When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you still wear your Reps even after buying Gen?

naeems

Hehe, yes. In fact i wear reps more than gens now. Except when the gens are new.

But like Watchmeister - there are occasions where I only wear gens. Just like there are occasions where i only wear seiko's and some where I won't wear gold watches.

With the exception of G-shocks (exercise/mowing the lawn), the watches are selected purely for social or professional reasons.

I only wear my precious gens. Actually I abandoned all my old friends after I saved pennies for a few years & purchased my first gen and a brand new BMW 316i. I also joined the Rolex forum and got lots of soul mates. Then I started overusing words "fake", "filthy Chinese fake" and "Asian ripoff".

My biggest fear was always that someone "calls me out" one day. That would be the end... I could never again face my family and friends after that kind of brutal dishonesty. FAKE WATCH OMG... so I switched to gens.

PS: This is me. Watches are very important.

67885963.jpg

I only wear my precious gens. Actually I abandoned all my old friends after I saved pennies for a few years & purchased my first gen and a brand new BMW 316i. I also joined the Rolex forum and got lots of soul mates. Then I started overusing words "fake", "filthy Chinese fake" and "Asian ripoff".

My biggest fear was always that someone "calls me out" one day. That would be the end... I could never again face my family and friends after that kind of brutal dishonesty. FAKE WATCH OMG... so I switched to gens.

PS: This is me. Watches are very important.

67885963.jpg

classic.

:rofl:

Answer to the question = Yes.

However, I am quickly moving into the Ubi Camp or Franken Camp on the Rep side of the house. The satisfaction of improving, building and tinkering adds to the experience. Looking down at my wrist and seeing something I assembled or improved gives more pleasure then starring at a Gen. (Not saying I don't love my Gen collection....just sayin'...). I am pretty much done with 'out of the box' reps, and 'off the shelf' gens.. Plus, there is way too much cool vintage 5hit out there.

So you can see where this is going. A fair number of people here have moved beyond the issue of reps or gens. If you have been playing with watches (rep and gen) for years many tend to migrate to frankens. And when you look on your wrist you are not seeing the watch. You are seeing the project that took you quite some time and effort to assemble. Kind of the opposite of instant gratification. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So you can see where this is going. A fair number of people here have moved beyond the issue of reps or gens. If you have been playing with watches (rep and gen) for years many tend to migrate to frankens. And when you look on your wrist you are not seeing the watch. You are seeing the project that took you quite some time and effort to assemble. Kind of the opposite of instant gratification. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You are absolutely correct. I only have one rep that is still "Out of the box: i tried to sell it, and my wife told me that it was one of the few she really liked!! :whistling: All my other reps are pretty much modded to at least the "Franken" stage. I probably wear my reps about 75% of the time, genuine the rest. it all depends on what I'm doing. Some activities don't lend themselves to reps. such as Scuba diving, I wear my genuine Ocean7 ploprof or my MKII Stingray, when I wear a Tuxedo, I wear my IWC Calatrava, outside of those activities, It pretty much deppends on what my watch mood is for that day! It is very gratifying to look down at your watch and realize that there is a "Story" behind that particular piece, You seldom get that same feeling with a genuine. Once the thrill of "new" wears off, the genuines are pretty much "Just another watch" ., that is unless it has some special sentimental attachment. First nice watch, gift from your father, wedding present from your spouse, all of these will give the genuine a "Story" as well.

To sum it up, I see a genuine as a watch. I see a rep as a potential project ,that with the right parts, the right help, it will be much better than when I purchased it.

I wear only Reps......gens have no special allure for me. If I like the looks, and it keeps good time, Reps are.........wait for it...................................................................Justasgood.

+1 for me as well :)

Answer to the question = Yes.

However, I am quickly moving into the Ubi Camp or Franken Camp on the Rep side of the house. The satisfaction of improving, building and tinkering adds to the experience. Looking down at my wrist and seeing something I assembled or improved gives more pleasure then starring at a Gen. (Not saying I don't love my Gen collection....just sayin'...). I am pretty much done with 'out of the box' reps, and 'off the shelf' gens.. Plus, there is way too much cool vintage 5hit out there.

+1 on that one too. For me, the building or modification is the real fun. Heck, I was quite happy to wear a plastic fashion sub with a modified rep dial in it for days, just because I liked how it looked and it was a private joke. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Purely situational. I own mostly chronos (actually use the complication daily). I'll wear my armitron or X-33 for an interview or for events where I dont want the watches reputation to overshadow me. I wear my X-33 80% of the time since for me it is the ultimate tool watch and alternate when the mood hits me.

I tend to pick the occasion and the company to decide whether to wear Gen or Rep :)

But I would say I wear the reps more than the gens however I dont just wear OTB reps. I cant recall ever doing that except in the house. They dont go outside on the wrist until they have had some work or modding :)

I mostly wear reps as I like to mix and match and not too afraid if I clumsily bump it into a wall. I do wear my gens on special occasions or similar important days... That way I take really good care of the gens and hopefully they will last with me a lifetime.

My gens are an Omega Seamaster, Tag Heuer Monza Chronograph (inherited from my dad), a Helson Sharkmaster and a Lumtec M25. I also have a couple of vintage Seiko's. I wear the Seamaster a day or two each week and the Tag maybe once a month. I rotate the Helson and Lumtec in with my reps. If it weren't for the sentimental value of my dad's watches, they wouldn't get worn as much as they do. I really love my reps, with my 201a that I built, being my favorite.