When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Olympic opening ceremony

watcher

Sorry mate, no offense but this was the most boring opening I can remember. Most references could only be understood by the British people (although it's directed to an international audience). The pace was slow, the visual was cluttered, very underwhelming.

The Beijing games really set the bar very high.

I think it was different than the China games, certainly, but as good or better. I just finished watching all 5.5 hours of it. Quite a marathon. The Brits don't have anything like Chinese Opera, of course, but the Chinese are not the adoptive cradle of rock n roll. So it's the Brits, hands down.

The only place they fell down was to give too much air time to the local pop star rapper on an International stage.

I thought it was amazing too. The Olympic Cauldron was breathtaking.

Did anyone notice when the German team were introduced and there was a cutaway to the nations representatives in the audience there was one chap doing what looked suspiciously like a Nazi salute?

I thought it was amazing too. The Olympic Cauldron was breathtaking.

Did anyone notice when the German team were introduced and there was a cutaway to the nations representatives in the audience there was one chap doing what looked suspiciously like a Nazi salute?

Haha I saw that.

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

I loved it!

But then I love most of these ceremonies, the planning needed to pull these things together is simple awe inspiring.

Paul Mac was a highlight for me, he never puts a foot wrong.

Ken

The ceremony managed to under cut my already extremely low expectations. A lot of stuff thrown in there (i.e. NHS or the local hospital) is not fitting for an international event, hell it's not even fitting for a local event. It's like the US have the DMV as part of the ceremony. Mr Bean was the highlight of the event, which says it all. I was live at the Sydney and Beijing opening ceremonies and there is just no comparison.

I take this was a case of "revenge of the Irish" as Danny Boyle, the director of Irish descent really embarrassed the British lot ;)

I can't understand how people can criticize an Olympic opening ceremony, surely it is obvious that what they are seeing is the best show they have seen in 4 years and the best show they will see for another 4 years.

There is really no point in comparing them with past ceremonies.

Ken

I don't think it's just a comparison with Beijing. The event was boring, cluttered and the vast majority of the references were designed for the local public not the Olympics global viewers. Granted the Bond, floating olympic rings and Mr. Bean bits where entertaining but that's about 30 min of 4 1/2 hrs of otherwise dull entertainment. With 45M I'm sure they could have done better.

I guess I didnt see the same thing you were seeing, txcollector. I thought it was highly entertaining. If you want to talk about something shamefully disastrous, look at Canada.

Maybe it's generational. Maybe you are too young to feel the strong connection of the UK to the western rock n roll culture which the event designer was heavily mining. Yes China has billions of drumming sweaty guys but England has The Beatles, The Who, David Bowie, The Clash .. Sorry China! Game, set, match.

Thought the beginning was great, ending was great, middle fell flat

Agree that the entire hour plus in the middle dedicated to the hospital for children was out of place and not entertaining to me

The whole love story whatever I also really disliked but that of course is what they tied a great mix of famous music to so I will give that a pass but think it would have been even better without the storyline behind it

Btw: anyone watch on us Tv where the horrible female announcer actually starting singing along and over the musical performance at one time

That was totally unprofessional and embarrassing

The ceremony managed to under cut my already extremely low expectations. A lot of stuff thrown in there (i.e. NHS or the local hospital) is not fitting for an international event, hell it's not even fitting for a local event. It's like the US have the DMV as part of the ceremony. Mr Bean was the highlight of the event, which says it all. I was live at the Sydney and Beijing opening ceremonies and there is just no comparison.

I take this was a case of "revenge of the Irish" as Danny Boyle, the director of Irish descent really embarrassed the British lot ;)

You're talking utter [censored].

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

I must have been watching something else because other than the molten rings the show was boring. The queen looked miserable, i love bond but that was stupid. The themes just dragged on and on. The stadium was nice. The olympic torch didnt make sense. Why is it in the middle of the stadium when it should be showing for the entire world to see?? That didnt make sense to me considering, Britain ruled 80 percent of the world at one time. The commentators made such a big deal about David Beckham and hes not even in the olympian soccer team. They had a 100 foot Voldermort, they said his wand shoots and it did nothing. Mr Bean was useless. I guess i was looking for something like the last olympics.