When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner Done (for now...)

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I just got this one finished today. I received the last piece of the puzzle (genuine 3135 movement) last week. It looked like it had been serviced recently, but I decided to go ahead and service it myself just to be sure. I am pretty happy with the way this project turned out. The one flaw, if there has to be one, is that there is a slight gap in the SEL's. Some may say that the gap3 is a deal breaker, but it doesn't bother me that much. I was going to use the etaswiss case since the bracelet fit better on that case, but decided not to since the uneven bevels on the lugs bothered me more than the gap. Here is the breakdown of this project:

Case and Caseback: TC with rehaut engraving removed by me

Movement: Genuine 3135

Dial: Genuine Luminova

Hands: Genuine Luminova

Crystal: Genuine service crystal

Retaining Ring and Bezel: Genuine

Insert: Genuine Luminova

Crown: Genuine monobloc 704

Tube: Casker 7030 tube

Bracelet: Genuine 93250

Spring Bars: Genuine

I always have a hard time deciding if the cyclops and insert are perfectly centered. I swear that it even sometimes changes if I blink. When installing the crystal, I centered the cyclops and ignored the LEC. Someone asked how the LEC was lining up, and I can say that the center point of the coronet is in line with the left line of the M is Swiss Made. Thanks to all of those that offered help and advice during this project. I appreciate it. Anyway, on to the pics:

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_00012.jpg

The total price break down is of no matter to me. I knew that it would be an expensive project when I started. I had been collecting most of these parts for over a year and had them on my WM9/BK V2. I recently decided to take it to the next level and bought the case, dial, hands, and movement. Since I already had most of the parts, I thought it was cheaper to buy the extra parts needed rather than buy a genuine sub. Most, if not all, of the parts were bought brand new as well. The dial, crystal, insert, and bracelet were still in the Rolex packaging. You may be correct that I possibly could have bought a genuine used Submariner for the price I paid in parts (or close to it), but I guarantee that it would not be in the condition of what I have. Anyway, here is the price break down for this build:

Case: $200

Movement: $1300

Dial: $450

Hands: $200

Crystal: $180

Retaining Ring and Bezel: $450

Insert: $100

Crown: $40

Tube: $20

Bracelet: $800

Spring Bars: $20

Total: $3760

I can certainly appreciate the enjoyment of doing it yourself, but with build costs being so close to the price of a gen, I would have gone with the gen or built a rarer model.

That said, I think you did a fantastic job on this. The final result speaks for itself.

I think it is also worth noting that while most members of gen forums look down on us, the amount of skill & craftsmenship here (not just the projects, but, also, the photography) is lacking over there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys. The sanding of the rehaut was not that difficult at all. Just go slow and try not to round off the top edge.

I tested it to 10 atm and it passed, so I am not too worried about it. I still won't shower with it, but I won't freak out if it gets a little wet :)

Fantastic piece, a job well done :good::drinks: With regards the build/purchase price point, sure, a purchase would be 100% gen, but it would never have that "I built that..." satisfaction :tu:

You could always take it apart and then put it back together to get that feeling, haha.

But $1300 for the movement is a great price.

• Like 1

I can certainly appreciate the enjoyment of doing it yourself, but with build costs being so close to the price of a gen, I would have gone with the gen or built a rarer model.

That said, I think you did a fantastic job on this. The final result speaks for itself.

I think it is also worth noting that while most members of gen forums look down on us, the amount of skill & craftsmenship here (not just the projects, but, also, the photography) is lacking over there.

I could not agree more...

Stunning job. The attention to detail is quite evident and the photos really help display that. While it did cost a lot of money, it is money spent over a long period of time and the satisfaction of building it yourself is absolutely priceless. I promise you, this watch will have way more meaning and be far more special to you because of that. Anyone can drop a load of cash and buy a gen. Building one yourself takes it to a whole new level of appreciation!

Bravo good sir. Bravo :tu:

The total price break down is of no matter to me. I knew that it would be an expensive project when I started. I had been collecting most of these parts for over a year and had them on my WM9/BK V2. I recently decided to take it to the next level and bought the case, dial, hands, and movement. Since I already had most of the parts, I thought it was cheaper to buy the extra parts needed rather than buy a genuine sub. Most, if not all, of the parts were bought brand new as well. The dial, crystal, insert, and bracelet were still in the Rolex packaging. You may be correct that I possibly could have bought a genuine used Submariner for the price I paid in parts (or close to it), but I guarantee that it would not be in the condition of what I have. Anyway, here is the price break down for this build:

Case: $200

Movement: $1300

Dial: $450

Hands: $200

Crystal: $180

Retaining Ring and Bezel: $450

Insert: $100

Crown: $40

Tube: $20

Bracelet: $800

Spring Bars: $20

Total: $3760

. People say u could of purchased a gen for that price but the beauty is ure not kicking out 4 grand in one shot! Is a lot easier on the wallet when is in small increments.