When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmeister V3.0 Vintage Datewheels

ubiquitous

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:1a:

do you plan to make a silver datewheel too?

The long answer:

The problem is that either the printing or the cutting technologies (or both) we're using eliminates almost all types of material we can use to apply to the wheels--the range of products that can be used with both is very limited, and most of the possibly usable ones have to be custom made. There are a few characteristics of the vintage silver wheels that make it even harder. We're working hard trying to make something work, but it's going to take some time and a lot of trial and error...and even more money and time than we've already spent.

The short answer:

Our goal is to put the proceeds from these wheels into trying to make the holy grail--a silver wheel that works on stock movements--but we're not sure if it can be done. And even if it can, it's going to be a while. If I stare at another flat top 3 blown up 800X in an Illustrator window for another minute my head will explode.

This is a great step into the right direction. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The slower 2864 with a flat top 3 is much closer to gen.

But remember:

The Rolex 1750 had a silver datewheel which turned counterclockwise!

To get the gen look there should be a silver datewheel with flat top 3s.

that´s a further step.

To have a perfect look even in the turning direction there must be a combination of a movement turning the date counterclockwise (like AS 1903) combined with a silver date overlay or datewheel with the right direction.

But remember:

The Rolex 1750 had a silver datewheel which turned counterclockwise!

To get the gen look there should be a silver datewheel with flat top 3s.

that´s a further step.

To have a perfect look even in the turning direction there must be a combination of a movement turning the date counterclockwise (like AS 1903) combined with a silver date overlay or datewheel with the right direction.

163002-11889.jpg

Been there, done that. Didn't like the way the movements fit the case, so for me, the ETA is the better solution. YMMV.

For the record; 1570/5's originally came with the silver brushed datewheels, but are often replaced with white datewheels during service. So, technically, either color is correct.

163091-11873.jpg

Been there, done that. Didn't like the way the movements fit the case, so for me, the ETA is the better solution. YMMV.

For the record; 1570/5's originally came with the silver brushed datewheels, but are often replaced with white datewheels during service. So, technically, either color is correct.

Ubi's right about that--I've read that the majority of extant gens have white wheels due to the service replacement. But, if you really really want silver wheels please read post #29.

White or silver are good. Rolex Service Centers still use silver if they happen to have a cache of them laying around - but more often than not, you'll be gettin' a white one on your 1675, 1680, datejust, etc...

I can't wait 'til I can get my hands on one of these datewheels, gentlemen *hint *hint