When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modern Love: A TC Submariner Pictorial

lhooq

i-PFVcmT4-X3.jpg

I've mentioned before how I never used to understand the appeal of the Rolex Submariner. I would read about guys obsessing over the inner surfaces of crown guards, or pulling out micrometers to measure crown-to-bezel distances on WM9s. I'd read the comparisons and the extensive, expensive mods, but... nothing. The Submariner had a common and familiar shape that failed to excite anything in my brain. Then, exactly a year ago, I got my first Sub: a gilt MBW 5512 that ChiMan12 put together. Now, the 5512 is one of my favorites, and the it led me back through familiar territory that I'd ignored the first time round.

So why the TC Sub, and why now? As stated above, it was partly because I hadn't been turned onto the Submariner prior to that 5512. But my buying one was largely because of the excellent photos and terse descriptions that TC produced to sell the watches. TC let his photography do the talking, and the quality of the pieces was obvious. Also, in the months before buying the TC Sub, I'd made a couple of big orders that didn't go through: First, I missed out on the first batch of Noob PAM127s, and didn't want to wait 3+ months for the next production run. Later, I'd gone as far as sending funds for an MBW AP Royal Oak Jumbo, only for the seller to nix the deal at the last minute. I got my money back on both occasions, but I was starting to feel like Gregory Peck with that million-pound note. (Why is it sometimes so hard to spend?) And that's when I started to notice a whole lot of chatter on the forums about yet another high-end Sub...

There's not a whole lot to say about the build, as this watch is nearly an out-of-the-boxer. It's a stock V-Series, sent without an insert. I was lucky that the only one TC had in stock was a watch that had already had its rehaut obliterated. I've never liked the RER, so a watch with an untrimmed rehaut would have definitely gone to Texas for a shave. alligoat kindly provided me with a genuine Luminova insert, so I thought I was all set. And then this happened:

i-cXLLTJv-X3.jpg

AUUGH!

Commenting in my tragic thread, sneed12 said he would fit a new insert onto the watch for free, and he wasn't kidding. I was so upset that I immediately ordered a new insert and sent it, and my poor Sub, to sneed. He worked quickly. A few days after receiving both packages, the installation was complete and sneed sent me a photo of the finished watch. It would be several more weeks until I got it back on my wrist (via vlydog), and I've been loving it ever since.

Note that, genuine insert aside, this is an unmodded Sub. It has the older datewheel overlay and the V2 (?) bracelet, both of which I'm pleased with. For now.

So here's my first modern Submariner--assuming "modern" applies to a design that was introduced in the the tail end of the 1980s. Onto the rest of the pictures:

i-R9pVt3R-X3.jpg

i-PrkWG3M-X3.jpg

i-gqWT9Cg-X3.jpg

i-Kn3PC5f-X3.jpg

i-gnpkBMj-X3.jpg

i-mcKWkjp-X3.jpg

i-5Zf3ZDv-X3.jpg

i-fFzXtwn-X3.jpg

Quick review: I like it a lot!

:elvis:

• Like 2

How do you do that M?

Anyone motivated can learn the settings of a camera, but there's so much more to it.

Your pictures belong in books. You have an incredible gift for staging for lack if the correct word.

Every pictorial you do is stunning...and this one's no different.

Thanks for posting these. Oh..and welcome to Submariner world part 2.

Ps: Have you looked into SeaDwellers yet? :)

1) Fantastic photos!

2) I told LHOOQ that I would do it for free, but he generously told me I could keep the gen pearl that was in his ruined insert, so I did get "paid" and it was very, very nice of him

3) The bezel looks like it's not pressed down evenly, the gap is a bit big on the crown side--I hope that's just the huge macro pic and the shadow exaggerating the effect! If I sent it out looking like that, I'm quite sorry!

3) The bezel looks like it's not pressed down evenly, the gap is a bit big on the crown side--I hope that's just the huge macro pic and the shadow exaggerating the effect! If I sent it out looking like that, I'm quite sorry!

I see just a bit between 5 and 10 on the insert, I think if pressed very carefully with something to protect it, it would get fixed, wouldn't it sneed12?

Thanks for the kind words, all!

I noticed the bulgy insert, too, but it seems to be seated evenly right now. However, I'm feeling a tiny amount of play on the insert, and turning the bezel takes some effort on some quadrants.

Ps: Have you looked into SeaDwellers yet? :)

I'm still finding them too bulky, though I loved miquel's MBW 1665 when I saw it in Calgary. The most likely next step in Sub World is a Snowflake. I've wanted a Snowflake even before becoming interested in Rolex Subs!

Never thought I'd see the day... But, fine looking "modern" Sub.

Now, just start scrounging Snowflake parts, that should keep "late-model zombie syndrome" from catching hold... ;)

Congrats M, and yes it is probably the 'Best out of the Box' (BOTB) sub at this point.

Thanks, M, and thanks for that first insert. I got there in the end!

Now, just start scrounging Snowflake parts, that should keep "late-model zombie syndrome" from catching hold... ;)

If you see a ceramic Sub on my wrist, it's probably safe to blame bath salts!

simply the best sub....hands down.....put on a v3 bracelet, and the new superlumed sapphire lens pearl that TC will offer soon and you have the best.

V3 bracelet, maybe, but I've already got a gen pearl on a gen 16610 insert!

E: Out-of-the-box, other than that insert.

Took my Franken TC (gen dial, crystal and insert) to town and had chance to compare it with a 2006 sub in a second hand shop selling at £4495, I have to say it was visually impossible to tell a difference (ok maybe te slight lip between crown and bezel is more prominent on the TC) obviously the gen sels were a perfect fit (but in a couple of weeks when my v3 arrives that will be sorted! )

Oh and maybe a gen crown if I can find one!

a40148a0.jpg