When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Crown meets Little Crown

Nanuq

eduardor,  one was a beater and I restored it to exactly how it would have left the factory 55 years ago.  It took me more than 15 years to put it together.  The other one was built over the last year to look like an antique.

Can you tell which is which?  My goal is that you cannot.

Thanks but it's not quite like that.  The 6536 was much admired on the wrist of an old coot I used to cut firewood with.  It was issued to him as a spec-ops diver and at his funeral his widow gave it to me.  It was beat to hell and missing many of the original parts.  It took me actually more than 15 years to get it put back together again.

• Like 1

Thanks but it's not quite like that.  The 6536 was much admired on the wrist of an old coot I used to cut firewood with.  It was issued to him as a spec-ops diver and at his funeral his widow gave it to me.  It was beat to hell and missing many of the original parts.  It took me actually more than 15 years to get it put back together again.

Great story.

All good things come to those who wait.

Love this pair of vintage classics!

eduardor,  one was a beater and I restored it to exactly how it would have left the factory 55 years ago.  It took me more than 15 years to put it together.  The other one was built over the last year to look like an antique.

Can you tell which is which?  My goal is that you cannot.

My guess is that the small crown took you those 15 years and BC is the one built last year?

Am i right or wrong?

Just saw this post ! Very nice gift from your old friends widow. I was righ,t the case shape on it is just perfect. 

those are beautiful, truly a pair of classics. You have done and outstanding job of restoring the 6536. :notworthy:

I don't know if it's the light or my old eyes, but the color of the steel between the two appears to be different, both the cases and the bracelets. Is that age, steel type differences or just lighting?

Just saw this post ! Very nice gift from your old friends widow. I was righ,t the case shape on it is just perfect.

Boy are you right about that. I have another one, also beat to hell, also given to me at a dear friend's funeral. It too was his working dive watch. I guess to the widow it's just his old watch, given and forgotten. To me it's something I wear and spend a day thinking about the time we had together.

The case shape on the old timers is amazing. It's no wonder the factories can't get it right. Just amazing. :wub:

The watch could NOT have been given to a better man!

Better to love and treasure it than to just bin it! (She might have done that you know)

Edited by asciwhite

the color of the steel between the two appears to be different, both the cases and the bracelets. Is that age, steel type differences or just lighting?

Well spotted! There is a very very subtle difference between them. It took a long time to find the band on the 6536, it's a perfect steel color match. It's an early Yuki 7206. Likewise the band on the Big Gonzo perfectly matches its color, that's the MQ 7206. If I swap the bands then both watches look "wrong" it's that subtle. This way they both look "right".