When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 1680 Sub on Josh's Site?

prdubis

Which one are you looking at? The link takes me to the main page. These look like the same ones offered from Puretime except these have A2836 movements instead of ETA3846 in the ones from Angus.

"All parts interchangeable with genuine" and "made from non-dissected sample" are two phrases that just dont go together. Looks like the same Submariner with a little bullcrap marketing thrown in.

Which one are you looking at? The link takes me to the main page. These look like the same ones offered from Puretime except these have A2836 movements instead of ETA3846 in the ones from Angus.

"All parts interchangeable with genuine" and "made from non-dissected sample" are two phrases that just dont go together. Looks like the same Submariner with a little bullcrap marketing thrown in.

I have to agree.It would be tricky to use a gen as a template without taking it apart.

"All parts interchangeable with genuine" and "made from non-dissected sample" are two phrases that just don't go together.

Imho, without taking a genuine watch apart for measurements, there might be a few words added to the description...

"All parts interchangeable with genuine custom made parts." :animal_rooster:

Just one RCH plus/minus can mean the difference between fit and no fit.

Anyone know what RCH is?

hint:

One of the smallest measurements known to man. :whistling:

Topic merged

Also

Crown Is way too large and cgs are too small. But the cgs wouldn't look as bad with a smaller crown. Look at this gen.

youd have to fit a 702 tube and crown to achieve that, is it really worth the headache?

It may be possible to turn the crowns down to make it shorter and also achive the 702 look

like i did on this red MBW

DSCF1765.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Still prefer the PT 1680 version myself - if you exclude the MBK/MBW;

I guess its all been said before...........

- best OOB vintage insert out there on a dealer watch?

- 93150 bracelet excellent (incorrect clasp)

- correct closed 580 end links

- easy to drill out the lug holes and the 580's fit straight in wth 2mm bars

- plenty of CG to work with inside and outside

- tube accepts gen 703 crown

- eta 2846 movement (I have a modded 1665 and 1680 for more than a year and they have not missed a beat and great timekeepers!)

- bezel assmbly accepts gen insert and has a good profile

- replace plastic gasket with a new custom retainer ring (I can supply for use with a Clark 127)

- accepts a Clark or Cousins 127

- same price

For an extra $50/100 and a bit of work, you can upgrade this to great looking aged 'franken' vintage Sub. If you want a $1000/1500 franken, then start with a MBK.

So what's the attraction of this 'new' $200 option - sorry guys, I don't see it?

It depends what level of accuracy you want, and how much you want to spend. If you just want to add a gen crown and mod the case a little to make it look older then go with the PT sub and you'll be into it for about $400 parts and labour, unless you can mod it yourself then you are a little lower on price. If you want to go a little hardcore then you can easily spend a $1000+ on an MBW build. If you are going with a gen Rolex movement, then go with a Yuki case for $500 or better. Phong cases are about $1500 but they are regarded as the best case out there and you are getting into the VERY accurate super franken territory of $2500+

Costs are only aprox figures but you can see how the price quickly jumps up as you use better and better parts.

My MBW1680 for example

MBW watch $400

Gen 1680 Tritium NOS white letter dial $900

Serviced ETA2846 with clarke hands $250

Gen T-127 crystal $250

Gen 93150 Bracelet with 580 ends $600

Gen crown and tube $100

expensive aftermarket insert $90

Thats $2500 in parts right there before labour for someone to build it, BUT its very very accurate.

My PT1680

Watch $200 from Puretime

Service movement say $100

NEEDS gen crown say $50 used

Need better dial say a Yuki $150

Need better clasp say $50 for a rep bracelet with better clasp to swap in.

Crystal is junk so need one of those and oh yeah it doesnt fit so I have to send it to JMB to get a ring made and case milled so the crystal fits.... and a lot of CG work..

So to get the PT to good modded condition is about $500 before paying someone like JMB to do his metal magic, BUT this is only a few $ more than a stock MBW so...

For a Phone case setup take my MBW estimate and add $1000 more for the case plus another $1000 for a gen movement (prob closer to $1500 after servicing) So now we are at $4500. You may as well buy a gen for the same price and not have an aftermarket case. I admit I have spent way too much on my 1680 but its been a slow progression over a number of years. It my daily beater but I keep adding gen parts.

It depends what level of accuracy you want, and how much you want to spend. If you just want to add a gen crown and mod the case a little to make it look older then go with the PT sub and you'll be into it for about $400 parts and labour, unless you can mod it yourself then you are a little lower on price. If you want to go a little hardcore then you can easily spend a $1000+ on an MBW build. If you are going with a gen Rolex movement, then go with a Yuki case for $500 or better. Phong cases are about $1500 but they are regarded as the best case out there and you are getting into the VERY accurate super franken territory of $2500+

Costs are only aprox figures but you can see how the price quickly jumps up as you use better and better parts.

My MBW1680 for example

MBW watch $400

Gen 1680 Tritium NOS white letter dial $900

Serviced ETA2846 with clarke hands $250

Gen T-127 crystal $250

Gen 93150 Bracelet with 580 ends $600

Gen crown and tube $100

expensive aftermarket insert $90

Thats $2500 in parts right there before labour for someone to build it, BUT its very very accurate.

My PT1680

Watch $200 from Puretime

Service movement say $100

NEEDS gen crown say $50 used

Need better dial say a Yuki $150

Need better clasp say $50 for a rep bracelet with better clasp to swap in.

Crystal is junk so need one of those and oh yeah it doesnt fit so I have to send it to JMB to get a ring made and case milled so the crystal fits.... and a lot of CG work..

So to get the PT to good modded condition is about $500 before paying someone like JMB to do his metal magic, BUT this is only a few $ more than a stock MBW so...

For a Phone case setup take my MBW estimate and add $1000 more for the case plus another $1000 for a gen movement (prob closer to $1500 after servicing) So now we are at $4500. You may as well buy a gen for the same price and not have an aftermarket case. I admit I have spent way too much on my 1680 but its been a slow progression over a number of years. It my daily beater but I keep adding gen parts.

This.

The cheapest way to get into a nice vintage sub is to buy one already done. It's the same story with anything(houses, cars, etc)... That being said, if you just want to cut through the B.S. I might part with my modded MBW 1680 with the discontinued case that accepts gen parts. I think I might get a 5513/5512 and go from there.