When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got Called Out!

Cromag

In seven or so years of wearing a wide variety of reps I have never been called out.

Perhaps the gray hair and the black Cadillac DTS have something to do with it.

I've been called out for wearing GENS. :bangin:

Just what I was thinking! I've been wearing reps since the early 2000's and have never once been questioned, though often complimented (in fact happened just today-see my wristie post!) :) However like our friend above, the suits, gray hair, and BMW may also provide some modicum of cover! :);) Best, PAM1962

We may never get a story of getting called out, unless maybe by a friend who called BS on a watch you wore. Over the years I have noticed quite a few rep Rolex watches on people, but I was not going to be impolite and call out a stranger. Some of them were very good and had me staring, but all I did was tell my wife with a chuckle. So I guess you probably would never know when you got called out because it wasn't to your face, but hopefully was by total strangers. nana.gif

Have you ever been called out while wearing your rep? I'd love to hear some of the stories. Please share

If you search this topic, you'll see a few amusing stories about members being called out in business meetings, in bars, at outdoor cafes (wearing a gen) .. I tell a story of how the obnoxiously rich wife of my wife's company CEO called out my wife's boss at a dinner party not on her watch but on her John Hardy custom jewelry .. it was gen too.

In seven or so years of wearing a wide variety of reps I have never been called out.

Perhaps the gray hair and the black Cadillac DTS have something to do with it.

Well, the grey hair is gone, never cared for Cadillacs, but have a Lincoln (Wife's SUV) I drive a pickup! But same story, never, and I have worn my Rolex reps into jewelry stores that sell Rolex, never had a second glance. I did have a guy walk almost across a restaurant in Destin FL several years ago, staring at my PAM rep, he got up to my table, and asked "Where did you get that beautiful Alligator strap"? It was a rreally nice HKTan Dark Green Gator. I Showed him my watch, he looked at the strap, I told him how to find the seller, he thanked me and walked off.I don't believe he even noticed my watch!

I have said it before, and here goes again, If you look like you can afford the watch on your wrist, there is hardly a chance that someone will say anything. If you are delivering Pizzas for Domino's and you are wearing a Rolex 6538 on your wrist, or a Breguet, then you may elicit some curiosity.Most folks can't tell a Rolex from a Timex, and furthermore they don't care. unless you are a WIS, a watch is a watch is a watch. Shiny case, Black/White dial, keeps time that's all they care about.

• Like 1

There are some great old stories on here ... if you check the search you will find a few I am sure mate.... (PS That aint a dig but a genuine reference to some good stories)

I have been called out myself but both times they were gen PAMs.... and one guy calling it was wearing a rep PAM 250... :)

There are some great old stories on here ... if you check the search you will find a few I am sure mate.... (PS That aint a dig but a genuine reference to some good stories)

I have been called out myself but both times they were gen PAMs.... and one guy calling it was wearing a rep PAM 250... :)

Haa! LOL The reverse call out!! Love it.

What the hell does PAM represent? Panerai, but why PAM?

Once, many years ago, I got called out by a waiter. At the time, I did not know enough about gen details to realize how obvious the rep I was wearing actually was. The incident was very embarrassing to say the least. This was long before the Web, when reps were not as ubiquitous (or accepted) as they are today. My waiter obviously knew alot more about watches (at that time) than I did, but that was the 1st & last time I ever got called out. The experience motivated me to educate myself on gens because I do not like to make the same mistake twice.

I have worn my reps over the years In a varity of circumstances....and never once was questioned. I think the main reason is I dont flaunt my reps..I just wear them like I would any other watch. I put them on my wrist is go about my business.

But If you try to hard to convice someone that you just purchased a $5000.00 watch and drive a $2000.00 car....well you know. ;) The only reason I could see someone being called out Is....wearing a cheep rep Into a AD...and showing It off....which Is a really stoopid. The other is trying to convince someone that your ticking sub is a gen. But even then most people dont know [censored] about watches or the movements In them....nor do they care.

Now watch....just my luck...I will probably get called out today :D

Mike

Haa! LOL The reverse call out!! Love it.

What the hell does PAM represent? Panerai, but why PAM?

PAnerai Model

@Mike ... I might have an issue mate... all my watches tick but never Tock :)

• Like 1

In general, as has been repeated ad nauseum, if you look like you can afford the watch you are wearing, it is less likely that anyone will suspect you. Also, doing things that draw unwarranted attention to your watch like rolling your sleeves up just above your watch (as opposed to your elbows) when it is neither cool nor a case where your sleeves might get soiled can cause strangers to view you (& your watch) with incredulity. Subtly goes a long way with watches. That is, Instead of broadcasting your watch to be sure everyone no one within eye range misses your watch, forget about it & let those occasional glimpses from under your cuff broadcast the fact that you have the confidence to broadcast yourself instead of your jewelry.

In general, as has been repeated ad nauseum, if you look like you can afford the watch you are wearing, it is less likely that anyone will suspect you. Also, doing things that draw unwarranted attention to your watch like rolling your sleeves up just above your watch (as opposed to your elbows) when it is neither cool nor a case where your sleeves might get soiled can cause strangers to view you (& your watch) with incredulity.

Oh No! You mean there is cuff & sleeve etiquette?