When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

crazy prices in the trade section ?!

Star69

am i missing something ?!

why are so many Subs for sale atm ?

and why are the prices to freaking high ?! even for the shitty WM9 V3s ?!

don't i get for $500 a nicer brand new watch from TC ? :huh::snorkel:

cheers,

Frank

Guest zeleni kukuruz

The time of the wm9 and tw is over i guess, guess thats way people are selling now when TC sub is out! The prices are high especely now when tc selling a brand new "gen taker" submariner for a little more then 500$.

But many members have putt in alot of gen parts in there wm9 and tw subs guessing thats what makes the price high. But can you realy calculate getting payed for every gen part you put in if your going to sell some day? I dont calculate with that when i mod my watches with gen parts! But i realy dont know, like always ;)

I wouldn't say that the WM9s are done with. They are an excellent choice and am nowhere near selling mine anytime soon although I had given it some thought recently.

What surprises me more is the amount of TCs being sold. Are people just having buyers remorse or is it the fact that it is really not worth the upgrade? I am by no means a sub expert. Slight differences in crown position don't bother me as I never really look at the crown. The SEL on my WM9s are more than satisfactory. After that, I've made a conscious decision not to put any gen parts on my WM9s. They work "out of the box". Gen parts are reserved on $10,000 and up vintage watches that I am trying to rep.

that was a little provocative ;)

even the WM9 V1 is still a nice watch - the only thing i don't understand are the prices - i thought the prices go down to a lower/normal level now

that these watches are wildly available again ....

I'm with you Star, I'm dumbfounded by the sky high prices too?? The sellers are just trying to salvage what they can from their old WM9's I think because the TC is here and is better in a few ways. They want to try to get some of the crazy high amount of money they shelled out for the WM9 back a year or so ago because they foresee the price bottoming out on the WM9 and need to move them now before they loose hundreds....

... i thought the prices go down to a lower/normal level now that these watches are wildly available again ....

The price will eventually adjust accordingly according to the market. If people buy these at current prices this may well be the "market rate", if not the prices will decrease until people start buying them then that will be the new "market rate".

Gen parts grey market has crazy prices as well, but it does not justify the premium price on a TC or WM9 Sub. If someone spends 650$ for a used gen insert and crystal that doesn't mean that you will have your money back selling that franken. I tgink that market will level the prices sooner or later

Considering the fact that that crazy pricing has been going on for years means even more crazy people are willing to pay (though asking does not mean getting).

The current prices are the current balance. There really is no problem with the prices. Problem is the crazy people wich also really is not a problem :)

The closer to gen. parts get, the lower the price of OEM will be.

I give you an example, at least from my point of view.

Unless you're a millionaire sitting on a minimum of $3 million in savings, It's wasteful, inefficient and financially stupid to pay $7,000 today for a Fiddy case set to build a Franken watch.

It's equally wasteful to pay +$2,000 for a gen. fiddy crystal and flush it in a replica case when aftermarket sapphire crystals with gen. Specs are selling in the $150 range. Especially when you know that early runs of Pam crystals had the same distortion you see in today's reputable reps.

It's wasteful to pay $900 for a gen. 111 dial and flush it in a replica Case when LH is offering a 99% identical one for 20% the cost.

It's wasteful, gullible and financially unsound to pay $2,500 for a Pam 217 case back to exhibit an Asian ETA,

when Jakob forges a 98% close

To gen. Case backs at 10% the cost.

Some prices are really over inflated..

The only gen. Parts Id be Interested in would be the movement, and sometimes the CG.

I agree with you star.

I see a 6-700$ used watch, a very nice watch mind you, but nevertheless used.

They add a gen insert maybe, and maybe a used gen crystal with chips in it...then want 12-1500$.

I don't get it at all, I've never seen this here...rg yes, but not here. I don't mind paying top money if you have a real 1:1 case or gen case, gen movement and tons of gen parts and maybe assembled and serviced by zig.. I mean anyone can get a TC for 5-600$ and grab an insert for 150$ and about be done for a whole lot less.

I spent a lot of time thinking over BK's TE sub and decided to go for it. I'd always wanted a sub, and I'm a total pushover for gen parts on Rep Rolex watches due to the improved accurateness (cyclops mag, crown shape, insert, etc.). When I bought my TW I went for gen insert, crystal, tube and crown, and I later sourced a gen 93250 clasp. I think it's visually 99%.

Do I regret having $1500+ in my TW Sub? No! Do I think I can get that back out of it? Probably not... Do I think I could ask close to it due to people's impatience and the waiting list? Probably...

Prices in the sales forums are supply and demand. Most people want the franken/highly modified build, but want the immediate gratification of finding it in the sales forum.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh?

You'll need to explain that one to me cause I'm not seeing it.

im talking about the space betw. crown and case - the red line ;)

see the second watch to show it better ...

v3.jpg

cheers,

Frank

I agree with you, Star.

I thought about selling my WM9 v2 as well, but as the only real downside on the v2 seems to be the crown position I'd rather live with that.

I paid close to 500 euros for that watch (including a repair @Domi) and if I sell it now I might get - what, 400? 350? So no, I'll keep it. It's good enough. No one notices those little flaws anyway... apart from us crazy watch geeks here that is... ;)