When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Drilling holes ?

docdoc

Hello,

I wonder how do you proceed to drill holes in a 16600 sea dweller case to transform it into a 16660 case ? I mean which kind of tool are you suppose to use to drill from the inside lug of the case ?

and has pictures talk best :

from here k1209_4.jpg to here RX16660-SD-02.jpg

Edited by docdoc

Hello,

I wonder how do you proceed to drill holes in a 16600 sea dweller case to transform it into a 16660 case ? I mean which kind of tool are you suppose to use to drill from the inside lug of the case ?

Isn't that crystal height way too high?

Enlarging existing holes is bad enough, trying to drill new holes is going to make you crazy.

Why not get a better version of the watch with the lug holes already?

Bill

Isn't that crystal height way too high?

Enlarging existing holes is bad enough, trying to drill new holes is going to make you crazy.

Why not get a better version of the watch with the lug holes already?

Bill

Because it is not available anymore :( I looked around but no dealer have still the 16660… So the only way is to make one from a 16600, I guess.

As for the drilling. Making holes from existing ones is not difficult. I have already succeed at making some. The trick part here is that I need to drill from the inside of the lug… SO I would like to know what kind of tool do I need to use with my dremel to make holes at 90° angle.

Hello,

I wanted to see how the TW Best I was wearing looked by the gen. I think I like the alignment of my date better! LOL

Bill

post-223-0-88425900-1304105856.jpg

You can't drill it from the inside. Must be done from the outside. Must use a jig to hold the mid-case perfectly square to the holes and then use a drillpress to drill from the outside. It is a more than one-step proposition. Enlarging existing holes and drilling virgin holes is not even the same operation...at all.

Edited by preacher62

how i would approach it,

start a pilot hole with a smaller bit being drilled square against the outer lug, start the hole in reverse operation so you dont get "walking"

then use the proper size bit being square with the inner lug through the pilot hole.

if i lacked confidence to do it myself,

just send JMB a message ;)

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

"I wonder how do you proceed to drill holes in a 16600 sea dweller case to transform it into a 16660 case ? I mean which kind of tool are you suppose to use to drill from the inside lug of the case?"

I doubt it would be advisable to try to drill the holes all the way through from the inside. All the 'blind' lug holes are drilled from the inside (usually at a steep angle), but the holes are very shallow so being out of level does not matter.

The first time I drilled a no hole DJ case, I used a spring loaded center punch to dimple all four lugs where I wanted the holes. Then I drilled the holes in two steps...one smaller bit all the way through and finished with the correct size.

It worked fine.

On the next case, a bit broke off in one lug just after meeting with the existing hole and I drove it out from the inside and saved the case. Then a bit broke off part way through and screwed the lug up because the bit flexed when it broke and walked across the lug before I could let off on the drill press feed.

A submariner case might be a little easier because of the flat sides.

After thinking it over, I guess the best bet is to make a case holding fixture of some sort that holds the case securely and can be mounted in a drill press or small milling machine. I may get a couple pieces of aluminum (softer than steel = less scratching) and make a clamping device to hold a bare case...no crystal. It will probably work Ok with the bezel still on the watch but with the insert removed. I will use a miniature milling machine next time and mount the holder and case in the machine so it does not move around at all. It would be best to pad the aluminum with something but it would have to be fairly rigid...maybe self adhesive plastic/asphalt floor tile with peel off backing like you use over concrete floors etc.

The milling machine has a manual screw feed and is much easier to control the cutting rate than a drill press. It also has infinite bit speed so starting the bit will be a lot easier.

If this works, I will post the results. It may be a while though.

"I can enlarge existing holes, but for virgin holes I turn to jmb."

I am going to leave this one alone for now but it sounds sorta like JMB been hangin' around the High School again... :animal_rooster:

Hmmm... I've tried to stay out of this but now y'all are accusing me of drillin' virgins. I'm just glad the ol' lady doesn't hang out on rep fora... :whistling:

Hmmm... I've tried to stay out of this but now y'all are accusing me of drillin' virgins. I'm just glad the ol' lady doesn't hang out on rep fora... :whistling:

What I do is use one of those spring loaded center punch markers and make a nice little dent where you want the hole. This makes a perfect starting point to keep your drill from wandering. Just dont screw this part up. You only get ONE shot to get the dimple in the right spot. Then use a drill press and low speed to make the hole. Its not that difficult if you have the right tools and take your time.

As for "drilling virgins", I'll leave that up to Justin!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

lol

With a #55 cobalt bit speed should be at least 2000 RPM. Small diameter bits can easily grab and snap off if too low a speed is used.

that setup looks like the powerdrill might wobble even the slightest bit, since its strapped in.

Never had a problem with it (no broken bits or damaged holes). Just follow the setup instructions & keep the drill bit exposure to a minimum (long enough to drill through the material & no more).