

+1 :good:

Perhaps I could wear that watch, but with the way bigger watches have moved the current style, I don't think I'd personally try too hard to set a new trend. Like someone mentioned above, if you are a smaller guy, it's much easier to pull the vintage look off, but any guy with bigger arms will look a little funny wearing the watch pictured (IMO) right now.

However, to each his own as this is just my opinion.