When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MD2020: Deal at your own risk

Legend

You are saying Mike McNair is the fulll real name of Mike on a bike?

No. Read carefully, the symbol I used was "=/="  or "not equal to"

It is important not to confuse the Mikes mentioned here.

MD2020 = The repair guy who took our watches and never returned them. The main perpetrator in this thread.

Mike on a Bike = my friend and the guy on RWG who tried to help us recover them. A very good guy.

Mike McNair = no idea who he is. This guy was added to the thread on page 16 based on something similar he did to someone apparently.

Paneral153,

I guess such difficulties can occur even after a personal meeting! We were introduced to Mike through a mutual (and trustworthy) long-time acquaintance. He came to our home to buy a car, and a discussion about watches cropped up. He seemed talented and personable, and since he was "known" (well, sort of), we gave him an Omega Seamaster to repair, with promise he would get right to it. This was Fall of 2011! Some months later my husband inquired about the watch repair status, and Mike began a series of excuses. We were patient, giving him time when he asked for it. Finally, my husband implored him to return the watch - whether it was repaired or not - because it has sentimental value. Mike insisted to us that he still had the watch, at one point emailing a photo of the watch to prove this. My husband has tried multiple times to get the watch back. We've been more than understanding in this case. I hate thinking that someone is this unreliable, and I would love to get the watch back for my husband... even if not repaired. Is there any way you -- or someone who actually knows Mike --can help us in this? We just want our watch back.

Mrs. SCastle,

if you know where the fellow lives, actually have a physical address, I would suggest that you gather up all the correxpondence that you have including evidence if possible that the watch is yours. Take this information to the local Police Department where he lives and file a complaint. One thing that you will need is proof of ownership of the watch, because without that, he can claim that he doesn't have your watch, and if he does indeed have a similar Omega in his possession, he can claim that it's not yours, but is his property. Another possibility, depending on how proactive the local police are, you can file a claim in small claims court. If the judge rules in your favor, he would be obligated to return your watch, or one of similar value, cash in the amount of the set value of the watch, if he no longer has the watch. if he refuses, then you can enter a judgment for the amount of the award. It is very difficult for people to conduct business using credit if they have an outstanding judgment. Hard to finance a car, get a bank loan, home loan, etc. until the judgment is paid and discharged. Judgments  are infinitely renewable, so you can keep a judgment in force for a long, long time. That's about the best advice I could give you.One problem is a long time has elapsed since the watch was given over to him. I would suspect that you have copies of correspondence between you and this Mike guy. Since that much time has elapsed it's going to fall on you to prove that you have made multiple attempts over time to get your property back. If you hadn't I would say that the police are not going to be of much help if during all this time you haven't been trying actively to retrieve your property. I would be willing to bet however that your husband's watch is long gone. However you are still entitled to compensation.   

What about the guy with one eye from monsters inc?

Thats Mike Wazowski. His watch repair skills are quite limited for now..

Also his pilfering skills are limited given his lack of pockets, so he's in the clear I think?

• 2 weeks later...