When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look what I picked up today!

Nanuq

She's a 1963 Series IIa, completely rebuilt and drives like a champ! She even pulled the 12% grade up to the Mountain House in 3rd gear. 66,000 miles and plenty of life left in the old girl.

post-32-130837016302.jpg

post-32-130837018693.jpg

Thanks gents! Ummmmm let's see: yes she's had a little over 1,000 miles each year since new, and spent almost all her life here in the arctic. She came with 7 boxes of parts, ALL paperwork and receipts, even back to the original letter of thanks from Land-Rover for the initial purchase. She's had much of her body work replaced so the new pieces are not yet painted red. One thing I need to do is re-cover the seats, the straw (yes, straw) is showing in two places.

Oh, and Thogaa, where is the brake light switch on this one? I believe it's the hydraulic (not mechanical) switch but I CANNOT find the 5-way tubing junction at the RH wing.

Now to come up with a name for her! I'm thinking Ol' Bumbershoot because she offers about as much protection from the elements as a leaky umbrella. :tu:

Roger that, Freddy. There's zero rust or cracking on the frame too. She still has the original muffler!

I drover her down to the Turnagain Arm Pit for some BBQ tonight and with her new 33" tires and 16" rims she reads low. An indicated 47mph is 55mph by my GPS with my foot light on the throttle. Wow!!

Couldn't be happier.

The low mileage is easy to explain.

They found her in a glacier, the 66K she did in her first 2 years. :animal_rooster:

My old man used to drive these beasts all the time but we talked him into buying a new Colorado last year, you need a bit of comfort when you're 83yo. ;)

Ken

Wasn't that in "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?

It was indeed, they called it "The Antichrist". :)

My neighbor is from S. Africa and knows the people in that movie, and get this, he speaks Bushman. He hates newer Rovers but he's just happy as a clam at high tide that I picked up this one. So what is a "son of a Moluccan"? :animal_rooster:

It was indeed, they called it "The Antichrist". :)

My neighbor is from S. Africa and knows the people in that movie, and get this, he speaks Bushman. He hates newer Rovers but he's just happy as a clam at high tide that I picked up this one. So what is a "son of a Moluccan"? :animal_rooster:

Watch out for the rebel leader, Sam Boga!

Hah! No kidding.

For Fathers' Day I took my daughter to an outdoor hotrod show, full of classics and show pieces. We pulled into the lot in the Rover and they tried to direct me over to the area for the classic cars! I told them thanks, but I was just there to look at classics, not enter my old-timer.

What a hoot! On the way home I got a chance for a little gnarly offroading and the old girl did GREAT. Even at 48 years old she's still got the moves. :tu:

Now I need to see how she does running over watches. Think she can make it in 4WD? :Jumpy: