When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a deal that didnt go so well

amanamongmen

I got a watch from HikeUSA.  It is the PAM359  here http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/156006-sold-pam-359v3-pam386/

I am new to this forum as far as being registered but have been looking here a while.  I am not new to specific interest forums and have been a member to some for around 10 years.  I do a lot of buying and selling in general.   I debated whether to post this or not.  He seemed really cool until a problem arose.

First off HikeUSA shipped the very next morning.  He answered all of my questions promptly.  But once i received the watch, which was Monday   there were some deep scratches on the case back.   You can see them int the pics linked.

Now, if you notice in the forum link the the picture is of the opposite side of where the scratches are.  Also he says it has " only been worn twice" implying that the watch is in great condition.  

He offered to take the watch back for a refund,  but i like the watch and have already paid.   I didn't want to send it back, where he has watch and money especially since the attitude changed,  but i felt that maybe a small refund of $30-$40 isn't unreasonable.  

I noticed that other people have reduced there price of the watch they are selling due to small scratches that were later discovered.  If this was a surface scratch i wouldn't have minded.  But these are very deep scratches that should have been mentioned.

Now his replies of "nothing is perfect in the rep world" and "i dont mind scratches:  just don't solve the problem.    Now I was also told that i wont be sided with, which may be true.  But i dont feel it was properly described and its not to much to ask for those to be mentioned.  I wouldn't have paid the price of a excellent condition watch.

This is a good group of people here and it doesnt seem like a "take it or leave it" attitude is what this forum is all about. 

Thank you for your time in this discussion.

post-51514-0-91141400-1361579912_thumb.j

post-51514-0-67672500-1361579918_thumb.j

i like the watch,  its hard to find one used with a crystal case back,  or at least it was while i was looking.  the DEEP scratches should have been mentioned or pictured, not misled.  And after the attitude change i didnt feel comfortable sending it back.    if this is going to be the response i will just delete it.

I understand aman might be upset about the response to his issue, and I also understand that the scratches should have been mentioned, but It might not warrant a complaint. The seller gave you an alternative and you would have been made whole if you took him up on it. In doing so, He accepts that he might have been in the wrong. That alone makes this thread unnecessary. But that's just me.

• Like 1

I know hikeusa Personally and am Working on a few watches of his, he's a stand up guy. What I don't understand you say he said its only been worn twice this does not imply that its in great shape it just mean its been worn twice. I could wear a watch twice and beat the [censored] out of it. 

I have enjoyed reading hikes posts for many years, and i too believe he is a stand up guy. his offer for a full refund proves that. I also see that the community often is harsh with a newer members raising questions about deals with older members, and more often than not is that harsh respons to the newbie warranted. In this case i feel that the OP proposed the facts quite good - gave both a good description of what was the issue, and how it was proposed remedied - with a humble attitude.

sometimes i like to take a step back and turn the situation around, what would be the forum consensus if the senior member was to receive "this case" from a junior member..

side note, regardless of stated in this case or not:

MD2020 ; "been worn twice" does not imply that its in great shape! ??.. come on man, thats horse manure!  :)

Edited by miagi
  • Like 2

I'm with the others. 

He offered a full refund.

I often do the same.

"3 day inspection period if watch isnt as stated or picture"

But also look at it from hike's standpoint. You could have damaged the watch yourself. He did offer to take it back. You really cant do any better than that.

i didnt damage it myself i talked to him shortly afterr it arrived on monday.  i sent him pics on mon night when i got home.  Dont be ridiculous.      it left a bitter taste in my mouth and i wanted to bring it up,  i havent left a negative review or anything.   yes  it was stand up that he offered a review,  he turned bitter and i didnt feel comfortable sending back, he also stopped responding once i sent the pictures.   if it was on the case back i probably would have.  my point is it should have been mentioned and the pictures were on the opposite side purposely not showing the deep scratches.   sure i understand the opinion i should have sent it back but there wasnt that many of the type i was looking for.  but $30 really shouldnt have been a big deal.  

It is ok HIke told me if i mentioned anything it would go this way.  

Aman, don't feel bad. It's understandable that you're disappointed that your buy didn't go exactly as planned. However, be happy that your watch is good minus the scratches. Don't think anyone is getting on you for being dissatisfied, because you're the one who spent money, so you're entitled to state your feelings. Just take the whole situation into perspective and you'll realise that your original post and the title could have been stated in a different way, if not done away with altogether.

• Like 1

Guys I penned the following earlier thought better and copy pasted in my word file. (hate to write it again JIC) Most are aware that there is some
bad blood between Hike and me , but you know I think I got it right more so "miagi" got it right. So here it goes, now dig deep don't go with the
gut and look at it from the other side, be objective.Let me prefix by saying Hike is no scamer/get over not in the least and
is a generous and good hearted guy, but something ain't right here.............. and it ain't about this happening it is about our attitude.

Yes they should have been mentioned and as Hike is a very capable photographer I am curious as to his choice of camera angle in the sales thread seems the buyer is to. That being said  you were offered a full refund so take it or live with the imperfections.
    miagi- point well taken, something we must guard against.

Extra ,Marty- never should have had to or is it your position to sell  and if there is a defect that evident undisclosed just take it back? Hmm........

daniel- I cannot concur for reason stated above.

When someone states that he wore a watch twice. To me that means that the watch wont have the scratches i see from the op.. But to tell you the truth when i see the pic of the caseback from the seller, i dont see any type of deep scratch except on the a from Panerai. If the scratches that the op claim were there (even though they are on the other side) u would see some type of mark on the sellers pic. I dont see it. Btw i would only accept a refund if a mod is involved.

sometimes i like to take a step back and turn the situation around, what would be the forum consensus if the senior member was to receive "this case" from a junior member..

Miagi made a really good point. Hike and I go back all the way to RWG I and he is a stand up guy. Maybe just a bad call of judgement. For gods sake we all make some from time to time. I told a member to F off yesterday after he made a dozen of enquieies about servicing a watch and than never had the decency to reply back. We talked about it and I appologized. We are all humans and have different stuff going on in our lives, besides this board. We sometimes tend to forget. Mutual understanding is mandatory for a good sales transaction. That also applies to Hike.

As long as I can remember the golden rule with each sale thread is " full disclosure" and those two scratches are worth mentioning in a sales post (if they were there). Period. So from a noob perspective I can fully understand Amanamon that if the 'mood' of a seller changes you get a bad feeling about sending a watch back. Costing you extra shipping and risking not getting your money back.

There is no doubt in my mind this will get resolved soon.

• Like 1

One solution might be to return to a mutually trusted intermediary.  I may have missed something, but as I understand it the OP was offered a full refund (great) if he returned the watch, at which point he'd get the actual refund.  So it becomes a bit of a timing issue in terms of trust.  The OP also gave an original option of a small rebate.  I haven't seen the original sales thread, and everyone from here to Kathmandu knows Hike is a stand-up guy.

It will be taken care of I'm sure, I reckon just take it to PM.