When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Basel 2011 Thread

praetor

That small red hand on the Yachtie, is that for timing a specific type of 10-hour long Yacht race? Jeeez!

Actually , I believe that it is a 10 minute timer, used to time the race start. Pretty specialized type of watch, but i'm sure if you have enough money to race yachts, you can probably afford a Yachtmaster!! Great for wearing to the Yacht Club dance and coctail party after the races. Serious boats all have big digital timers so that the helmsman can tell to the second when he needs to be crossing the start line.

Explorer is nice.

Daytona is ugly!! What can I say nothing like the leopard pattern one from a few years back, but certainly not my cup of tea.

I honestly don't understand all the excitement over the new Explorer II. Other than the retro orange hand that drives people wild, it's a pretty timid evolution from the current model.

After initially recoiling from it, I'm starting to think the black/RG ceramic Daytona will grow on me. I'd like to see it under ordinary lighting conditions.

I've always found the YM2 to be a bit of a dog's breakfast, so I'll pass on this update!

I honestly don't understand all the excitement over the new Explorer II. Other than the retro orange hand that drives people wild, it's a pretty timid evolution from the current model.

Stole these from another forum, but looks to me to thematically be the same sort of evolution Rolex is known for (Explorer I and Submariner were both tame, though I know some will disagree w/me on the latter point).

Basel2011Rolex001.jpg

I can't tell if these are real or Photoshopped below....

5552563567_2de192bd45_o.jpg

Edited by ispytonyv

This time Rolex hasn't ruined a model. They ruined the GMT Master II, Submariner steel and two-tone, imho. Fat lugs are a welcome addition to ExpII as was a bit "undersized" watch. It wore significantly smaller than Sub and GMT, despite only 1mm difference.

It's the first new Rolex in years (that I like).

PS: I'm afraid that Pepsi GMT IIc is a Photoshop.

That's an interesting line up, thanks for sharing :good: I'm in two minds about the Tudor chronograph. On the one hand, it looks like any other fashion watch, so unlikely to attract undue attention, but on the other, there's something about it which I'm not keen on... Might be the datewheel location... :pardon:

Sorry, not feeling the orange handed MAXI-DIAL, MAXI-HAND Explorer II. :thumbdown: I don't think the proportions are correct. The orange flared arrow is out of place on the otherwise modern design. The new EXP II is something I would expect from a Japanese company like Seiko or Citizen.

Just say no to Maxi... :victory:

With luck, it will drive the value up of my beauty:

86img2186.jpg

IMHO, slim hands, and modest sized markers makes this look more like sports car instead of a SUV. Long, sleek and sexy.

Basel2011Rolex001.jpg

Bezel markers/numbers are now too small in relation to the maxification. Stout, clumsy, confused.

seiko.jpg

At least these beefy hands work. Rolex should consider moving away from oversized Mercedes hands and start clean if they want maxi.

(Just my opinion) YMMV :victory:

The Explorers are georgeous, I can only agree with By-Tor that it is the first nice Rolex for years. But I think they are getting to expensive. 5150 Euros plus taxes make it something like 6100 Euros in most European countries.

The Tudor Advisor is cool but incredibly expensive. I was told in the Rolex booth 4200 Euros plus local taxes for the Advisor on bracelet... The first new Tudor with a MSRP above 5k Euros including taxes in Europe!

love the new Exp 2, it's not just the orange hand, it's 42mm which I think is great size for modern watches IMHO

Most fashion trends would actually argue the other way right now with a return to understated. However, I do agree 42 is nice for people with larger wrist sizes. (I still a Seiko in the EXPII however.. :huh:.)

The designers at Tudor are doing an excellent job however. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm not really a "maxi-dial" lover myself....but I'm holding out for this one....it'll be my next gen purchase when it's available...

True enough it's a sort of maxi-dial but with the orange 1655 looks meshed with that of the Tudor "snowflake"...I'm DIGGIN' it.

post-30442-0-40032500-1301095470.jpg

I'm not really a "maxi-dial" lover myself....but I'm holding out for this one....it'll be my next gen purchase when it's available...

True enough it's a sort of maxi-dial but with the orange 1655 looks meshed with that of the Tudor "snowflake"...I'm DIGGIN' it.

Now that redesign makes sense. See my above comments ^^^.

Rolex seems to be very lazy with their modern tool watch designs. All they did was blow up the dimensions, and basically use the same parts across the line-up. Maxi-Dots, Maxi-Hands. (granted, this has been their MO for a long time). Changing up the hands and markers to something new and different, and even varied across the lineup would make for a more interesting product.

Ronin,you are correct indeed. I've just went back seeking the location I ran acrossed that photo on....and I am having no luck.

Please don't tell me you figure maybe that's a "dream" version. I wanna say I came acrossed it reading in Basel World but I really just am not sure.

Sweet lookin', isn't it?? I'd spring for that gen. without any delays.