When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my first 5514 prototype case. Done.

highoeyazmuhudee

The cad drawings look awesome, but I have one question. Maybe it's just the pics, but it looks like the lugs are too straight when viewed from the side, just like the MBW cases? On your 5514 prototype it looks like they have a more correct downward curve. Good luck with the project, I'm buying for sure. :)

you are correct, the CAD ones are indeed based on an MBK case ( i have seen gen with straight sides mostly 90s cases). the drawings will need some refinement. i will probably thin the case and the CGs a bit more. still waiting for an actual sample in hand from these drawings because what you see in a drawing and the metal sample arent exactly the same despite being computer programmed , depends on their tooling and finishing (or so my CAD drawer tells me)

chinese new year doesnt speed this process much either, i wont know anything until the 18th or so

but any feed back you guys have is MUCH appreciated.

:good:

Case received!

First and foremost: it fits 1570 movements perfectly and the same for ETA with the ring supplied! (sorry for the pics, have to time to set up the camera)

5514_2_zps219af544.jpg

5514_1_zps4bb2997c.jpg

Endlinks fits more or less fine but need a bit of work:

5514_3_zps63169e8a.jpg

J case next to a gen 5512... who's who?

5514_4_zpsa01173f3.jpg

Finally, while I'm waiting for a proper 5514 dial I use in the test a Yuki ones (forgot to order the hands...). Nice dial for the money, I was very surprised about the quality!

5514_5_zps5be33fa4.jpg

Great job! thank you very much for your effort J, you made a nice case. My only concern is about the diameter of the inner ring, seems a bit wider than the gen. Otherwise it's a real 99,9% case!

Hope you like it ;)

Have mine already finished (well, waiting NDT comex dial) and my impressions are very positive...

HH has been done a great effort to replicate the 5514 case and he's very close to the real deal; IMHO there are only several thing to worked out:

* the inner ring of the case (where the dial sits) is a bit bold, needs to be shaved

* lugholes needs a bit of work to accomodate properly the gen 580 endlinks (the space between the hole and the case is a bit narrow so it needs to be placed a bit outside)

* the conical part of the tube hole (where the tube fits once screwed) must be wider, otherwise the gen tube once installed doesn't sit properly

Contrary as HH wrote, the bezel seems ok compared to the gen, in fact I tried both in the case and has no problem to use a gen one. Insert fits with a bit of pressure, nothing serious...

Overall, those are minor issues, HH has one of the best cases in the market and the best for sure in terms of price/quality. And he shows us a very important lesson specially now at days when there are a lot of complaints about the "professional" dealers offering pieces: we are huge community with a lot of different skills and resources... we MUST have a commitment to produce all the important part we use to make our waches: HH himself, TC, Whoopy... are working hard to bring to the light the parts we're waiting for (in most cases) or we're paying for (enormous amount of money). So, we MUST have also the commitment to help those guys to continue with their efforts... Don't know how, crowfunding, raising money for them, helping with our gen pars to get it measured, scanned or whatever, trying to organize a small group of pals to assist them... Let's debate about that!

Finally, some eye candy after vintagizing the case and adding some gen parts:

5514e_3_zpse93f9948.jpg

5514e_1_zpsc1392931.jpg

5514e_2_zps595d8162.jpg

5514e_4_zps6354cbca.jpg

5514e_5_zpsbf98d500.jpg

5514e_6_zps9b6bf909.jpg

If HH remains dedicated to this project (5513/14 cases for now)...how about members (me included) who want a case give HH $100 deposit and when the cases are done, we go to the head of the line and get a small discount plus the chance to buy more than one case? I will take two.

If it does not work out we lose the $$ but at least we tried. I would guess 30 to 50 need to ante up to make it worthwhile.

Anyone who says they will pay and does not pay gets outed on the forum and will be last in line for a case at full price.

Many of us have lost a lot more than $100 on cases so this is surely worth a shot.

I've been involved in something like this on another forum.

They took a $50 deposit and had the opportunity to pre order at a set price.

Once the product was produced the pre orders were satisfied and any extras that were built were sold at a higher price.

I'm sure if you offered people a case set for $400 on a pre order there would be plenty of people sending you a $50 deposit.

• 2 months later...