When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you ever been asked for copy of ID from dealers

krpster

Hello all,

I have recently put through an order with one of the dealers for a few new watches. A few days later I got an email back asking me to send scans of my credit card and ID as there was some problem with processing via the provider / gateway / whatever. The money has been debited to my card but it hasn't made it to the dealer. They did say to block out certain portions of card and ID for security purposes. I was just wondering if any of you have had similar experience or not. I am hesitant to send this kind of data out. Your thoughts and comments are welcome?

No.

My general rule is no one sees my ID, except:

Law Enforcement

Medical Professionals

MY Bank / lenders.

(when younger) the door man at the bar/club/liquor store.

I am sure it is benign, and even ok to 'flash' your ID with certain CC purchases in high fraud areas. But 'scan' of it. NO!

I wouldn't do it period.

How do you know if the dealer or someone that has access to his customer (another employee) is the one asking?

How do you know if someone doesn't want the scan for the sole purpose of making copies?

We have a TV program here in Oz called border patrol, in one program a Chinese person was stopped carrying rolls of blank credit card copies.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback gents. Your reaction and thoughts are the same as mine. After the initial request I refused and asked to have my order cancelled. Their response was another request for said documentation with the re-assurance that it is secure and safe if some of the data is blocked out :whistling:. Needless to say my answer is still no. At this point all I can say is that I believe it is Purely innocent ;) but I am disappointed since it is the only place to get the model I was after (1665 GW)

By dealer, did you mean AD or a "Collector" preferred dealer here? (Guessing the former based on 1665 comment).

I would think the Admin team should inquire if we have dealer asking for extraneous personally identifiable information.

I am with Tx. If you have to have a specific watch from a specific dealer add $20 for Western Union. Otherwise go elsewhere. If the payment is shown as being debited and yet he hasn't received it I would also cancel it out. That has to be a problem on his side and he should find a new gateway.

I would think the Admin team should inquire if we have dealer asking for extraneous personally identifiable information.

Well said, Ronin.

The Admin/Mods group have been discussing this all day. We've reached a consensus and are waiting for a couple of additional key members to chime in. When they do, we'll make a formal statement regarding how RWG views these CC requests.

By dealer, did you mean AD or a "Collector" preferred dealer here?

The dealer's name was very cleverly revealed, I suggest you reread the quoted post

Edited by subbiesrock

I made an out of country purchase with a CC a few years ago and the credit card company called to make sure it was me.

About 5 or 7 years ago I bought a dial from an AD in Denmark with a CC and had to fax them pix of the CC (front and back) plus my DL. Everything went Ok after that.

Be very careful with debit cards though. Some have theft and fraud protection, some do not.

At many banks and credit unions, one option for low cost overdraft protection involves linking the checking account to a savings account. The problem is when the two accounts are linked, anyone with access to the debit card can drain both accounts. :cry2:

I made an out of country purchase with a CC a few years ago and the credit card company called to make sure it was me.

About 5 or 7 years ago I bought a dial from an AD in Denmark with a CC and had to fax them pix of the CC (front and back) plus my DL. Everything went Ok after that.

But frankly, it is NOT required. While some stores might have an ID policy in place, while "face to face" with the cashier, it is more of a 'flash it' and they confirm the names match kinda thing. Making a digital copy of 'extra' personal information is simply NOT a payment card industry requirement. There is also a difference when dealing with a known, legitimate company, and our friends selling questionable goods from questionable places. :whistling:

Besides, the whole thing would be moot if using a Visa Gift Card with no name on it.