When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Telling The Truth To Women

leeson43

after reading a lot of the boards i often notice people speaking of getting watches for their ladies and what their ladies have. out of interest do you tell her its a rep/try to explain the concept of a rep....or let her believe its the real deal?

i myself am single so wouldn't know but would be interesting to see how you lot handle it?

after reading a lot of the boards i often notice people speaking of getting watches for their ladies and what their ladies have. out of interest do you tell her its a rep/try to explain the concept of a rep....or let her believe its the real deal?

i myself am single so wouldn't know but would be interesting to see how you lot handle it?

I would buy her a used genuine, or you will be sleeping on the couch. If she's someone your not really going to stay with, tell her anything you want.

My wife has a gold Cartier rep which she loves, sometimes it's better to involve your lady in your hobby.

Think about it I have 20 reps that I fawn over but "hey sugar your watch is real"...............Trust me :evil:

Ken

My wife knows everything both about my hobby and my money income, so...

Anyway, I would never try to pass a rep for a gen to any woman as a gift.

It depends if you're lying to her about other stuff too. I'd never dream of getting Mrs Pugwash a counterfeit anything and passing it off as gen as that way madness lies.

If it was a Tag, or something reasonable, I would probably let it slide and not say that it was a rep. That's predicated on them not being your wife. If it's a girlfriend, I absolutely wouldn't say anything. I mean, that's the beauty of this, right? That we could actually get away with it....

Otherwise, why not buy her a cheap gen? I don't know. For someone outside the community, I think there's a different thought process you have to look at.

Bought a ladies Franck Muller Conquistador once and she has no clue what Franck Muller is, so it was a non-issue. I suspect, that's the most likely scenario unless you're buying her a Rolex.

I'm perfectly honest with her about my hobby. If they look nice enuff, she's tempted to get one too. So far none has caught her attention. Her comment to me was,

"wow, if they look 98% close to the original at 10% of the price, it's a good buy..."

I am lucky I guess :D

If it was a Tag, or something reasonable, I would probably let it slide and not say that it was a rep. That's predicated on them not being your wife. If it's a girlfriend, I absolutely wouldn't say anything. I mean, that's the beauty of this, right? That we could actually get away with it....

Otherwise, why not buy her a cheap gen? I don't know. For someone outside the community, I think there's a different thought process you have to look at.

Well when I ordered my first rep I showed it to my girlfriend and told her it was fake, and then she wanted a rep! So I ordered a rep for her. I wouldn't try to pass it off as real to someone I knew well, but if it was a first date or something then yeah I'd probably try to pass it off.

I'm perfectly honest with her about my hobby. If they look nice enuff, she's tempted to get one too. So far none has caught her attention. Her comment to me was,

"wow, if they look 98% close to the original at 10% of the price, it's a good buy..."

I am lucky I guess :D

I agree with you that if it's your wife, or someone you're very close to, then you should go ahead and tell them about reps....not just the one you buy for her as a gift, but your own.

Other than that, though, and this is only my perception, but I would play up the idea that it's a gen. That's based on my own values, though, and why I enjoy replica watches. I realize it's not the same for everyone. For me, I like the idea of being able to go beyond my means and get something that reflects quality and status...without there being any significant discernable difference in the perceptions of others. If there is no difference in their eyes, I don't see why I should burst that bubble. I feel clever for having found ways to get something of high value for less- so I don't feel guilty about it in any way.

That being said, if I thought that there was the potential they could mistakenly attempt to sell it at a future point as a gen, that would be an issue.

Bottom line...to me, there really is no difference between a high end rep and a gen, except in people's perceptions. Functionally and aesthetically, they're identical. I don't see it as black and white.

I wouldn't lie about it to my girl... she understands and I would rather give her a rep than haver her find out I gave her a rep if you know what I mean...

Besides... what kind of relationship are you in if you are trying to pass off a rep to your girl? I mean if you are just trying to get in some girls pants, well I guess... but that's pretty lame and if she sleeps with you for a watch, even an "expensive" watch... that's pretty dirty...

I wouldn't lie about it to my girl... she understands and I would rather give her a rep than haver her find out I gave her a rep if you know what I mean...

Besides... what kind of relationship are you in if you are trying to pass off a rep to your girl? I mean if you are just trying to get in some girls pants, well I guess... but that's pretty lame and if she sleeps with you for a watch, even an "expensive" watch... that's pretty dirty...

How would she find out you gave her a rep? I'm assuming here that we're talking about a high end rep. I also don't know if I agree that passing off a rep to a girl is an active process, in the way you're implying. If you give it as a gift, and don't get into a discussion about cost or any of that stuff, I don't see why it would have to come up. Again, I'm talking about reasonably priced watches...Tags and that sort of thing. Not Rolex or Panerai. I just think that the whole issue has a lot more to do with perception, and pre-conception about what it 'means' to be a rep to the average person than maybe we're aware.

My better-half knows exactly what I'm involved with regarding my Watch addiction...

She enjoys here Roselium & TT YM's as well as my PAM 231...

In March she will be getting a Genuine Yachty for putting up with me for 20 years...

It's the least I can do :D

TT

Bought my wife an EL DateJust to see how she did with it before considering the purchase of a gen.

140267-17182.jpg

Let me just say... She has subjected this watch to some abuse, and it keeps on ticking away. She's glad I didn't spend the money on a genuine DJ... It does everything she needs in a watch and at a fraction of the cost (and still looks great).